Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What shocks,Cam Chain Tensioner? (Read 89 times)
Zoik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What shocks,Cam Chain Tensioner?
07/02/14 at 13:09:13

LANCER wrote on 11/16/12 at 14:57:44:
**I suggest you be sure your brakes are working very well; install heavy duty clutch springs & verlavy cam chain tensioner upgrade; check suspension and at a minimum service your forks if not done lately (I put 20 wt oil in mine) and if you can replace stock rear shocks with Progressive or similar type, and consider a fork brace, all for better handling.

Could someone tell me exactly what type of Progressive shocks would fit (like a model number or something) and if there are any that lower the bike. I would like to have the rails under the seat as close to the rear tire as I can get, with enough room for suspension travel of course Smiley

Oh, and whats this "verlavy cam chain tensioner upgrade" you speak of?

Thank you.

« Last Edit: 07/03/14 at 04:41:13 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What shocks,Can Chain Tensioner?
Reply #1 - 07/03/14 at 04:36:34

I moved your "off topic" post here, as it will get more attention as a new thread in this Rubber Side Down forum.  This is where you ask questions that are specific to the Savage.

The cam chain tensioner modification can be found in the Marketplace, under the heading "Verslagen's Place".

The rear shocks generally are not lowered - the stock shocks only have 1.5 inches of travel and for a better ride.....longer shocks are installed.  For those wanting less room under the back fender, the rear fender can be lowered.  If you scan through the RSD for previous threads of use the search function you can find threads about the shocks and fender.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: What shocks,Cam Chain Tensioner?
Reply #2 - 07/03/14 at 19:04:24

You might be able to find some Suzuki Intruder shocks on ebay and they will soften the ride but they are longer.  As Dave pointed out, you can't really go shorter when you only have an inch and a half of travel.  Some Progressive shocks that have worked for people are the 412-4006 and the 412-4201.  But, you need to determine first if you want basic shocks or ones that can be rebuilt and adjusted.  Then you need to determine length, probably something between 11 and 12 1/2 inches and then the spring rate which depends on your weight, passenger if any, and ride preference.  So one mans wonderful shock can be another man's rock hard ride.  I was tired of the spine bashing impact of the stock shocks bottoming out so I went to 11 1/2 long shocks.  

When you settle on the length you want and provide some details such as your weight, then you'll get lots of help.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/03/14 at 20:17:19

Be aware the clutch throwout is sintered metal and can break.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/03/14 at 23:18:41

Just a general FYI... to all members...
"Progressive Shocks"... is a brand name...  
Most modern shocks are progressive, meaning they have springs that are progressively coiled...
Paying extra for the name, isn't buying any special technology...

Our stock shocks and front springs are "progressive" technology...
...as are Intruder shocks ... and most modern shocks...
Not that "Progressive" brand is bad... it's just overpriced...
It's living off it's copyrighted name... as if it owns a technology...
It don't... Huh....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:30:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What shocks,Cam Chain Tensioner?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.