Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper) (Read 2791 times)
nickythegreek

Re: nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)
Reply #45 - 04/21/15 at 08:26:07

Below is a photo of the modifications made to the voodoo vintage hardtail.

WWW   IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #46 - 04/21/15 at 11:11:52

I spent about 4 hours on Friday grinding the rust and stock paint off my frame as well as my tank, battery box and oil can to prep for painting.  I ended up doing this with some wire wheel drill attachments and a gator disc on a grinder. My wrists were killing me but I was happy with the results.

My buddy painted it on Sunday.

And I spent Monday evening starting to put it back together.  You can see the chain tensioner in place.  I have to move the wheel ALL the way forward to get enough chain clearance to keep it bouncing off the spring on the tensioner.

I hope to finish up everything except the wiring in the next 2 days. I am using the stock clutch and throttle cable (Harley throttle housing with a little hex end/set screw adapter).  I have a 42" front brake line on its way (6" over stock on my '06).

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 04/21/15 at 11:24:37

It looks good!

I think you should have mounted the idler sprocket solid like the skate board wheel was.....or make the tensioner so there is no spring and the arm bolted into place.

I believe that when you let off the throttle and the engine compression brakes......the bottom chain is going to go into tension and it will pull the chain down and the chain will hit the tensioner spring.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
skull thumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 04/21/15 at 13:04:09

Looks good I would put a springer front end on it.

IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #49 - 04/22/15 at 04:45:55

It's looking great! Just curious if you think there's room to fit a 150 rear tire on that tail or do you think everything is tight already? It's the clearance between the tire and chain that I'm concerned with. I'm stalled on mine cause I can't commit to a rear tire size. It's either going to be a 130 or a 150. I did some number crunching and determined that the 150 should be possible but numbers on paper and then the way things actually come out can be different.

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 04/22/15 at 05:08:33

FDM wrote on 04/22/15 at 04:45:55:
I'm stalled on mine cause I can't commit to a rear tire size. It's either going to be a 130 or a 150.

The stock rear rim is a 2.75 width.  The 150 rear tire is going to be pinched on the narrow rim and it will have a tread profile that is too round for the most mileage and traction.  The 150 tire should be on a 3.50 rim.

Motorcycle_Rim-to-Tire_Chart.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #51 - 04/22/15 at 05:53:48

Looking good  Cool I love the colour as well  Wink

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
FDM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

North Shore MA
Reply #52 - 04/23/15 at 04:24:51

Thanks Dave, I should have noted that I'm not planning to use the stock rim but a new 18" rim from Buchanans. My choice is between a 3.5" and a 4.25" rim and either a 130/90 or a 150/70 tire. I know what size rim both tires belong on its just a question of how the finished product will fit in the VV tail section. There are some tight clearances.

87 Savage currently receiving a total rebuild
79 XS 650 Special (stock)
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #53 - 04/26/15 at 01:41:04

it looks absolutely stunning! I really like it. everything looks perfect and the color of the bike is very "in theme".

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #54 - 04/27/15 at 07:19:45

Thanks wamblr.

FDM,
I am unsure about the clearance of a 150.  But considering you will probably need to make your own spacers anyway, I would imagine that you could make it work.

So my first attempt at wiring failed pretty hard.  I reversed some wires from the starter relay and think I might of blown it or my ignition.  I was also able to turn on my headlight via a  switch without having a key in the ignition. Gonna try and troubleshoot that stuff today.

WWW   IP Logged
work9to5
YaBB Newbies

see you in the wind

Vegas
Reply #55 - 05/06/15 at 19:58:34

If you need help with wiring questions feel free to shoot me a dm. It's really hard to kill those starters, hopefully you havnt. Really like what you've done so far.

IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #56 - 05/07/15 at 08:09:54

So I've been chasing a gremlin for awhile now.  The bike would just cut off when given throttle.  It had us all perplexed but I finally got to the bottom of it.  I started up the bike and then just lightly touched my key and the bike killed itself.  darn faulty ignition switch!  We had a Jeggs Universal Ignition Switch laying around, so I tossed it in and no more issue.

I came across another issue with my chain conversion.  The chain would constantly rub on the top back mount for the belt pulley/front sprocket cover.  This made an annoying sound while riding and cant be great for chain life expectancy. I ended up taking a dremel with a cutting disc and removing about a 1/4" of the mount so that it was back passed the chain. I can finally here my engine while riding now! My chain will occasionally slap unto the spring on the tensioner when engine braking, but there doesn't seem to be any wear on the parts.

The floorboards just weren't working out for me.  So I am back to the stock pegs as well.

I picked up this 1965 german leather ammo case from a flea market to use as my toolbox.

WWW   IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #57 - 05/11/15 at 10:40:40

We left Columbus to head up to the Fuel Cleveland show this weekend.  We had 4 shovelheads, a cb750 and a turbo kz900 along with my 06 s40 chop. My bike did pretty well until she got beaten down by the pothole friendly nature of Cleveland streets.  One pothole smashed by brake light bulb and the next one on the way home caused my bike to backfire real bad immediately after.  

My other buddy blew the coil on his shovelhead at the sametime and we just loaded them up a truck and drove back to Columbus.  I was having issues getting fuel to flow into the carb (flows fine from petcock).  After limping her around a little bit the fuel flowed better but I keep lagging and surging when I am on the throttle.  Seems carb related, so I will be disassembling and going through the carb once again.

Ice cream is the key ingredient to a happy chopper ride and pivotal when waiting for on the shovelheads chase gremlins.  One shovelhead lost his rear brakes while the other had some tranny issues.

Tyler's shovel ended up blowing his battery at 2am (2 other shovels would end up doing the same thing in the next 12 hours!)

Dan's battery goes boom. Kyle leaves to go get Dan a battery and his blows up on the way. Sidenote, don't use cheap batteries with plates that will vibrate loose and destroy the cells.

Right after I started backfiring like mad.

At least we magically ended up breaking down right next to where Kyle's brother lived.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 05/12/15 at 14:42:02

I put padding around the battery on my four wheeler. Protecting it from the harsh ride has,besn  a good idea. Hardtail bikes ride rough.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #59 - 05/19/15 at 09:52:41

So I was able to track down the issue that happened after I hit that pothole.  When I hit the pothole my bike immediately started to backfire.  I could idle fine and ride at low speeds, but it would continue to backfire under rpm load.  It ended up being the connector to my pickup coil.  The pothole loosened it enough so that the vibration from the high rpms would break the connections.  Of course I didn't figure this out until after I rebuilt the carb and reseated the exhaust to remove any leaks.  I'm just happy that it ended up not costing me anything!

I purchased a Fuji x100 to take some black and whites this summer. We had a chopper party, Pinned, here in Columbus and I was able to get some pretty cool shots.

My ls650.

My bad to the bone pup.

Buddy's Turbo Kawasaki 900.

Kyle kicking over his shovel.

This weekend we are going to Smokey Mountain Chopperfest in North Carolina.  Hopefully I wont have any trouble this time!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 17:29:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › nickythegreek's s40 (voodoo vintage chopper)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.