Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transmission rattle (Read 131 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Transmission rattle
06/25/14 at 22:04:35

The clutch and throttle had too much play so I adjusted them today.  Control feels better.  

As before when slowing down and I'm on 1st, 2nd and rarely 3rd gear I'll disengage the clutch to let momentum cruise me to a stop.  I'll hear a rattle from the left side of the bike.  Is that the gear just free spinning?  Should I stop disengaging the clutch for so long?

I'm not sure if thats a normal mechanical reaction to my action or if there needs to be some adjustments made?

I also noticed my hand throttle is coming apart.  Getting pretty loose.  Anyone recommend a link I can use to replace it myself?

I use Rotella Synthetic.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Re: Transmission rattle
Reply #1 - 06/26/14 at 00:43:17

I don't hear that on my bike, so I guess it's not normal.

It could be a loose front belt sprocket. Check if it has some free play on the countershaft - if it does, then the rattling you hear could be the pulley/shaft splines being worn away. Tighten it back up before they are completely stripped.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/26/14 at 13:10:04

If I am in 5th gear cruising approaching a stop, I may let the bike slow a little in gear and then pull the clutch in until I am at about 2nd gear speed and then downshift and release the clutch to continue around a yield corner. I never downshift to a gear that is not acceptable to my current speed just i case the clutch accidentally got released.

Long story short, I almost always slow to a stop from whatever cruising speed I am at with the clutch pulled all the way in shortly after I start decelerating.  I never hear any noises, etc.   Hope you can isolate your issue.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/26/14 at 18:28:03

I usually do some engine braking and I do hear a whining sound from the gears but never a rattling sound.  As I decrease speed I downshift accordingly so that if I want to go, I'll be ready.  Anyway, maybe you should jack it up so the rear wheel is off the ground and spin the wheel around by hand and shift into the gears with the clutch handle pulled and see if you can pinpoint the sound.  When riding it is hard to know exactly where a sound is coming from.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - 06/28/14 at 14:23:23

Gowor wrote on 06/26/14 at 00:43:17:
I don't hear that on my bike, so I guess it's not normal.

It could be a loose front belt sprocket. Check if it has some free play on the countershaft - if it does, then the rattling you hear could be the pulley/shaft splines being worn away. Tighten it back up before they are completely stripped.

Do you recommend any good links to diagnose this myself?  I've never messed with the camshaft before.  Bike only has 20K on it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/28/14 at 15:39:39

Gowor's not talking about the camshaft...
It's the front belt pulley...  (the belt that turns the rear wheel)...
Remove the 3 bolts on the left side of the engine (rear part) and under there is the belt pulley... It is held by a big 32mm nut... that can come loose...
You'll need a 32mm socket or wrench to check it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #6 - 06/30/14 at 21:53:43

Thanks, I'll look into that and post an update later this week.

IP Logged
Gowor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poland
Reply #7 - 07/01/14 at 06:20:59

marioivargas wrote on 06/28/14 at 14:23:23:
Do you recommend any good links to diagnose this myself?  I've never messed with the camshaft before.  Bike only has 20K on it.

Check this thread: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335739552.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Transmission rattle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.