Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headlight Fog Lights (Read 139 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Headlight Fog Lights
07/05/14 at 16:14:00

Has anyone ever installed mini lights by their headlights?  I guess you could call them fog lights but I'm sure they would have to be low wattage but would probably help make sure everyone see you.

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Re: Headlight Fog Lights
Reply #1 - 07/05/14 at 18:22:56

been looking into this as well, maybe something small on the engine crash bars instead. A little more light, and more visibility to other motorists would be the goals...

I changed out to a 7" hella headlight, and that helped a lot. STill need to install the relay, but one step at a time!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/06/14 at 04:56:16

You only have about 100 Watts of generating power......so don't get too carried away.  If you add white lights on the sides of the headlights, you might want to uplug the yellow running lights in the front turn signals to save you 6 Watts (3 watts each).

Some folks who ride lots of short trips have found the charging system doesn't keep up with the starting chores....even with the stock lighting.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 07/06/14 at 07:50:13

You mean like this?  I just did these about 3 weeks ago, no problem with the battery so far, but I usually ride a minimum of 10-20 miles when I do.  Not a lot of short trips. Pretty simple, let me know if you want details/how-to.

front_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/06/14 at 08:06:29

S-P wrote on 07/06/14 at 07:50:13:
You mean like this?  I just did these about 3 weeks ago, no problem with the battery so far, but I usually ride a minimum of 10-20 miles when I do.  Not a lot of short trips. Pretty simple, let me know if you want details/how-to.

Yes, that would work for me!  Please let me know about this!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/06/14 at 09:23:00

Almost bought those exact lights earlier this week. Read the wattage, decided not to get them. That adds 50-100 watts draw to an already far below substandard electrical system.

Figure out what bike can donate a better stator and reg/rec before you install that much excess current draw. There is insufficient room for a dual stator system in our left side engine case...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/06/14 at 17:27:09

Thoughts on going with LED for less draw?

Thanks!

IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/06/14 at 18:23:25

Fishbulb wrote on 07/06/14 at 17:27:09:
Thoughts on going with LED for less draw?

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing...which made me also wonder if anyone uses LED headlights?

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 07/06/14 at 18:34:55

WD wrote on 07/06/14 at 09:23:00:
Almost bought those exact lights earlier this week. Read the wattage, decided not to get them. That adds 50-100 watts draw to an already far below substandard electrical system.

Figure out what bike can donate a better stator and reg/rec before you install that much excess current draw. There is insufficient room for a dual stator system in our left side engine case...

I hear ya, WD. From what I've read I was pushing the charging system. I got them at O'Reilly's in the "off-road" lighting section, they are 35 watts each... so I was concerned about that too. So far I haven't had any issues with my battery, so I'm hanging with them. I don't know if you can buy lower wattage bulbs for these lights (they are REALLY bright!) I may look into that anyway because they are really bright and to lower the wattage draw... I'm sure Batteries/Bulbs Plus will have replacement bulbs.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/07/14 at 00:20:48

At any of my local auto parts stores or "Great Wall of China Mart", those lights are 50-55 watts each.

You can get lower wattage H1 or H3 bulbs, it's just a royal pain in the ass to special order them. I've seen them as low as 20 watts when I was still in the bike business full time, as a stocked item. Anything less (down to 3w) was special order only, with obligatory $25 fee on top of the part price.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 07/07/14 at 08:18:17

WD wrote on 07/07/14 at 00:20:48:
At any of my local auto parts stores or "Great Wall of China Mart", those lights are 50-55 watts each.

You can get lower wattage H1 or H3 bulbs, it's just a royal pain in the ass to special order them. I've seen them as low as 20 watts when I was still in the bike business full time, as a stocked item. Anything less (down to 3w) was special order only, with obligatory $25 fee on top of the part price.

I was going to pull one and take it to "Batteries Plus", they just added lighting and say they have bulbs for everything. I got these at O'Reilly's. They're about 2 inches across. They had some bigger ones that might have been more wattage. We also have some pretty decent custom lighting stores that carry a LOT of custom bulbs for art lighting, pin lights etc. etc. I've had good luck finding odd ball halogens there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:18:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight Fog Lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.