Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oil galley bolt explosion, top end rebuild... (Read 59 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

oil galley bolt explosion, top end rebuild...
07/07/14 at 05:13:22

So my 1986 with 20249.00 miles had its 125 mm oil galley bolt on the right rear of the head stripped by the po... Lucky me it had a slight bit of bite. And though it always weeped some oil it never flowed...so I patched it up with permatex and counted my blessings... Well, the valve cover gasket on that side and the bolt head are flowing oil when throttled above idle. So I am going to pull the motor and top end and have time inserts placed for the 130 and 125 bolts that hit the jug.

While I am all the way down to that point I am gonna do a new timing chain, valves, valve seals, rings, and gaskets(obviously).

I am thinking the honing and valve faces will need to be done at a shop as I donno much about that or have the tool...

Can anyone offer me guidance or recommendations, tips or hints? Its gonna take me some time. But I think its worth it. Should I helicoils myself or have a shop drop times in there?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: oil galley bolt explosion, top end rebuild...
Reply #1 - 07/07/14 at 06:02:41

You probably won't need to do the valve and seat faces.....but it wouldn't hurt to clean them up and look at them.  Youzguys has 120,000 miles on his bike....and the head has never been off the cylinder.

The issue of the timeserts/helicoils.....you need to see what the local shops can do, and how comfortable you are doing the machine work and buying the correct tools.  This work is best done with a drill press or milling machine to ensure the hole is vertical.....not with a hand drill.

If you have a drill press.....I made a tool you can use to remove the valve springs and keepers.  You pay shipping both ways and you are welcome to use it.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344000395

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/07/14 at 09:00:56

How much you gonna spend?You MIGHT be able to just get another bike and use both to build one. Then you have parts to sell.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/07/14 at 09:54:37

Eh, parts aren't all that bad...60 bucks for inserts...if I don't do the seats I may just hone and rering.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:19:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil galley bolt explosion, top end rebuild...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.