Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2015 Gathering.....Where & When? (Read 376 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2015 Gathering.....Where & When?
Reply #15 - 07/29/14 at 22:21:28

You fellers ever go to the : http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

I though it was named " Roads and Rides "  ? Huh

Of course what is exciting on a fully dressed Gold Wing w/trailer , might be a little more tame for us.   But  still should be a nice  ride  Smiley.

A camp-ground ever 3 or 4 hundred miles would give us a place to put into the GPS and keep us away from the "Banjo" music  areas !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 07/29/14 at 23:09:18

GPS is NOT allowed... I sat at Dixie Gun Works for how long because that stupid direction giver sent you guys almost into KY or MO from 2 blocks away? Slowest vehicle in the bunch and I beat you guys there by what, 45 minutes...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 07/30/14 at 14:35:40

Yea :

but  ,      

Its been said before but has never been more true --- We had a really nice ride !  Wink

Now that your Two-Wheeling again , you ridding much just for the sake of ridding ?   Smiley

For a  "Flat-Land"  area , I enjoyed my ride around your neighborhood.   I wish you could go ride the Cherohala SkyWay with us in August , then do a Dragon Run or two !
If you've never been , its worth the ride.    I could put ya in the bunk-house thursday evening then Friday make our way East for 5-6 hours to meet with Dave and OldFeller.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 08/04/14 at 08:19:10

I've seen the Dragon, not impressed. I grew up in the Cascades, Sierras and Rockies, so, what you guys call mountains barely register as foothills.

Riding for fun? On a commuter motorcycle? Very rarely, I'm off the next 2 days and need to open the 03 up, check the CCT, check the valves, change the oil again. 5800 miles and change in under 4 months. At a minimum of 72 miles per day, the odometer is getting a work out.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 08/04/14 at 17:58:17

what you guys call mountains barely register as foothills

This is one of those cases where "size does not matter".  It's what the road does with the dirt it has to work with that matters.  Some are just better than others and worthy of our attention.   There are some roads up/down & around dirt mounds not much more than 100-200' than can be down right fun.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 08/04/14 at 18:18:16

Yep.....the best roads for riding fun are the ones with almost no view, and the corners are really tight.

All you need is 30 hp and 30 mph! Grin

Then later on......yeah we can go look at some scenery.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 08/04/14 at 19:23:28

I drove  through the rockies in western Colorado once on the interstate and was  amazed by the size and quantity of mountains .   I'll bet there are lot of (as OldFeller calls then) little black line roads all through the Rockies.    Tongue

So here is what we need to do !...  Roll Eyes

We all need to get gigant fuel tanks and meet in the Rockies some summer   Cool for a week of twisties that never end.   Just the though of it makes me think of the Cherohala Skyway that goes on for a hundred miles .   Smiley

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 08/05/14 at 08:21:32

MMRanch wrote on 08/04/14 at 19:23:28:
I drove  through the rockies in western Colorado once on the interstate and was  amazed by the size and quantity of mountains .   I'll bet there are lot of (as OldFeller calls then) little black line roads all through the Rockies.    Tongue

So here is what we need to do !...  Roll Eyes

We all need to get gigant fuel tanks and meet in the Rockies some summer   Cool for a week of twisties that never end.   Just the though of it makes me think of the Cherohala Skyway that goes on for a hundred miles .   Smiley

US-12 over White Pass. WA410 over Chinook Pass and the feeder road that connects 12 to 410. My Dad's uncle went off the edge of Chinook Pass in the early 1950s, parts of the car are still there...

US12 over Beartooth from ID to Red Lodge MT.

The road from Clarkston WA to Joseph OR through Rattlesnake Canyon. The road from Lewiston ID through Hell's Canyon.

US20 loop, North Cascades Highway.

US101 loop around the Olympic Peninsula (watch out for deer, elk, bears, turkeys, cougars).

Yakima River Canyon.

Old Lewiston grade, it used to eat a tractor trailer a day... minimum.

Steven's Pass on US2 from Everett WA to Wenatchee WA.

US97 from Wenatchee WA up into eastern British Columbia.

Expensive as New England or SoCal though.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 08/05/14 at 15:22:14

WD wrote :   Expensive as New England or SoCal though.

Yea we are always running on a limited budget , and thats OK with me , limited budget is good !   Smiley

I'm good with KOA camping but some of us "Need" to NOT sleep on the ground .  So ...   That has us doing the "Price-Line" motel thingie , and thats OK too .

old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 08/05/14 at 19:34:39

Most times when I went to the Dragon... I used the "Microtel" in Robbinsville....
Start of 129 there to the north and rode it all the way through...including the dragon....we had a good trip or two doing that....
Once to the north end, first time we went east for an hour (outrunning the rain) and second time we went west for an hour.... then just turned off the GPS and took every two lane road I found that said "south".... and ended up north of Atlanta (little east and little west) before I really "knew" where we were.
Fun stuff.....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 09/02/14 at 09:54:31

Has anyone ever ridden the Devil's Triangle?  It is a 44 mile loop.....not sure it is good enough to center the ride around next year - but it might make for good entertainment for a day or 1/2 day if the other roads in the area aren't great.

http://www.devilstriangletn.com/

The good thing about the Dragon/Waynesville/Robbinsville area.....is we are just starting to discover the really cool roads and can weed out some of the roads not worth riding on!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 09/02/14 at 10:20:33

Yup, the good ones tend to be the small black lines going up and over things.

Since we commonly loop out so widely now you can tend to pick your "center spot" or home base off of accommodations and comfort.

There are many many places we have never stayed at (or even stopped at).

Devil's Triangle looks like a Cherohala style sweeper road with a little bit of extra vertical to it, good enough to visit but not enough to make you want to stay there.

However, it is a logical extension of a Hwy 32 to the Knife Works run and is well within the loop areas we normally cover anyway.

Smiley

« Last Edit: 09/02/14 at 18:54:05 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:21:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2015 Gathering.....Where & When?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.