Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cool down time before pressure washing engine (Read 90 times)
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Cool down time before pressure washing engine
07/05/14 at 15:15:11

Now that I have the head plug leak fixed, I want to clean off the oil that is wind-smeared over the whole bike. I figure I'll take it into town to the car wash's pressure nozzle.

How long should I let the engine cool before spraying it with cold water?

I was figuring on letting it sit there until the exhaust quits crackling as it cools.  Are there any better informed ideas?

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Cool down time before pressure washing engine
Reply #1 - 07/05/14 at 16:06:32

You might try oven cleaner or degreaser on your cold (or slightly warmed up) engine then just hose it off at home.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/05/14 at 16:13:44

Congrats on getting that plug leak fixed in short order.  I would let it cool until I could wrap my hand around the header for a quick count to six.  I've seen machine repairmen use that as a rule of thumb for judging when an electric motor is over heating.  At one time I knew how many degrees that equated to.

I don't like blasting water directly at a motorcycle or into the engine compartment of a car or truck. Water might be forced into an electrical connector or something and cause a problem later on.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/05/14 at 16:32:18

I'm with the other guys,.. I don't like high pressure water... it's bound to get somewhere it shouldn't...
...and,.. I sure wouldn't want to test the pipe temp with my hand...(been there, done that... I fell on a hot pipe once, got the scar to prove it)...

You can get some foaming engine cleaner spray for the nasty bits, then scrub with a toothbrush, and hose off gently...

PS... Lemon furniture spray polish is great shining up once the bike is dry... works on everything...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #4 - 07/05/14 at 17:19:31

Thanks for writing back so fast, all you good guys!

I ran off to town right away, because my wife gave me a chore to do, that is, go to Rite Aid and get more special bandages for my boy. So I stopped first at the car wash.  I waited until the metal quit making noise, then hosed 'er off, nice and clean.  I had oil everywhere, as far back as the belt guard to the rear axle.

It's still leaking oil and dirty water from hidden crevasses, so I'll just use some engine cleaner and a hose in the next week or so, now that the most of the filth is off.

Note: I'm wary of using oven cleaner, which is foamed lye, as lye reacts with aluminum.

Lye and Aluminum Reaction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GESJ2YUWRx8

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/05/14 at 20:13:39

IF I'm gonna use pressure I leave the motor running. That way I have a clue about what got wet. If it shuts off I look at where I was aiming about then.
Just don't aim it at a spot and hold it there. Sweep across the motor.avoid the axle bearing. Use good sense.look at it and plan before dropping a quarter in.

How long is it shut off before it gets hosed by a puddle?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/06/14 at 02:55:08

I don't use pressure. I bought a cheap 1 inch paint brush and some brake cleaner and greased lightning and just spray the whole engine and work it in with the brush then rinse.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/06/14 at 03:38:52

Don't use oven cleaner.....it will do very bad things to the clear coat on the aluminum, and the paint, and the aluminum.  It is very caustic.

There are some very good cleaner/de-greasers that will work - the cylinder may have baked some of the goo on and it may be a bit harder to remove it there.  You can get Bike Bright at most motorcycle shops and it works very well not only on grease - but also on dirt and it rinses very clean.  I spray it on, and then use a bristle parts cleaning brush on the tough areas.....as with most de-greasers don't let it dry.  It should only be used on a cold engine.

I have on occasion used a pressure washer - never direct the spray at bearings, the carb, anything electrical......or anything that has pin striping tape or stickers.

It is very important to properly dry the bike before putting it away.  There are spots on the bike that will hold lots of water and corrode or rust if you just let it dry naturally.  I use my leaf blower to blow off most of the water out of the nooks and crannys, then I use a towel, then I go for a ride around the block.  The belt holds lots of water, the rear drum, and the cylinder head don't really dry without a ride around the block.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 07/06/14 at 04:17:36

For drying I use either my shop vac's exhaust or my leaf blower....works great!! Smiley

Then I use a rag to get the spots that I couldn't get with the blower.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #9 - 07/06/14 at 08:54:29

I like Soft Scrub and a toothbrush for cleaning the tough area, oil, bugs, tar, etc.  When I got my bike it looked like the chrome had rust spots on it.  Just years of crap build up, it's not even pitted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cool down time before pressure washing engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.