Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
About to pull the trigger on a raptor petcock, but (Read 297 times)
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Re: About to pull the trigger on a raptor petcock,
Reply #15 - 07/07/14 at 09:27:11

I believe he said he's running in 'FUEL' mode so his diaphragm must be non-existent. If he is indeed running in FUEL mode with the vacuum lines blocked off at both ends, he should have RES still functioning, right?

I'd keep an eye on my odometer as well.

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 07/07/14 at 09:33:52

I think he will find out in either case .... the hard way.

Lessons learned by pushing the bike home ---- priceless, never to be forgotten.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 07/07/14 at 15:04:58

Ugh.  My internet was out for a whole day.  What did people do before internet?

I bought a raptor petcock.  It was almost $20, but that was with free shipping and here by wednesday.  I bought it on ebay but it's supposed to be the oem part and not a knockoff.  

The bike does run with the valve on any setting.  I looked in my old fuel filter and there were three little black plastic-looking pieces that I guess came out of the petcock.

I'll be keeping a close eye on my oil  It was more like .3 L down when I changed it, and I don't think much of that was gas.  I had read the test your petcock thread already so when I smelled fuel in the airbox I disconnected the vacuum line right away.  I'm pretty sure I caught it immediately.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 07/07/14 at 15:23:20

Take a look at the lever, one or the other has an arrow pointing the opposite direction to the lever. What you think as being "fuel" might be labeled on the opposite side.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 07/07/14 at 18:45:35

iamgodzi1la wrote on 07/07/14 at 15:04:58:
I bought a raptor petcock.  It was almost $20, but that was with free shipping and here by wednesday.  I bought it on ebay but it's supposed to be the oem part and not a knockoff.  

If it doesn't come in a white box with a Yamaha part number....it is not the Yamaha part.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #20 - 07/08/14 at 05:40:23

I'll be keeping my eye on that, Dave.  I don't trust anything until I can hold it in my hands.  Especially not from ebay.

The arrow on the lever points in the direction of the lever, verslagen, and FUEL is straight down.  I've ridden..?  rode..? with the lever in all three positions, though.  They all allow fuel to flow freely from the tank.  

I panicked a little this morning because I smelled a weird burning smell at a red light, but it was just bird poop on my exhaust pipe.  I know what 450 degree bird poop smells like, now.  Learn something new every day.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #21 - 07/30/14 at 20:15:05

I finally managed to put together two consecutive free minutes to swap out the petcock.  The hardest part was not catching fire after I spilled a 3-liter bottle of gasoline all over my leg.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #22 - 07/30/14 at 20:30:23

Nice! It took me 3 times longer to drain my gas tank than to install the Raptor.  Good job! Don't forget to cap off the vacuum line.  Wink

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #23 - 07/30/14 at 20:40:27

Ridiculously easy.  I didn't even bang my knuckles.  I had to cuss a few times just because it felt weird working on something without shouting expletives.

IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #24 - 07/30/14 at 20:54:50

Nice!

What diameter is the cool new fuel line?

WWW   IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #25 - 07/30/14 at 21:04:16

I didn't realize fuel line came in sizes.  They only had one size at cycle nation, and it fits perfectly.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 07/30/14 at 21:19:14

I know it was mentioned before in another thread, but what is the reserve now with the Raptor?

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #27 - 07/30/14 at 22:25:05

I haven't hit reserve yet myself, but what I remember from the thread is that it's "about 20 miles."  Probably less for me because this thing gets crappy mileage.  Something like 35 mpg.

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #28 - 07/30/14 at 23:13:35

A couple of notes as I re-read the thread:

I did run out of gas.  Apparently I was running on reserve with the valve on any setting.  I was only a couple of hundred yards from a gas station, though, so it wasn't as bad as it could've been.  I kept the old petcock and I plan to take it apart to see what happened.

The petcock I got was not in a white Yamaha box.  I was kind of upset about that, but I'd lose money chasing after $20 on ebay so I just swallowed the lump and installed the one I had.  It works, so I'm happy enough.

I've been keeping a close eye on my oil level and haven't noticed any drop since I changed it two or three weeks ago.  The motor still purrs like a giant kitten with a two-pack-a-day habit.

IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #29 - 07/30/14 at 23:41:51

iamgodzi1la wrote on 07/08/14 at 05:40:23:
I'll be keeping my eye on that, Dave.  I don't trust anything until I can hold it in my hands.  Especially not from ebay.

The arrow on the lever points in the direction of the lever, verslagen, and FUEL is straight down.  I've ridden..?  rode..? with the lever in all three positions, though.  They all allow fuel to flow freely from the tank.  

I panicked a little this morning because I smelled a weird burning smell at a red light, but it was just bird poop on my exhaust pipe.  I know what 450 degree bird poop smells like, now.  Learn something new every day.

I just saw this post, you have fuel in all three positions?  Then what is the purpose of your petcock?  Did you check this with the fuel line off or just by turning the valve the engine continued to run? I would all suspect if there is fuel in all three, there is no difference between fuel and reserve either.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:41:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › About to pull the trigger on a raptor petcock, but

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.