Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fix for squeaky front brakes (Read 97 times)
jaydefazio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern KY/Cincinnati OH
Fix for squeaky front brakes
06/11/14 at 20:07:06

Ok, I'm newbie and learning as I go with the mechanic stuff, so this might seem a silly question to you guys. Bike is a 98 with just under 11k miles. I just got it a few weeks ago and previous owner had it parked for at least a year.
Front brakes squeak pretty loudly. Brake fluid is filled, checked that. I can still see the center notch on the pad and I'm including a pic here so you can see the thickness/wear of the pad. (It looks rusty but it's not, I think that's a reflection.)
What should I do? Take it apart and apply high temp grease to the back of the pad? Or replace with new pads? Also, what is the best type of brake pad for this bike and what brand?  Thanks guys, this site has been great so far!!

front_brakes.jpg
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Fix for squeaky front brakes
Reply #1 - 06/11/14 at 20:11:36

Front brakes are notoriously squeaky. Mine squeal like a pig in a county fair. People know I'm there. You can try taking some 220 grit sandpaper and sanding the glaze off the rotor. I've heard that helps sometimes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/11/14 at 21:13:47

WWW   IP Logged
nickythegreek

Reply #3 - 06/11/14 at 21:39:08

My pads were squealing constantly so I just replaced the original pair 2 days ago with a pair of EBC FA106 pads. Brake cleaner on the caliper, anti squeal break silicone on piston and back of pad touching piston and the bolt. Super quiet and smooth now. Brake lever pressure feels right as well.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/11/14 at 23:11:21

My solution is clean, quiet, better looking AND more functional...

Converted my 98 LS650 custom to a drum front brake. Suzuki Titan 500 hub and hoop, late 60s Honda CB450 twin pivot (TLS) brake plate and shoes, Kawasaki VN800A +4" clutch cable as the brake cable. None of the parts are inexpensive, and you WILL be rewiring after relocating the switches to the frame by the seat, a drum brake lever/perch will not clear the factory switch housings.

The stock Savage front brake is pretty bad right out of the box. Get the best brake pads you can afford (EBC), crosshatch the swept surface of the rotor with 80 grit or have it drilled-chamfered/slotted, chamfer the edges of the brake pads, use brake grease on the pad backs-sliders-bolts...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jaydefazio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/12/14 at 07:29:22

Thanks for all the info! Will take a stab at new pads, cleaning and greasing, etc as recommended here. This will be the first time I've ever done my own brake work -- any tips? The step-by-step in the tech section here is what I will reference.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/12/14 at 07:47:39

jaydefazio wrote on 06/12/14 at 07:29:22:
Thanks for all the info! Will take a stab at new pads, cleaning and greasing, etc as recommended here. This will be the first time I've ever done my own brake work -- any tips? The step-by-step in the tech section here is what I will reference.

Hey....I am in N. KY!

Wanna get some help......Let me know!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jaydefazio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/12/14 at 07:55:00

Dave -- I would LOVE some help! I was just saying that to a friend of mine last night, and thinking about making a post asking if anyone lived in this area. I can't PM people on here because I'm new to the forum and have to make 10 posts before it will let me use that feature. You can e mail me on yahoo, it's jeanzee.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/12/14 at 08:05:27

You are only 3 posts away from making the PM messages....however for some reason my computer here at work won't allow me to respond to the PM and I have to do those at home each night.  If you go to the left side of any post, and click on the person's forum name it will open up a window.  A lot of us have our email address in that location, and you might be able to use email.

I sent you an email.

The stock pads are not all that great.  I use EBC organics and like them.  Do you have the pads already?

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 18:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fix for squeaky front brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.