Send Topic Print
Cafe Cable Runs (Read 87 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Cafe Cable Runs
02/26/15 at 05:18:12

Last night I installed a decompression lever that Dave made. It's a real nice bit of kit and if you need an alternative method for engaging the decompression lever, I highly recommend it.

Anyway...as I was ziptie'n it all back together I got to looking at the clutch cable run. The layout of the clutch cable has been bothering me for the last couple of weeks and last night I really wanted to find the Goldielocks solution. Both the throttle cable and clutch cable are run so they cross behind the headlight (in front of the forks) and run down the opposite side of the frame. This works well for the throttle cable, but there is just way too much clutch cable...it's just everywhere.

One of the problems is the 90 degree preformed radius at the lever side of the cable. Because of this attachment I can't seem to get a nice sweeping arc on the cable. To reduce some of the extra cable run I have the cable running behind the upper cross brace and down alongside the battery box.

Is there a better solution?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cafe Cable Runs
Reply #1 - 02/26/15 at 07:45:18

Yep....you buy a kit from Venhill and make your own cable...without the 90 degree bend, and just the correct length for your Cafe' bike.  It just takes a couple of cuts, a bit of solder....and "Bob's Your Uncle!".

You do need a soldering flux however that works on steel - the paste that works on copper and brass is not correct.  Acid core solder can be used - but getting the acid flux is much tidier.  I also found that it is a bit hard to tin the cable without overheating it.  It is better to put a piece of flat steel in your vice and have a molten pool of solder in the top - then apply flux to the end of the cable and roll the cable end in the molten solder.

http://www.venhillusa.com/venhill-universal-motorcycle-clutch-cable-kit.html

You might have to order a fitting or two to get the correct end fitting size.
http://www.venhillusa.com/products/cable-kits-and-parts.html

And you might want to order enough to make 2 cables....and make the second cable as a completed spare for your travel kit.

Or....you might be able to cut the clutch end off the inner cable, then pull the inner cable out, cut the 90 end off the outer cable and cut the outer cable to the length that works for you, and then and install a new straight end fitting from Venhill.  You can then put the inner cable back in and cut it to length, and install a new fitting on the end.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 02/26/15 at 08:48:18

Hmmm, I can solder pipe, but I've never been happy with my own results with wire & cable. I may look into a custom cable from Motion-Pro or someone else.

« Last Edit: 03/06/15 at 05:06:35 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #3 - 03/05/15 at 11:06:35

I buy all my custom cables from Motion-Pro including a custom clutch and rear brake cable for my savage powered café.  I have had very good luck with them.  They build exactly what I ask for.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:16:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Cable Runs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.