Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
About to pull the trigger on a raptor petcock, but (Read 297 times)
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

About to pull the trigger on a raptor petcock, but
07/03/14 at 20:03:29

There's fuel in my airbox and vacuum line.  The air filter is sitting out drying right now, but it'll be tomorrow before I get a chance to change the oil, and 8-15 days before I get my new petcock.  Is this thing safe to ride with the petcock set to prime and the vacuum line plugged, or am I looking at a bigger problem than what I'm seeing in the threads?  One of the posts on the test your petcock thread said "you may have hurt your bike."  What else should I check, and should I bother riding it home or just leave it where it is until it's fixed?

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: About to pull the trigger on a raptor petcock,
Reply #1 - 07/03/14 at 20:08:28

Is there no Yamaha dealer in town?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 07/03/14 at 20:15:50

I'm sure there's one somewhere, but I already found a petcock online that can be here by the 9th.  Mainly I'm worried about bursting into flames on my ride home in the morning, or damaging my bike beyond my ability to repair.

2001 Savage LS 650, capped Supertrapp exhaust, Raptor petcock, Spitfire windshield, raised seat, 3" socket riser, oversize handlebar, sealed battery, wip
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 07/03/14 at 21:46:47

Unless someone knows something I don't, which is usually the case, running the stock petcock on prime is basically like running a normal petcock, the fuel just flows through it without vacuum assist. You just need to be sure to shut it off when you park it. I ran mine on prime for a couple weeks because it ran better than on normal setting until I found out about the Raptor on the forum here.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/03/14 at 23:02:23

Oh boy!.... I know something SP don't!...

You can run your old pet,... on Prime...  but, you must have that vac line blocked...
That is your problem...  your vac line is leaking fuel into the engine...
Be sure that you block it at the pet... so fuel don't pour out of the tap...
... and at the carb,... so air don't get sucked in...
And,... you'll need fresh oil and filter... to get rid of the fuel that your engine has consumed...

Then,.. you can ride... 'till your Raptor comes...
Thank Yamaha... for saving out booties... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 07/03/14 at 23:30:49

Thanks.  I cut a couple of sections off of the vacuum hose and folded them over with some zip ties to block off the vacuum ports on the carb and petcock.  As long as I can make it home without exploding, I can change that oil as soon as I get home.  It was about time for an oil change, anyway.

IP Logged
Seven
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/04/14 at 03:38:40

from my understandings is you should be fine. I have the same problem on my bike. I blocked off the vac and running in prime. The float should do the rest and if it's faulty then your bike shouldn't be able to turn on due to it being flooded with gas.

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 07/04/14 at 04:31:59

Hmmm.  Maybe I should give the float bowl a whack while I'm at it.  Even with the vacuum ports plugged it's struggling to start and has to warm up for a minute before it'll idle steady.  I ran the tank dry to change the old rotten fuel line a few days ago so the float could be stuck.

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 07/04/14 at 04:41:56

Wow.  Four raps on that float bowl with a rubber screwdriver handle and now it starts right up.  You're a genius.  You're all genii.

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 07/04/14 at 08:13:43

I just performed my most patient and meticulous oil change, ever.  Now it's all over but the waiting.  The old oil smelled somewhat of gas, and it was so black it was almost purple.  I don't think I've put a thousand miles on it, yet, so that troubles me.  There was also only about 1.5L, though I know I put two in, and I haven't seen it leak anywhere.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 07/04/14 at 10:10:15

Savages use oil. Period. If it is hot out and you do any freeway or other high speed riding, the oil vanishes. I added a full pint to my 03 last night before riding home from work. Used an entire sump worth back in 2000 on a sub-300 mile ride through Mississippi, 10W40 full synthetic, and that bike's only leak was the speedometer cable.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 07/04/14 at 13:45:22

Serowbot wrote on 07/03/14 at 23:02:23:
Oh boy!.... I know something SP don't!....

HA! You're a member of a pretty big club!  Cheesy
I joined DENSA and almost didn't pass the entrance exam...  Wink

IP Logged
iamgodzi1la
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 07/06/14 at 07:45:47

An update -

I took it out for a workout this morning and it's definitely running better, but I put about 20 miles on it with the vacuum lines blocked and the petcock set to FUEL.  I'm just guessing that means something is well and truly broken inside that petcock.  Hopefully that means I'll still have my reserve until the new one comes in.

On a side note, it seems to be running a lot better with the rotella T6 synthetic I put in there when I changed the oil.  The valves aren't as loud and the engine just seems to run more smoothly.  It used to sound like a rough lawnmower, but now it sounds like a rotary engine plane about to take off.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/06/14 at 10:52:41

What did you spend on the new petcock?
If it had more oil than its supposed to,then you'd Know gas went in. I'm glad it was low. Now, start keeping a closer watch on it. Don't trust it till you've watched it use Fresh oil and watched its oil use once you get some miles on the oil. My consumption went from negligible to almost alarming as the oil started getting some miles on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 07/07/14 at 09:08:05

iamgodzi1la wrote on 07/06/14 at 07:45:47:
An update -

I took it out for a workout this morning and it's definitely running better, but I put about 20 miles on it with the vacuum lines blocked and the petcock set to FUEL.  I'm just guessing that means something is well and truly broken inside that petcock.  Hopefully that means I'll still have my reserve until the new one comes in.

Nope, running on Prime means NO RESERVE FUNCTION AT ALL, you are running at risk of a sudden total out of gas stoppage until you get your Raptor installed.

You didn't go buy another Suzuki petcock, did you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:21:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › About to pull the trigger on a raptor petcock, but

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.