Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to set  float height (Read 228 times)
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
How to set  float height
06/09/14 at 19:12:29

Hi i have a new float coming  as the old one had too many pinholes in it to repair (from ancient fuel in the bowl) and i want to be able to set the correct height.
I have the float height wrote down  but i am not sure the procedure of  measuring it?   I read about hooking up a hose to the nipple and holding it by the carb to see the float level  but i assume that would  take more steps as i would have to drain fuel, take bowl off to adjust , repeat.

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Re:  How to set  float height
Reply #1 - 06/09/14 at 20:42:11

the float height is not that critical on these. look in the tech section for some more info. With the bowl screws slightly loose there should be no fuel leaking out the parting surface.
others will chime-in with more accurate info, hope this helped somewhat

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/10/14 at 05:49:19

This is how it is measured.

float_height.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 06/10/14 at 06:51:20

there you go  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/10/14 at 08:16:12

The regular settings are based on the original configuration of the bike also. Probably not an issue on yours, but if youve changed the attitude of the bike by raising or lowering suspension it will be a little different.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/10/14 at 09:37:41

Spamy wrote on 06/10/14 at 08:16:12:
The regular settings are based on the original configuration of the bike also. Probably not an issue on yours, but if youve changed the attitude of the bike by raising or lowering suspension it will be a little different.

Not really....the measurement for the float height..... and all the jet pickup tubes are in the middle of the carb.  The angle of the fuel in the bowl might change a bit - but the level doesn't change much at al in the center of the float bowl.  It is designed that way so that the fuel level is about the same as you climb hills, descend hills, brake or accelerate.

Dave

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #6 - 06/10/14 at 11:25:02

Where would one get a doo hicky like the one in your picture Dave?

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/10/14 at 11:59:05

It is the end of a Vernier or dial caliper......you can get them just about anyplace these days.  Sears, Harbor Freight....most good hardware or tool stores.

You don't really need one for setting floats....most carb kits come with paper measuring rules for the job.

IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Reply #8 - 06/10/14 at 12:14:04

Thought it was a caliper end! Should have gone with my first thought.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #9 - 06/10/14 at 19:23:37

Dave wrote on 06/10/14 at 11:59:05:
It is the end of a Vernier or dial caliper......you can get them just about anyplace these days.  Sears, Harbor Freight....most good hardware or tool stores.

You don't really need one for setting floats....most carb kits come with paper measuring rules for the job.

A caliper is a good thing to have in the toolbox. Harbor Freight has a cheap one for about ten bucks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/11/14 at 05:17:53

Vernier calipers are cheap, accurate & the needle never comes loose on the dial..

Takes a bit to learn to read them.,. Ive learned a few times,, I keep forgetting,, and I have a dial caliper, The HF digital ones work, but need a battery. That means always having a spare in the fridge, or risk needing a caliper & not having one,

One really cool thing abut the digital is it has a Metric/Standard button.. Talk about instant conversions..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #11 - 06/11/14 at 22:25:56

Thanks for the info guys I  wonder if i could set the new float with the carb still on the bike? I haven't got a caliper  but ill see what i can do.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/12/14 at 05:02:54

Well.....there really isn't very much adjustment range....the amount that you can bend the little tab is limited.

Go ahead and compare the new and old float tabs....and it they appear close go ahead and put the new one on.  If you put a clear piece of tube on the drain and open the screw....you can check the level of the fuel.  When I set my float to the correct height....this is what the fuel level looked like.

IMG_0495.JPG

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #13 - 06/12/14 at 10:00:34

Thanks for that info dave i will compare the floats and if they look fairly similar I will just toss it on and check with the drain tube trick and if it is out of wack too much i will drain and adjust.

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #14 - 06/22/14 at 18:12:05

Dave wrote on 06/12/14 at 05:02:54:
Well.....there really isn't very much adjustment range....the amount that you can bend the little tab is limited.

Go ahead and compare the new and old float tabs....and it they appear close go ahead and put the new one on.  If you put a clear piece of tube on the drain and open the screw....you can check the level of the fuel.  When I set my float to the correct height....this is what the fuel level looked like.

I installed the new float with the carb still on the bike (pushed up on the float so it would be like it was upside down). i used a tape measure and got the measurement as close as I could and then I tested it with the hose like in your picture and i would say the level in the hose is about 1-2 mm lower than yours. I then took the bike for a test drive and it seemed to work fine then i left the bike for a few days with the petcock on (raptor) to see if anything was going to leak and never noticed any leaks but she started  hard and smelled like it was flooded (choke didnt help) i had to open the throttle to get it started but then ran normally when i took it for a drive Should I  remove the carb and do a proper measurement with a caliper if it continues to start hard or am i just over analyzing things?
  If my fuel level is lower in the tube than yours that means fuel is turning off sooner which shouldn't cause the bike to flood fuel into the head and/or air box so i shouldn't have to worry about fuel leaking in the head i would have to worry about being fuel starved from not enough fuel right?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 10:13:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to set  float height

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.