Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What causes and how to fix acceleration flat spot? (Read 102 times)
goofballs
YaBB Newbies

Ride Safe!

Torrance, CA
What causes and how to fix acceleration flat spot?
07/07/14 at 23:15:10

I have a 2013 Suzuki Boulevard S40 which has developed a flat spot at about 70 mph. When rising on the freeway the bike stops accelerating but keeps speed and won't go over 70 mph. It has a long delay in some cases taking 1 minute or more in wide open throttle for it to start accelerating again.

Does anybody know the cause and how to fix it?

I have taken it to a repair shop but they say the bike runs lean and that is the reason. They say they are not allowed to richen up the mixture due to CA laws but I have a hard time trusting them.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What causes and how to fix acceleration flat s
Reply #1 - 07/07/14 at 23:46:05

sounds like you have a sticky slide.

add a couple ounces of seafoam to your gas tank.

or remove and clean.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/08/14 at 04:52:03

If it ran good once, and now doesn't - then it is most likely an issue with dirt or gum in the fuel system.

Since it will eventually respond, I doubt that it is dirt in the jets, and Verslagen is most likely on the right track with the sticky slide.

Sounds like a carb cleaning is needed.....or you can try SeaFoam and see if it does any good.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/09/14 at 09:24:24

I'd like to toss in a non-expert learned-about-the-quirks-in-this-bike the hard way suggestion. How many miles do you have on the 2013? Have you done an oil change yet? The right oil makes a difference. Are you still running the stock petcock? Have you done the air screw adjustment and the white-spacer mod yet? My 2012 acted funny like that too, until I did some easy mods and got about 1,000 miles on it. Now it runs pretty good. The veterans on this site can guide you thru the -necessary- mods. Many new owners become quickly disillusioned with the newer S40's, that's why many can be found for sale quite reasonably. I know mine almost was. Now I truly love the little bugger!

IP Logged
goofballs
YaBB Newbies

Ride Safe!

Torrance, CA
Reply #4 - 07/09/14 at 09:37:13

I have about 6,500 miles on it.  I have done the air screw adjustment and the white spacer mod already.  I haven't done the petcock mod and will look into that.

As for the oil change, I have done 2.  Once at 600 miles and again at 5k.  Overall the bike is running awesome.  This new issue just came about and I had tried other carb cleaners but not Sea Foam.  I put some in this morning and started feeling some improvement toward the end of my 20 mile ride.  

I am going to let the SeaFoam do it's magic for another day or so and will let everybody know.

WWW   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/09/14 at 20:32:28

WOW! 6,500 miles already? You must live on that sled! Disregard everything I said. Here in western Washington, with our greatly reduced riding season (aka crappy weather) it takes 2 or 3 years to get that kind of miles. The Vets are probably on track here. Good Luck! But on a final note myself and others have noticed an improvement in overall performance once changing to the Yamaha Raptor manual petcock, especially with fuel delivery at higher rev rates. Mine had a noticeable "flat spot" until the petcock quit altogether just over 1,000 miles. If you haven't done so already, try running on "PRI" to see if that helps. If so, then you know the culprit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What causes and how to fix acceleration flat spot?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.