prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
I made my own rack!
07/17/14 at 14:29:21

I took my seat off and replaced it with one off of a V-Star, I think, much bigger and nicer. I have no screamer seat and even took off the back pegs. Having someone ride with me might be nice on a rare occasion, but 99% of the time it is just me.  However, I still wanted/needed a way to haul a little stuff around. Picking up something from town, whatever.

There was a post on here before about welding, do you do it, and so forth. I have a good friend who is a good welder, we talked and talked about making me a rack for my bike, but when he was not busy I was and so forth. He finally told me, "If you have grinder, you can be a welder."

So I guess I is a welder now!  Cheesy I had the basic idea in mind, had the metal laying around that I had scrounged from here and there. Not sure where I acquired the expanded metal, he said it looked like it came from a boiler. The frame and legs are off of an old windmill momma had that bit the dust. The spacer under the bolt in the middle, which you really can't see, it's under the bolt in the top view, is a 30-06 case with the bolt ran through it. (You can see the bolt if you look through the grate to the left of the bolt!) Except for a few grinding wheels and some sweat, I don't have much in it at all.

I know there is a weld that has broken, when I get a chance I'll take it off and fix that. The bolts on the side are holding links of chain that I can attach my bungee net to, not really happy with them, thinking more of some D-ring kind of things, but just haven't been able to find exactly what I want. Who would have thought a D-ring would be that had to find?! The bolts will match up with the saddle bags I have, so I can bolt the bags right to the rack with no trouble. I know I'll have to move the turn signals to be able to do that, but one step at the time.

My wife complained a little it was too "utilitarian" looking, but I said it was for me to use, not for people to look at. She agreed and that was that. Overall I am very happy with it.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: I made my own rack!
Reply #1 - 07/17/14 at 14:54:20

Really diggin' it.  Looks perfect on your bike.  See if  you can attach another pic from further away with the whole bike.
My favorite aspect is you get the solo seat and all the fender ugly is hidden by your custom rack.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #2 - 07/18/14 at 04:54:40

Looks good! I'm like Tocsik, I'd like to see a pic of the whole bike.

Was the seat hard to fit?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/18/14 at 06:11:15

Welding opens up a whole new realm of possibilities! Wink

For the tie downs you might consider cutting the chains links you have in half, drilling some holes in the sides of the rack frame that match the spacing of the half-links, and then pushing the links through the holes and welding them in place on the backside where the links come through the holes.  They would then just look like some loops extending out of the sides.

Or........ if you wanted to use the existing bolt holes you have, you could take a steel bar the size of the bolts and bend the ends so they would pass through the holes and weld them on the inside.  That would make 2 bars on each side.....with a small space between them in the middle.

Or you could just use a flat bar on each side that had holes that matched the existing holes in the rack frame.  You could use bolts that had spacers that would space the flat bars out 1/4 inch from the existing frame.  The flat bars could be aluminum or stainless.....to you could polish them up and make them shiny.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/18/14 at 07:46:18

Very jealous! I am taking the winter off and studying welding under a friend so I can have some fun like this too.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/18/14 at 08:04:28

Not bad. Replace your side bolts with eye bolts set vertically.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 07/18/14 at 08:17:09

Here are a couple of pictures of the whole thing, neither are very good, but they were the best I could do today.

All the D-rings I have found have been too big for my taste. I have seen some online, but the shipping to get them here was more than the rings. Just can't quite go that route.

Dave, I have thought about welding the links on, but not the other things you mentioned. I like those ideas though.

WD. I thought about eye bolts, but I tapped the holes metric, to keep the bike the same. Finding metric eye bolts in Washington, NC is about like finding, well, you can imagine.

I like the ideas though, when I finally decide what to do, I'll fix the crack. In the meantime I'll try to get a better picture with something besides my back steps.

Drestakil, the seat has been on long enough I can't remember all the details about mounting it, but it wasn't hard. Honestly, I haven't had the seat off since I put it on. Seems like I bent a piece of metal to make a bracket to mount to the stock mounting points on the bike and fastened it to the stock mounting points in the seat. As best I can remember this one mounted in similar fashion to a solo seat on my old '87, just this one was much larger.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/18/14 at 08:39:28

Nice job.   Smiley

I'd love a piece of that "expanded metal" which I believe is just perforated.

I'd bend it in a big U shape to match the fender and sandwich it with the side rails.

Cut to shape, pound to match.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 07/18/14 at 09:59:44

A little off topic but what fork bag is that you have on there?  And, does it lock?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
jman

Central Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/18/14 at 10:41:11

I like the concept.

The execution could be cleaner, but then I also learned all of my maintenance and fabrication skills from my dad, who was a precision welder before he retired.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/18/14 at 11:08:36

I usually build them out of round bar.That way you can just hook your bungees to it.But however,if it works...ya did it right.  Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #11 - 07/18/14 at 11:14:20

Nice.  Your welding is better than mine. I'm coming over. Smiley

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #12 - 07/18/14 at 12:45:39

Tocsik, I have no idea about the fork bag, I picked it up at a yard sale and before I left the guy just gave it to me. It didn't have a strap to attach it to the forks, so I went to the Goodwill and bought a child's belt. And BOOM! it had a strap!  Cheesy

Demin, I like the round stock, but my bungees just slide back and forth on that, I have some round rails on my truck and they end up being more for decoration that practicality.  Huh

And Bailingwire, I pity your welding, but come one over and we'll dob something together. Just make sure we have plenty of grinding wheels.   Grin

prechermike   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 07/19/14 at 06:59:35

That's true.I looked again and saw you had the net style.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/24/14 at 03:38:40

Very cool! I was thinking about looking for a spare back seat to cut apart and make into a rack, this is a much better take on it.

<saves all pics...> Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:41:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I made my own rack!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.