Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So I tried out a new savage....about the seat (Read 164 times)
Ted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

So I tried out a new savage....about the seat
06/08/14 at 17:27:29

I have a 1000 mile 2012 s40 in the waiting, $2500. Naked.
I'm changing from a Yamaha Vstar 250, but I've ridden bigger bikes in the past.
I took a 1/2 hour rough ride on a new S40.
I'm 5'7" and my inseam is a paltry 29".
I was more cramped than on my little XV250. The engine was beyond awesome, the ride a sort of harsh but nimble, I think it'd be a great bike, but what to do with the feeling that I want to be halfway up onto  the passenger seat. Does it mean I've got to give up on the little thumper? Does it mean buying a seat from an old RD340 or something?

Thanks

Ted

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: So I tried out a new savage....about the seat
Reply #1 - 06/08/14 at 17:53:25

get 6 inch forward controls.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/08/14 at 18:26:48

Front seat lift makes a huge difference...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1109035237

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 06/08/14 at 19:51:26

+1 on the seat lift mod, it helps keep me from slipping forward on decel.

I have a 30" inseam. In my normal riding position, I'm squarely in the seat, knees bent, feet on the pegs. My thighs are pointing mostly straight forward, slightly up, and, my knees do not go above the tank. (about two inches below the top)

Are you riding with your knees straight, or bent?  For your long trips, you could get highway pegs to stretch your legs for a few miles. When taking on technical stretches of road, you'll probably want your feet on the pegs, knees bent and squeezing the tank.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 06/08/14 at 21:25:13

I put a set of 4" forward controllers on my 650, I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam, it sits very comfortably now.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Ted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/09/14 at 03:51:16

Thanks for the replies, did I mention that my 106 yo Grandmother (still kicking!) has better knees than me?

I think that I'll take the plunge and get the bike....do you have to engineer the forward controls/pegs or are there pre-built ones that just bolt on?

Does a 1" lift make that much difference? (I better read the thread.)

IP Logged
Ted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/09/14 at 03:52:19

Those are some great looking bikes, IMHO.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 06/09/14 at 04:45:44

Ted,

Check the marketplace on here for forward controls.

The seat lift does make a difference.  In my case, not enough but it's better. If I can find one at a reasonable price, I think I'm gonna install a double-bucket touring seat on mine.

I sat on a Vstar 250 a little while back and felt terribly cramped compared to the savage.  I'm 6'1" and have a 33" inseam.  Almost all the newer bikes feel cramped to me. I guess they are all made for the asian sized market. The Vstar also felt top-heavy compared to the savage.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/09/14 at 07:28:20

Im 5'6, 30 in inseam. The only way my feet would make it to forward controls would be sitting on the tank,, I dont think Id be comfortable at all,, Some raise the front of the seat, that tends to push them back, I did consciously ride w/ my butt as far back as I could, sometimes even on "The Hump",, The seat, well,, yea,, needs work, but for that $$$ a 2012 w/ only 1,000 miles on it is a DEAL.. You can make it work for ya..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 06/09/14 at 08:49:20

To get a different feel and more comfort I used 1 1/2" memory foam inside on top of stock foam. Small changes make a big difference. Try that with a seat lift.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Ted
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/09/14 at 09:59:13

Fishing now, so what is expected mpg cruising around in the country w/ no stoplights, few stop signs.....fuelly suggests similar to my former VStrom, in the mid 50s or so (I used to get 58-60).

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/09/14 at 12:40:42

Ted, I am about your size (5'10" 165lbs) and I bought 2012 S40 because it looks cool and fits me perfectly. Maybe because I came from a Yamaha Dual-sport I don't feel cramped at all. I do have long arms and always wear M/C boots with a 1" sole, which works to keep me back in the "sweet spot" of the seat. Any other footwear throws the whole feeling off. Regarding the ride, I swapped out the stock shocks for some from Progressive Suspension - made a world of difference to my 63 year old bones! All aside, you have come to the right place for any questions regarding the Savage/LS650/S40. Good Luck!

P.S. I average about 60 mpg in mixed riding, but I do tend to baby it!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 06/09/14 at 19:53:07

I rode about a year solo and got 53-55. Then rode on a ride for cancer cure and got 60. It makes a difference when you behave.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/10/14 at 09:13:17

Boofer wrote on 06/09/14 at 19:53:07:
I rode about a year solo and got 53-55. Then rode on a ride for cancer cure and got 60. It makes a difference when you behave.  Wink

Hey, Boofer - I think that's really cool that you have charity rides there that allow "Other than American Iron". The only such ride I've heard of in Western Washington is Toys for Tots, and that's in December (Brrrrr!!). Maybe someday....

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 06/10/14 at 23:45:08

HAPPYDAN wrote on 06/10/14 at 09:13:17:
Boofer wrote on 06/09/14 at 19:53:07:

Hey, Boofer - I think that's really cool that you have charity rides there that allow "Other than American Iron". The only such ride I've heard of in Western Washington is Toys for Tots, and that's in December (Brrrrr!!). Maybe someday....

Stop by any bike shop and pick up the free magazine that is usually at the counter or front door.

Western Washington has several rides for children's or veteran's charities that are "all bikes welcome". Most of them start and end at an HD dealership, but you are actually encouraged to participate on whatever you ride.

Pop into the dealership in Silverdale, Lacey or, last resort, "Desecration-Desperation" (Destination) HD on old 99 at the Puyallup River. Truly desperate for something to do? They also carry it at "roached out pieces of monkey sh**"... er, Bent Bike, but you'd have to be seriously bored to go there 99% of the time...I can say that, I used to work there, and left on my own terms.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:21:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So I tried out a new savage....about the seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.