Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Newbie with questions-several (Read 352 times)
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie with questions-several
07/13/14 at 16:31:35

I bought an S40 about a month ago. It was used with 575 miles on it and now has just over 1K miles. I had the 600 mile service done at the Suzuki dealer. There have been no modifications thus far.

First thing I did was maneuver the bike in the garage. I forgot how easy the rear lights break. They are plastic mounted pieces of junk. So now I am looking for a new left rear light. It still works. I tried to superglue it. I ended up supporting it with duct tape.

Anyone know where I can get a light?  I am not wanting to do any modifications with the electrical. Nor do I want to pay $100 bucks at the dealer to have another plastic piece of garbage.

Then, there is little space for the toes to get under the shift lever on the left. My boots do not fit - the toe gets stuck which is not good. I don't like riding in my tennis shoes.  Tennis shoes seems to be all that would fit.

Does anyone know if that lever is adjustable?  Or should I go out and hunt for some boots that have a toe area that is quite low, vertically?

I took my bike in for the 600 mile service.  It is running rich now after the service at the dealers. Today I was riding in a group of bikes. I noticed my bike backfiring an unusual amount of times - more than normal. The poor guy behind me had to back off and stay a distance from me.  He was getting gassed by my bike.

I would like to know how to adjust this. I don't want to gas any more guys out, and the mileage is not the best right now. It is running too rich.

I am not very mechanical, but can follow directions.  I have basic metric tools.

Thank you.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Newbie with questions-several
Reply #1 - 07/13/14 at 18:40:48

Congratulations on buying a great bike.  If you haven't looked lately, all turn signals are plastic and fragile, many bite the dust in garage accidents.  Check the market place section for deals on turn signals.  Also, a few months ago someone ran a thread on turn signals identical to the OEM signals from a third party supplier for a fraction of the cost of the same thing from Suzuki.  There is a search function under the CPanel tab but it is a little tricky to use.

I would be very surprised if the dealer made your bike run richer, the back firing is probably because it is lean.  There are couple inexpensive things that can be done, the air screw adjustment and the white spacer mod.  Check the index in the tech section and you will find information on both.  If you are convinced it is running rich, ask the dealer what they did and let the guys here know.  There is a fix for almost everything.

The shifter is adjustable.  Take a look at the linkage and you'll see how it's done.  Every bike I have owned in recent years was set too low for my preferences but I was able to adjust them upwards.  However, riding boots that are somewhat tapered at the end would be nice, I've been looking for a pair, mine are also bulky.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 07/13/14 at 18:57:38

What year is your S40?  Does it have the '05 or newer style turn signals that are pure plastic, or the '04 and older ones with the big rubber bushing in the middle?  I was able to fix mine the first few times with Gorilla Glue by splinting the broken light up until it sets.  You can also prop a few things up to apply a light pressure as it dries.

All of the answers were spot on.  Good luck, and welcome! Cool

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 07/13/14 at 20:06:10

If you think it is running rich, check your choke. If it is pulled out the bike will run, but it will definitely be rich. They might have choked it to start it in the shop and forgot to push it back in. Not that I've ever done that before..... Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/13/14 at 22:02:59

Spedie wrote on 07/13/14 at 16:31:35:
Does anyone know if that lever is adjustable?  Or should I go out and hunt for some boots that have a toe area that is quite low, vertically?

The link has 2 lock nuts, loosen both and turn the link to raise the knob.  Then tighten both lock nuts.

Quote:
Today I was riding in a group of bikes. I noticed my bike backfiring an unusual amount of times - more than normal. The poor guy behind me had to back off and stay a distance from me.  He was getting gassed by my bike.

check the bolts on the header and muffler, if loose it'll cause it to backfire when shifting.
and the bike is epa lean from the factory.  most likely it is not rich.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/14/14 at 03:13:36

Learn how to use 5 minute epoxy. Fashion a wire splint. I have used only Devcon for years. I use so much I buy the plastic bottles,not the squeeze tubes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/14/14 at 05:25:39

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Here is the answer to your questions:  The bike is a 2013.

I will check and double check all the things you all have suggested and report back.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 07/14/14 at 05:50:36

Regarding the rear turn signal, you can epoxy with it in the bike, but make sure you have electrical tape to hold it till it sets.  If you want it to look good I would take it off and do it right.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/14/14 at 12:06:06

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/14/14 at 12:38:21

Probably functionally compatible with rear, 2 wire, turn signal only.
will not mount the same as stock though, only a 10mm stud and nut.
whereas stock has a non threaded plug w/a smaller lock screw.
would be ok if you're gonna relocate to a bracket behind the license plate.

WWW   IP Logged
markallan00
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/14/14 at 12:40:11

Spedie.   I bought some similar not realizing these use bolts and nuts to secure to the bike and not the set screw.

IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/14/14 at 12:59:22

I have been unable to find the thread on this forum where "someone ran a thread on turn signals identical to the OEM signals from a third party supplier for a fraction of the cost of the same thing from Suzuki".

I have literally looked for hours today.  I have tried the CPanel search.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/14/14 at 13:49:29

WWW   IP Logged
Spedie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/14/14 at 15:42:56

Thanks verslagen1. I have emailed the eBay seller to make sure it will fit on an S40, as this part is for an S50.  This will save me $50 if it works!

IP Logged
BobH

2008 Stock S40; 2015
Stock S40

New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 07/14/14 at 16:02:57

Spedie wrote on 07/13/14 at 16:31:35:
Then, there is little space for the toes to get under the shift lever on the left. My boots do not fit - the toe gets stuck which is not good. I don't like riding in my tennis shoes.  Tennis shoes seems to be all that would fit.

As mentioned by others, the link is adjustable, but since it works like a turnbuckle, one of the lock nuts is a REVERSE thread.  I believe it is the front lock nut.  So, be careful when loosening the nuts.

Bob
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:19:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with questions-several

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.