Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort (Read 5205 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort
Reply #15 - 06/06/14 at 09:57:17

in General, I'm a bit tired to ride hard stock seat and put the other from Harley Davidson soft tail custom. and that's what I did. your opinions guys?

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 06/08/14 at 21:47:59

Heh....my opinion is not needed.... is your bottom happy?.... then you should be. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #17 - 06/09/14 at 09:52:39

yeah! my bottom talking at human "thanks!" Grin

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 06/10/14 at 20:54:27

I did my seat lift this evening.  My local Ace has a section of chromed fasteners, including 1" spacers.  I bought 2 of those and 2 M6 X 50 bolts and got it done.
I looked where the rubber bumpers on the outside edges of the seat rest on the frame and added some nylon bumpers I had lying around.  I have one on each side for the mid portion and 2 stacked on top of each other toward the front.  I'll ride it for a while like that and if the height of the bumpers seems right I'll get some in black and make the situation look a little cleaner.
Does anyone else notice the tank moving a little more now that the seat bracket is lifted?

Here's the chrome spacers:

And the rear bumpers:

And the front bumpers  Undecided .  I don't like the way look right now but will make it better once I'm satisfied with the height.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Re: Seat lift
Reply #19 - 07/07/14 at 09:04:56

eruby wrote on 05/11/14 at 07:32:53:
Now what about the supports in the middle? Do I need them? Is everyone using them? Thanks.

OK so many said they didn't use supports after lifting. I decided to look at my local Home Depot for an answer. I came across a door stopper that worked great.
- White Self-Adhesive Doorstops (2-Pack)

I tossed the screw because it has the adhesive backing that sticks to the frame. Can't see the white from under the seat. Here's a link to what I bought: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-White-Self-Adhesive-Doorstops-2-Pack-1509...

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #20 - 07/07/14 at 18:53:39

Here is what I used and cut all the supports out of it and have enough for another seat.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181418109636?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=...

I don't have the measurement on the main spacer but I do for the forward spacer and the middle.  Used double sided sticky tape for the initial placement' the seat does the rest.

Forward' (2) 5/8"x1"x1"

The middle (2) 1/4"xx1"x2-3/8"

The main spacer needs to be cut a 1/4" deep between the mounting holes the width of the seat tab.  I set the table saw blade a 1/4" up and took enough passes to notch the block out.  I'll post photos at a later time.  This rubber is very easy to work with. Drills and cuts well and I used a belt sander to match the radius of the top metal bracket.

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #21 - 07/25/14 at 12:22:21

Great mod. helped my leg room problem a little and also dont feel like im dry humping the gas tank anymore haha. I used rubber grommets stacked up and like everyone else the longer bolts. I plan on getting the number 7 stoppers though because my grommit idea is a little spongy and "loose" feeling. What an improvement though!

IP Logged
Bob Davis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/30/15 at 14:06:46

I just lifted the seat on my 2002.  I used some rubber stoppers to raise the front of the seat and cut up some pieces of rubber flooring and glued them to the frame to support the middle of the seat.  I haven't driven it enough to see how much difference it'll make but it feels better so far.

IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #23 - 07/27/16 at 11:02:39

Hey folks, did anyone else have a heck of a time finding the stoppers? Anyway, the #7s I found seem to be pretty thin and tapered... not sure if they're the right ones.

Would anyone be able to give me the general dimensions? Bottom diameter, top diameter, and height? I just want to make sure that I'm working with a known factor and that I'm not going to weaken that point of contact by putting in something that's too tall and too thin.

Thanks!

winterwalker   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #24 - 07/27/16 at 11:20:52

winterwalker wrote on 07/27/16 at 11:02:39:
Hey folks, did anyone else have a heck of a time finding the stoppers? Anyway, the #7s I found seem to be pretty thin and tapered... not sure if they're the right ones.

Would anyone be able to give me the general dimensions? Bottom diameter, top diameter, and height? I just want to make sure that I'm working with a known factor and that I'm not going to weaken that point of contact by putting in something that's too tall and too thin.

Thanks!

Just google #7 Stoppers
Here is a result:
http://www.widgetco.com/7-1-hole-rubber-stoppers-plugs

Stoppers aren't the only way to do this.  I have those on one bike.
The other one has long 10mm bolts with a nuts and washers above the gas tank to lift the bracket up higher.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - 07/27/16 at 13:45:38

I found chromed spacers at my local Ace.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1441568178/8#8

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
winterwalker
YaBB Newbies

Portland, OR
Reply #26 - 07/27/16 at 21:18:13

Thanks folks! So it looks like the first location I went to just had a different idea of what a #7 stopper was.  Roll Eyes

I stopped by another Lowes after work and found the right piece. You can see the difference between the two types below - hopefully this saves someone the confusion.

winterwalker   IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 01/25/17 at 17:39:31

I wonder what the most popular solo saddle is for the Savage?  I don't plan to ride two-up on mine.

IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #28 - 04/21/17 at 06:07:56

Just thought I would share my experience .... I used 6x50 bolts and high density cork, about 1 inch worth.  Brought the front of the seat up a bit and I could feel the difference.  Kind of makes it feel a bit more settled in.  I did have a bit if trouble with he tab at the front of the seat.  He angle of the bolts puts the seat attachment more towards the rear of the bike, and the seat is a bit too large for the space.  To get it to fit right I think I will need to shave 1/4" of the seat tab, and use a bit of foam to support the seat in the middle as it is a bit above the bike frame now.   Overall I am happy with the mod.

Also drilled out the seat nuts and put in h cotterless pins.  Nice!  Makes the seat easier on remove.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #29 - 04/22/17 at 09:22:17

Update... Did not need to shave the seat tab.  I put the tank mount on the bottom, the spacers, then the seat mount.  Much better, everything lines up perfectly.

2008 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:09:34

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Lifting the Seat Front for Comfort

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.