Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thinking of buying but worried about cam chain (Read 117 times)
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Thinking of buying but worried about cam chain
07/13/14 at 12:33:27

Hi everyone,
I negotiated a Deal on a 95 savage 650 for $1200 but I'm worried about the issues with the cam chain. I don't know if I want to buy a bike where I have to keep worrying about the engine failing and I really don't want to wrench. Just get on and go. It has around 11k on it. New tires,new belt, aftermarket pipe and rejetted.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Thinking of buying but worried about cam chain
Reply #1 - 07/13/14 at 12:38:02

There is no reason to fear wrenching, as it really isn't that difficult.  There really isn't a constant worry about the engine failing, either.  With that bike, I'd plan on opening up the side cover around 15K miles to do the very simple install of a versy modded tensioner.  From there, you can "get on and go" for many more riding seasons without worry.  Between that and replacing the vacuum operated petcock, this bike is as bulletproof as anything else on the market.  Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Sterns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Milford, CT
Reply #2 - 07/13/14 at 12:56:09

On a scale from 1-10 host hard is it. But keep in mind my mechanical ability is very minimal. The only thing I have ever done on a bike was oil change, front brake pads, and removing front wheel.

Here's a link to the bike
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/4549252585.html

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 07/13/14 at 13:20:29

Sterns wrote on 07/13/14 at 12:56:09:
On a scale from 1-10 host hard is it. But keep in mind my mechanical ability is very minimal. The only thing I have ever done on a bike was oil change, front brake pads, and removing front wheel.

Here's a link to the bike
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/4549252585.html

For 1200.00  that's a bargain and you can probably even afford to have someone do it for you. I did my cam chain tensioner. I'd say it's probably a 5 and you can do it all on a Saturday if you can follow instructions carefully. There are lots of detailed instructions on the forum and people respond pretty quick to requests for help if  you get stuck.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 07/13/14 at 13:26:52

Verslagen, who makes the extended tensioners may be able to point you to a thread in the tech section which will tell you how to install his tensioner. There are also threads on this forum which demonstrate what the tensioner rattle sounds like. Some one with more computer savvy than I can give you the links. There is also a video post on how to install a Raptor Petcock and threads which give the proper Yamaha Raptor part number. As HondaLavis points out you may get several thousand more miles before worrying about the tensioner. Alternately you could buy a Verslagen tensioner and have a mechanic install it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/13/14 at 14:19:01

I don't think a 1995 will sell for $1800. 1200 to 1500 would be more like it but it does have allot of aftermarket and new parts on it. If it's got current inspection, plates and title in sellers name, ready to ride $1500 tops. I wouldn't worry too much about cam chain tensioner. Almost all Japanese bikes have cam chains and tensioners. At least this one only has one carburetor to fool with and the belt drive is really nice too. And it's a thumper!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/13/14 at 14:32:33

Sp rates it a 5, I might go lower 3 to 4.  there's not anything really tricky about it, just remember not to over torque the cover bolts.

'ell, if you're in the neighborhood, buy me lunch and I'll put it in for you.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

As far as charging more for "aftermarket" mods... it had one before you started... right?

WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 07/13/14 at 15:51:22

I wouldn't worry about regular maintenance.  You'll see that on any bike you pick, no matter what.  However, straight pipe exhaust isn't exactly a positive.  Sucks power and turns it right into noise.  Wink

This bike is a hard one to judge.  Aftermarket bars look like the newer style stock ones.  Pegs and forward controls are nice.  New tires make a big difference.  Belts have a looong service life.  Why did they replace it - or did they?  All said and done, it wouldn't be a bad deal.  I'd recommend changing the exhaust, and that goes hand in hand with re-jetting.  That might sound scary to you, but you'll find an army of mechanics on this forum waiting to give you their best advice.  Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/14/14 at 04:23:21

Most bikes have their weak spots....the good news about the Savage is we have them identified and also have figured out how to fix them at home.  The head plug, vacuum petcock, and cam chain tensioner can all be corrected rather easily.

Update your Personal Profile to include your location....maybe there is someone in your area who could help.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 19:01:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking of buying but worried about cam chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.