Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cylinder compression
Reply #15 - 09/18/14 at 13:10:22

0.1mm so if:

25.4 mm is equal to 1 inch.

2.54mm is equal to 0.1 inch

0.254mm is equal to 0.01 inch

Then: 0.1mm/0.254 = 0.003937 inch

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/18/14 at 13:23:31

Well,thank you,Dave.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #17 - 09/18/14 at 14:21:07

as i wrote earlier I have modified my camchain adjuster similar to a verslavy, but I did not change the chain for a new one..
could the chain be stretched so much that it messes with the ignition timing, causing my problems?

have tested with mainjets between 135 to 152,5 and nothing seems to work, no actual power and it does not rev as it should..

could it be the "ignitionbox" under the left sidecover that is broken?

really thougt that fixing my valves and getting nice comp value was the solution...  Angry

any suggestions are welcome  Wink
/Thomas

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/18/14 at 14:53:21

You sure the slide is not sticking? Have you pulled the air intake off and manually lifted it? You know it's a vacuum thing.. you might consider hooking up a test,put a hose on the carb and suck on it,I have no idea what it actually Takes to lift the slide.. But,there are some pretty smart guys here who just might have an answer for you. There Are vacuum test tools and a resourceful guy Can figure out ways around spending money.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #19 - 09/19/14 at 09:19:28

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/14 at 14:53:21:
You sure the slide is not sticking? Have you pulled the air intake off and manually lifted it? You know it's a vacuum thing.. you might consider hooking up a test,put a hose on the carb and suck on it,I have no idea what it actually Takes to lift the slide.. But,there are some pretty smart guys here who just might have an answer for you. There Are vacuum test tools and a resourceful guy Can figure out ways around spending money.

The slide moves nice and easy...

Would the bike even run as smooth at idle and be as easy to start if I have misaligned the camchain a teeth or two?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 09/19/14 at 09:31:32

I've never seen a motor that ran with the timing chain off one tooth. Not saying it can't happen,I just don't Know. Did this problem Start when you were doing something with the cam chain?

IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #21 - 09/19/14 at 09:38:37

Bought the bike this spring, had not been running for a while, and was not running ok .
The price was right and as I was rebuilding it bobber style I figured that new gas, cleaning the carb, new airfilter and new jets would do the trick...

I was wrong  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 09/19/14 at 10:54:38

Well,how does it run if you stop and just Take Off hard? A good running one should have enough acceleration to make you grin a little. What's an acceptable,Ohh say, zero to forty.. ooops uhh, 64.3kilometers per hour time guys? I was making it to 60 mph in real close to 6 seconds,but mine wasn't stock.
Do you know how to get a hold of the guy who sold it to you? Maybe he can tell you what started it all..Just stay nice.. I don't know what is wrong,but it RUNS and doesn't sound like it's eating its own guts so I'm gonna say it's gonna be okay. Might wind up peeling the top off and looking at the timing,but I think you can check it without that. There are timing marks inside the plug on the left side. If those are lined up,And you're on the compression stroke,not exhaust,then with the piston at TDC compression the valves should be closed and be at,whatever you said,,.1mm,wasn't it?
I know you adjusted the valves and they were closed when you did it,but did you check the timing marks on the crank shaft to get it there? Turning the crank the same way the tires roll? If you did all that then the crank and cam are as timed as well as can be. IMO even though the chain IS longer now,all that does is slightly retard the valve timing. As long as the cam lobes are not worn down it should run okay. You said you have modified the chain tensioner,,that is a good thing, but how close together are the chain sides now? Can you poke a finger in there?
GUYS how much can the tensioner push a tired old chain? I know it can't be allowed to push the chain over till it touches,that would be bad news..

IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #23 - 09/19/14 at 11:38:57

It does not make me grin  Tongue
I bought it from a dealer who traded it in for a job he did not get paid for, so I don´t think thats gonna help me.

I´m aware of the timing marks, to bad I can´t doublecheck the marks on the cam together with the crank and piston at tdc.
darn rubberplug ... gets me wondering if I got it right ???

Yes turned it ccw.
and yes there is still space for a finger between chainsides.

As you say, it runs and if I´m gentle it cruises... but no power or acceleration  Undecided

Thanks
/Thomas

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 09/19/14 at 12:26:10

You can "Prove"the timing. Pull the plug on the side and get it to TDC compression. If you have the valves set right BUT the adjusters on the intake side are set obviously different depths in the rockers than the exhaust side,the cam is off.
I don't know if that's even Possible,but at this point,what have you got to lose? That's what I would do..
You might wanna pull the plug and rotate the crank,not with a ratchet,but a breaker bar or something you can control the crank and not allow it to turn any more than you want. You can rotate it 180* and look at what the valves are doing,rotate,inspect,etc.
Be anal,analyze it. IF you go.

Oops got to go..

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #25 - 09/19/14 at 13:26:20

How about the fuel tank pet c0ck? could be the diaphram has started to leak.
 If the cam is off a tooth I would think you would get some backfires through the carb or out the exhaust.
 Sounds like a fuel or carb problem not engine timing or spark.
Is the carb put together right?
I just rejetted my '02 and put the little plate in upside down. The bike would start but not run very well.
 Took a couple of hours to figure it out, the dimple goes down, not up.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #26 - 09/19/14 at 15:32:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/19/14 at 12:26:10:
You can "Prove"the timing. Pull the plug on the side and get it to TDC compression. If you have the valves set right BUT the adjusters on the intake side are set obviously different depths in the rockers than the exhaust side,the cam is off.
I don't know if that's even Possible,but at this point,what have you got to lose? That's what I would do..
You might wanna pull the plug and rotate the crank,not with a ratchet,but a breaker bar or something you can control the crank and not allow it to turn any more than you want. You can rotate it 180* and look at what the valves are doing,rotate,inspect,etc.
Be anal,analyze it. IF you go.

Oops got to go..

Thanks for this, I will check this tomorrow  Smiley

Ed L, I´ve changed to a raptor
I´m also leaning towards fuel or carb
I really think that I have put it back just right, but I will check that as well.

Feel free to suggest more, need all the help I can get  Wink

/Thomas

IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #27 - 03/04/15 at 13:53:31

Hi all

2 workshops have now tried to find out whats wrong with my bike and failed...
neither have found a solution Sad
the carb has been checked a number of times and main jets between 135 to 152,5 have been tried with actually no improvement what so ever.
bought a used "cdi" unit but still the same
the bike will not rev as it should and has no power.
it runs fine if I´m gentle and cruises up to 55-60 mph.

what to do?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 03/04/15 at 14:23:26

Have you checked the cam timing?
1 tooth off will cause this problem.
If new chain, cam marks will align with head,
used chains will be slightly up at the front
at max chain stretch cam will be close to 7° retarded.

WWW   IP Logged
Thomas Högberg

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vårgårda, Sweden
Reply #29 - 03/04/15 at 22:27:20

I thought I did when I assembled it....
So, now I have to tear the top down again you say..
Hmm, really looking forward to that  Wink
Thanks for your answer, suspected that this might be the problem.
I did not change the chain, just so that I have understood, the front cam mark, closest to the frontwheel, will be slightly up?

/Thomas

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:25:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder compression

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.