Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Keeping old crippled people out of sight (Read 135 times)
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Keeping old crippled people out of sight
07/04/14 at 06:19:01

Want to keep old crippled people out of public sight? Here's how.

A medically prescribed mobility device: Can't drive it on the road, can't drive it on the sidewalk.

Archbold police ticket disabled man for driving scooter on sidewalk
13 ABC Toledo | June 30, 2014
www.13abc.com/story/25908412/archbold-police-ticket-disabled-man-for-driving-...

Controversy over Archbold man's use of motorized scooter
24 NBC Toledo | July 3, 2014
www.nbc24.com/news/story.aspx?id=1065998

Good grief, that's enough to make the good humor man scowl.  Angry

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Keeping old crippled people out of sight
Reply #1 - 07/04/14 at 06:35:48

Betcha there is more to this story than what is in the news reports. How the hell did the cops know what the possible max speed of that scooter was when they decided to stop the guy ?
They get training on recognizing the different brands of mobility scooters, and memorize the specs? Come on !. There's another reason they decided to f**k with this guy that isn't in the story.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 07/04/14 at 13:16:11

Welcome to another facet of the, ’NANNY” State, (Country)

I’ll bet their are lawyers  Lining Up,
To Tear apart the City,  FOR FREE, on this one !

Let’s see:  I ‘CAN”  go 70 MPH with a S-40, down Main street,
where the speed limit is 30 MPH.
And If I AM  going 30 MPH, do I get a ticket, because I  ‘CAN” go 70???

(If it keeps raining out in Mn, I may post a joke on that)

A ‘few’ years ago, a ‘Local Cop’, would see, some 14-15 year olds,
running pure dirt bikes down a street, out on a Co road, to the gravel pit.
Let’s see, No DL,  No, Blinkers/Headlights, Driving wrong side of the road.
Yea,  LOTS of tickets, ‘Could’ be given.

Local Town fair. Some kids, in the shadows of a building,
Drinking 3.2 beer, smoking Cigs.
“Local” cop, would come, Dump out the beer, Step on the packs of cigarets,
Take the pitcher, and give it back to the local Fireman booth,
(Thus the kids, LOOSING, the .50 Deposit on the glass pitcher)

In a State, (then), where ‘fireworks’, were not allowed.
The ‘Local” cop, walked out on the trestle , taking the packs of  ‘Black Cats’,
And throwing them in the river.

A Warm summer night, 10:30 PM,  (After Curfew),
a, ‘Local” cop, pulling, (silently) up to a group of boys,
And saying:  “Time to go home now, Or do I need to tell, your fathers what you are doing”.

In a  December, in Minn, a group of boys, driving down the street,
(in a older brothers Convertible), top down, In Parkas,
With one, ’skiing’ behind the car, on the snow covered streets.
And the, ‘local’, Cop, cruised by, stopped, shook his head, then drove on!

Etc,  Etc,  Etc !!!!!!!!

The,  LAW, hasn’t changed.  It is the Police, that have changed.   !!!!!!!

Cops, who,  ""think"", they have,  BIG, Penises,
JUST, because they can write a  ’ticket’.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
BalingWire

"The savage in
man is never quite
eradicated."
HDT

Wauseon, Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/04/14 at 15:51:14

Interestingly, I think the cop got this fellow on Ohio law, not local ordinance.

While it says this:

4511.491 Motorized wheelchair operator has rights and duties of pedestrian.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.491
Every person operating a motorized wheelchair shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian that are contained in this chapter, except those provisions which by their nature can have no application.

It also says this:

4511.01 Traffic laws - operation of motor vehicles definitions. (EEE)
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511
"Motorized wheelchair" means any self-propelled vehicle designed for, and used by, a handicapped person and that is incapable of a speed in excess of eight miles per hour.

However, it seems that many motorized wheelchairs are capable of going faster than 8 mph.
http://www.wheelchairs.com/fast.htm

Like MnSpring notes, what does it matter if a vehicle is capable of breaking a speed limit?

I think oldNslow has it nailed....there's something deeper here going on. Small town politics.

Just like Hazard, Kentucky.   Grin

The Dukes of Hazzard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtG0BN4FKZQ

"The satisfactions of manifesting oneself concretely in the world through manual competence have been known to make a man quiet and easy."
Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 07/05/14 at 07:01:03

As the husband of someone with MS, I am going to chip in here. When a scooter became necessary for her to get around outside, she was stopped and ticketed by an officer who admitted he was not conversant with the laws regarding operation of a scooter on sidewalks. He came back the next day and tore up the ticket.
That said, I agree with the speed limit of 8 mph for scooters and motorized wheelchairs, and a scooter that goes faster than that has no place on public sidewalks. If you hit someone at 20 mph you could kill them. Handicapped people have the right to the same mobility as non-handicapped people, not the right to roar around at 20 mph on the sidewalk on something as big and heavy as a scooter or motorized chair.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/05/14 at 07:17:22

A scooter CAPABLE of 50MPH is no problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 07/05/14 at 07:33:36

arteacher wrote on 07/05/14 at 07:01:03:
As the husband of someone with MS, I am going to chip in here. When a scooter became necessary for her to get around outside, she was stopped and ticketed by an officer who admitted he was not conversant with the laws regarding operation of a scooter on sidewalks. He came back the next day and tore up the ticket.
That said, I agree with the speed limit of 8 mph for scooters and motorized wheelchairs, and a scooter that goes faster than that has no place on public sidewalks. If you hit someone at 20 mph you could kill them. Handicapped people have the right to the same mobility as non-handicapped people, not the right to roar around at 20 mph on the sidewalk on something as big and heavy as a scooter or motorized chair.

Sorry, but I think that argument is utter nonsense. I doesn't make any difference how fast that scooter is capable of going, only how fast the person operating it is actually driving it. I can buy a motorcycle capable of 150mph +. That doesn't  automatically  entitle me to a ticket unless I'm riding it that fast when the speed limit is, say, 65. The guy in the news report didn't get ticketed for speeding, he got a ticket because his scooter was theoretically capable of breaking the law. That's bullcrap.

And I don't care what the stupid town ordinance says. It's just another law that creates a crime where no crime actually exists. Most laws in fact fall into that category.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 07/05/14 at 09:27:39

oldNslow wrote on 07/05/14 at 07:33:36:
arteacher wrote on 07/05/14 at 07:01:03:

Sorry, but I think that argument is utter nonsense. I doesn't make any difference how fast that scooter is capable of going, only how fast the person operating it is actually driving it. I can buy a motorcycle capable of 150mph +. That doesn't  automatically  entitle me to a ticket unless I'm riding it that fast when the speed limit is, say, 65. The guy in the news report didn't get ticketed for speeding, he got a ticket because his scooter was theoretically capable of breaking the law. That's bullcrap.

And I don't care what the stupid town ordinance says. It's just another law that creates a crime where no crime actually exists. Most laws in fact fall into that category.

So what you are saying is that it is OK to drive any vehicle on the sidewalk as long as you don't go over 8 mph? And that 8 mph ordinance is wrong anyway?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 07/05/14 at 10:01:38

Quote:
So what you are saying is that it is OK to drive any vehicle on the sidewalk as long as you don't go over 8 mph? And that 8 mph ordinance is wrong anyway?

I said nothing of the sort. I think what I did say is pretty clear. I have no problem with speed limits, or restricting what kind of vehicles can be driven where. I DO have a problem with giving someone a ticket because what they happen to be driving/riding is CAPABLE of exceeding the speed limit, if they are not actually doing that. Please don't twist what I said in order to bolster an indefensible argument.

If you want to disagree with me ,fine. Just do it on the merits of the discussion, not by deliberately misrepresenting what I said.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/05/14 at 10:02:02

WHAT vehicle matters. A car or motorcycle don't belong on a sidewalk. Be reasonable. Someone who can't walk needs to be able to get around. A wheelchair can do more than 8 MPH. What happens when you need to get across the road? What happens when a guy NEEDS to go faster? Why not have it Able to go faster? Why do people who are losing an argument so often go for STUPID and somehow think they're somehow suddenly gonna win? Adjust Your thinking,get reasonable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 07/05/14 at 10:12:19

how bout bikes on the sidewalk
legal here many do more than 8mph
btw see  motor chairs  also

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/05/14 at 10:27:19

Are we so stupid and disrespectful a people that we must legislate to ensure that nobody is made unhappy with their trip down the sidewalk? Let's paint centerlines and make sure everyone stays on Their side.. If someone is going Fast on a bike, they need to be in the street,if they're just cruising they can use the sidewalk and not have to worry about getting run over. It's really not that hard..

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 07/05/14 at 12:46:14

Some are- I have seen a guy in an electric wheelchair going well over 8 mph on the sidewalk and yelling at people to "get the f**k out of my way", and causing pedestrians to jump out of his way.
Laws protect responsible people from irresponsible people.
BTW, in or city it is illegal to ride a bicycle with a wheel diameter of 20" or more on the sidewalk. The 20" stipulation is so that little kids can still ride their bikes on the sidewalk.

" I have no problem with speed limits, or restricting what kind of vehicles can be driven where."
He was ticketed for driving the wrong type of vehicle on the sidewalk ie one that would go over 8 mph.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 07/05/14 at 15:31:25

Quote:
He was ticketed for driving the wrong type of vehicle on the sidewalk ie one that would go over 8 mph.

Exactly. He got a ticket not because he was doing anything wrong, but because he was on a machine that could potentially be driven unsafely even though he was not doing that.

That's the problem. There are two kinds of laws. There are laws that prohibit and prescribe punishment for actions that are actually wrong and cause real harm  - murder, rape, arson, robbery etc. - and there are laws that prohibit either actions or inanimate objects because they can potentially be irresponsible, or be used irresponsibly and might casue harm.  The ordinance in this discussion is in the second category.

Laws in the second category( like the one we are discussing here) are very often nothing more than nanny state meddling.

Punish the crime, or the person who commits the crime, not the theoretical possibility of a crime that has not actually happened.

If you can't appreciate the difference between the two then I have to respectfully conclude that our views  of what is just and reasonable are so fundamentally different as to be irreconcilable.

Quote:
- I have seen a guy in an electric wheelchair going well over 8 mph on the sidewalk and yelling at people to "get the f**k out of my way", and causing pedestrians to jump out of his way.

Some people are a**holes. Even some people with disabilities. That doesn't mean that those of us who are not should be subjected to stupid laws and arbitrary enforcement of those laws in order to deal with the occasional idiot. Or are you of the opinion that anything that you don't personally approve of, find inconvenient, or annoying, or scary, should be illegal ?

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #14 - 07/05/14 at 17:41:16

I am guessing that,  EVERY,  49cc moped.
EVERY, Motorcycle.  EVERY, Car or truck,
Is,  Capable, of going OVER  30 MPH.

So you are driving down, ‘Main Street’,
at 29 MPH, (Where the posted Speed Limit is 30 MPH)

Then A policeman can give you a ticket?
(Because, you, ‘could’, go faster)

I would like to get one of those tickets !!!!!!
Cause then, I would be driving a  NEW  Cadillac, Esc a lade,
courtesy of the tax payers in that County or City.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 20:46:39

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Keeping old crippled people out of sight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.