Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread (Read 1497 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread
Reply #75 - 08/05/14 at 21:55:58

I can get a motel north of the Dragon in Maryville for +- $80.oo / $20.00 each per night . ???  Two double beds.  Me and Kent can split one or I can push him out into the floor if he forgets who he's bunking with.  That leaves Dave or OldFeller bring a cot - best I can figure !  Roll Eyes

How does that sound to you fellers ...  

OldFeller this if for 29th and 30th

OldFeller are you already on call waiting for a cancellation at the Dragon Inn ?   Let me know before  I call the Dragon lodge in the morning .   Maryville Inn has 5 rooms left as of now.  
Smiley
Princess Motel Maryville

At your hotel
Outdoor pool Total number of rooms - 33  24-hour front desk Number of floors - 2  Smoke-free property Coffee/tea in lobby Free breakfast Beach/pool umbrellas Tours/ticket assistance Free Wi-Fi Laundry facilities Garden Tongue

« Last Edit: 08/06/14 at 03:39:36 by Dave »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #76 - 08/06/14 at 03:42:46

This Dragon Trip is going to be relocated to Maryville?  That is more than an hour away from the Dragon!

Go ahead and make whatever hotel reservations you need to be comfy and make the trip work for you.  I most likely will just drive down on Wednesday night and sleep in my trailer somewhere on the drive down, then ride on, in and around the Dragon Thursday.......and stay in the Dragon Campground Thursday night.  I can then hook up with you guys on Friday/Saturday wherever you end up.    

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #77 - 08/06/14 at 04:05:57

You guys check into the Dragon Pit Inn? Not too far from the dragon on the other end.
http://www.dragonpittinnandbbq.com/wp/

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #78 - 08/06/14 at 04:10:52

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 08/06/14 at 04:05:57:
You guys check into the Dragon Pit Inn? Not too far from the dragon on the other end.
http://www.dragonpittinnandbbq.com/wp/

AL

Al:  I remember we all ate there 3 years ago on the trip.  If they have lodging available....that would be a good place.  Probably get to smell smoked pork all night!

Dave

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 08/06/14 at 07:07:45

Master Yoda is gonna take your light saber away fer a month again fer not doing a thorough enough scrounge.

Alcoa and Maryville are both inside the same map blot, but Alcoa is nearer to the airport and Alcoa has all the cheap fleabag hotels.

You found a fleabag, but it was a $80 flea bag.    (Yoda frowns)

Angry     Angry      Angry      Angry      Angry     Angry      Angry      Angry      Angry     Angry      Angry      Angry    

Meditate on the light gray side of the force a bit (scrounge deeper/better) and you can find a few good side jewels inside the muck at the bottom of the Alcoa airport pig pen.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30116-d104645-Reviews-Days_Inn_Alcoa...

And this $38 jewel would cost us the same money as camping out at the Dragon once we split it 3 ways.     $13 each

Cheesy

I take it that brother Kent hasn't changed his opinion about camping out one iota over the years, now has he?

Youse guys jest do what you need to do, I will read about it and do accordingly.
  You still got the Dragon BBQ & Hotel yet to check out, and that little town down the hill from the Dragon (only 30 minutes away).

Grin

For me, since the weather is coming up better & better the temptation is to leave the trailer at home and just ride up.    That way I don't have to sweat where to leave the durn car and trailer (and the loading and unloading).  

I will carry a rolled bag and air mattress on the bike (and a thin mil painter's drop cloth and some rope).   That way I can always default to the end of Nowhere if I have to (or to the Dragon campground as the case may be).  

I will be a FLEXIBLE old lumberjack, that I will be ....

Dragon                      http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/robbinsville-nc/28771/august-weather/12174_pc

Maryville/Alcoa         http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/alcoa-tn/37701/august-weather/2125149

« Last Edit: 08/06/14 at 08:10:59 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #80 - 08/06/14 at 09:14:25

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/06/14 at 07:07:45:
I will be a FLEXIBLE old lumberjack, that I will be ....

Did I spell "Oldfeller" wrong again?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #81 - 08/06/14 at 10:57:49

Things sure do get complicated some times !  Undecided

so

OldFeller :   you on the waiting list at Dragon Central or not ?  

Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #82 - 08/06/14 at 11:37:37

Nope, I have no "reserved, hold me an open slot if it pops open" anywhere for Friday or Saturday.  I have exited the Friday Saturday planning business more or less.

(except for the free Yoda lessons, that is).

I am now in the "give away a free bed on Wednesday or Thursday night" business.    

For example, Dave could bust himself getting rolling on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday and he could get into NC early, set up his camp or sleep in his trailer, etc. etc.

In which case I'd kill the Blue Ridge Cabin #4 for that day and join him, just to keep him company.

Or, if it seemed good to him, he could join me at Cabin #4 and sleep on a bed on Weds or Thurs.    He could also bring him a bathing suit and he could go Sliding Rock sliding with me ....    wheeeee !!

Makes no never mind to me either way .... I am an easy old lumberjack and I can/will roll right along with whatever happens.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #83 - 08/07/14 at 04:27:10

It is extremely doubtful that I will get much past Jellico, TN on Wednesday night.  I learned my lesson on the first trip this year, and the exact same scenario is playing out.  I have a City Council meeting on that Wednesday night, an I doubt that I will be able to get on the road before 9 PM.  On the last trip I was not able to get out of the meeting until around 10 PM, and I figured I could drive a until midnight - which put me in Lexington.  I started looking for a place to pull over and sleep in my trailer - but it seems that there are no highway rest areas ounce you pass Lexington.  I kept driving and driving, and finally about 2 AM I made it to the rest area at Jellico.  Going 21 hours without sleep doesn't make it all that easy to get to sleep once you finally stop.  This trip I am more likely to stop a little sooner and not drive past midnight.

So......I expect to arrive at the Dragon around 10 AM on Thursday morning.

Dave

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #84 - 08/07/14 at 08:17:49

Not being all industrious (and used to working nights) it may take me until 9:00-10:00 to wake up and begin to get on up Fontana Dam Road to the Dragon, so you may beat me there by a bit on Thursday, August 28th.

Since MM isn't bringing his tent (brother Kent is going to stay in a hotel or he won't go) do you have a tent big enough for two people that you can bring?  

If not, I can fall back on my plastic drop cloth and rope should it have the audacity try to rain upon my head.

See, flexible Labor Day weekend trip planning.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #85 - 08/07/14 at 08:25:29

Yes, I have a 7x10 tent that I will bring.  I plan to sleep in my trailer as it is better insulated than a tent, and easier to open the door (no tent zipper) when I have to visit the comfort station overnight.  If they don't let the trailer into the camping area - I know I can pull it to the far end of the gravel parking lot where it is pretty peaceful.

Cell phone reception is mucho de crappo at the Dragon Lodge, so if we are going to meet up Thurs/Friday we should make some plans as the day gets closer.

Dave

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #86 - 08/07/14 at 08:50:37

Keep a straight face and tell them the enclosed trailer is medically required as you have a mist injector that you must run at night in an enclosed area or you can't breathe right.  

I'll vouch for you ....

Grin

If you are still bringing that single mattress I can drop my rolled up stuff down to a pillow and a couple of blankets which will be much easier to carry.   Predicted low of 59o says we will need to sleep in some clothes and we will need a blanket or two.  

BRRRRRisk temperatures in the early AM.   Long sleeve shirts, layered clothes for morning riding comfort as the days will get up to 85-7o with bright sun.   Peel them layers off as needed, add them back on as the sun goes down.

So, I think we got all the planning that a moving situation can support.  

On Thursday, August 28th you arrive at the Dragon with your trailer around 10:00 am.   I arrive about an hour later and I can see your trailer and bike.  We meet up, no cell phone is required.

We will likely get our pick on tent spots as we are way early for the Labor Day weekend.   Main issue may become getting all parked in by all the rest of the cars and trailers as the main crowd arrives as the weekend progresses.   It will be a real zoo on a Labor Day weekend .....

MM and Kent will then be completely free to do whatever it takes for their situation, which centers more around Kent than MM.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #87 - 08/07/14 at 09:28:23

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/07/14 at 08:50:37:

Predicted low of 59o says we will need to sleep in some clothes.............

Well.....I hope so! Shocked

I am sleeping in my trailer for sure......alone!

Dave

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #88 - 08/07/14 at 14:42:42

Dave, earlier that day I will be a squirming and sliding down Sliding Rock with a whole bunch of teenage girls and soccer moms -- they consider me safe so you can too.

Although I may do a "grab at my arm & chest" fake heart attack going down the slide followed by a face down floater (with some mild thrashing & twitching) just to see if anyone would actually wade out to save me.    

Mebbe slip ol' soccer mom a little tongue while she is doing mouth to mouth on me, you can never tell about them involuntary reflexes while you are unconscious, you know .....

Smiley

But if you are afear'd, jest you put you a latch on the inside of your trailer door and trust to your little Ruger to keep all them drunken rowdy Dragon campfire girls away while you is helpless asleep.

Me, I'll keep me a nasty jagged fist sized rock near at hand ....

Cheesy

« Last Edit: 08/08/14 at 07:45:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #89 - 08/08/14 at 21:01:05

Well guys  Smiley

All is  well about  Kent and needing a room with a bed !   He says he has acquired a Jungle hammock complete with netting and rain cover.    So we're still on for the Dragon campground just like we planned in the first place.  Cool  Says he remembers a couple of trees at the back of the campground area .    I'm bringing a piece of rope just to make sure the trees are close enough together !  Wink

One fly in the ointment is Kent has a New (to him) Triumph so we might have to take it easy and not temp him into running it too fast.   Grin

I believe its the three cylinder model.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:24:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dragon Ride No. 2......Planning Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.