Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this cam chain noise? (Read 67 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Is this cam chain noise?
06/10/14 at 18:46:20

I've had the bike for a little over a week.  It's an '08 with under 3K miles.
I figured the cam chain adjuster shouldn't be a problem with only 3K miles but I don't have anything to compare it to.  I do hear some ticking so I was hoping a few of you experts could give a listen to the YouTube vid and give your feedback.
Changed the oil a couple of days ago so I was hoping to avoid gathering the necessary gaskets and actually tearing into things to make the measurement.
Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/viXvgTta_F4

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Is this cam chain noise?
Reply #1 - 06/10/14 at 19:05:23

You need to set the video to "public" so we can see it. Offhand, at 3K unless the bike has been REALLY thrashed and run out of oil or something it would be tough to imagine the chain being that far out already.

This is cam chain noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txBAxgXLlwc

Get a mechanic's stethoscope or a metal rod, a wood dowel about a foot long, or even a long screwdriver and put one end of it on different places on the engine and press the other end inside your ear, you can REALLY hear engine noises better. Two places to check are on the clutch side just to the right of where the clutch cable goes in, that's where you'll hear chain noise. Then the upper part of the engine where the valve covers are, front and back. You'll be able to hear clicking valves. The Savages are noisy beasts to begin with. Some folks say if you use 15-40 oil it quiets them down some. I'm going to try that at my next oil change.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 06/10/14 at 19:50:39

Thanks S-P.  Vid is public now.  

Good to know the motors are noisy to begin with so maybe I'm just hearing normal sounds.  I concentrated the phone near the 2 spots you mentioned specifically hoping to pick up the noise from those areas.
I have 15w-40 Rot T with 47 mls of Redline added to the gallon to get the mix to ~1500 ppm ZDDP.

I checked my header bolts and they were actually a little loose, too.

I have an after market pipe on my 150cc scooter and the exhaust is louder than the motor.  Of course, the motor is enclosed on the scoot.  This S40 is dang quiet!  At least for now.  Planning on a Dyna exhaust or the Ryka reverse cone muffler.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #3 - 06/10/14 at 20:27:30

It sounds like my bike that has 3000 miles on it too. I don't hear anything unusual, definitely nothing like the cam chain vid I posted. If you did the stethoscope thing on the top end you'd definitely hear the valves clicking if they are loose. You might have been getting some blow-by on the header gasket if it was loose. That'll make noise too. I'd say ride!  Smiley

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/10/14 at 20:59:39

Gracias!
I've had the bike 10 days and already have new front brake pads, change of oil and filter, Raptor petcock and just did the seat lift this evening!

Great site.  Great folks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/11/14 at 04:06:56

The header bolts to the cylinder head....should just be snugged up with a 1/4" drive ratchet.....and only one hand. They should not be overtightened.  You should remove them one at a time and put Anti-Sieze on them....every couple of months someone posts about breaking one off in the head.....it is a pain to get fixed.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:23:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this cam chain noise?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.