Send Topic Print
Timing (Read 73 times)
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Timing
06/08/14 at 12:15:03

Just managed to get a 1994 Savage up and running ( of sorts ). It have run it a couple of times out on the road ( UK) but it seems very errmm... lumpy to me. Granted it seems a bit better when it has warmed up but still quite lumpy. Also I managed to stall it briefly and what a backfire. I was half expecting an armed response unit to turn up!.

Anyway... in short it all seems reminiscent of a timing issue. Is there anyway I can check this out? Any suggestion would be gratefully received.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Timing
Reply #1 - 06/08/14 at 12:29:36

I would bet that it's not an ignition issue.
It could be a vacuum leak.
Test your petcock:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/08/14 at 12:57:20

+1 on the petcock
rarely if ever is it a timing issue.
if it is, you're really in trouble.

WWW   IP Logged
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/08/14 at 13:03:00

Thanks for that... The petcock is a new Raptor as recommended on this forum. My concern was and still is that the old vacuum thingy to the carb. Although I have blocked it up ( in a fashion ) I cannot see why I needed it and now don't... seems a bit odd to me. this said.. how can I check this for leaks?

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 06/08/14 at 13:37:35

The vacuum nipple on the right side of the carb was used to supply vacuum to engage the stock petcock.

With the raptor, you need to seal that nipple off good. Use a good fitting rubber cap, and even dab on some RTV sealant (allow a day to cure before starting the engine).

In a recent post you mentioned you were going to clean your carb. Did you? If so, by chance did you notice if the slide moved freely?

This motorcycle has very few complicated problems, but it has buckets and buckets of little simple problems. You just need to find out which simple problem this is. This one sounds like a air-fuel delivery problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/09/14 at 07:08:01

Slides must be clean & dry,, by clean & dry they mean, no fingerprints,, yea,, theyre THAT snotty,, so, paper towel it clean & slide it in place..clean the bore it slides in, too,,& leave it so CSI cant connect you to the carb.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/09/14 at 09:11:15

Yes.

I took the carb to bits ( well as best as I could ) and replaced the jet and needle valve and all associated gaskets. Couldn't see anything obvious wrong.  The slide moved easily but I didn't take it out to clean.

If air is getting in it must have something to do with this old vacuum nipple on the carb or even the exhaust system which I have replaced.

How would one check an exhaust system for leaks?

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 06/09/14 at 09:30:39

With the motor idling, hold a lit candle to head pipe flange, move it around the flange. Do the same at the muffler connection. If there's a leak, the candle flame will flicker with the rhythm of the exhaust stroke. It may even blow the candle out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/09/14 at 09:36:18

A Raptor petcock is the right one,, are ya certain its a No Kiddin, GIN You Wine, Yammy part?

Air filter clean & dry? Stock? No cone? You played w/ the float, travel is easy & smooth?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/09/14 at 12:51:01

Hello again.

Did the flame thing around the muffler and the downpipe head. No perceptible flicker, so that seems to be ok.

The only think I haven't bothered with ( and to be honest I have forgotten all about it ) is that I haven't changed the air filter. Would this omission make such a massive difference in general?

IP Logged
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/09/14 at 23:13:35

Incidentally...

Meant to mention.... when I use the choke to start... there is no difference in the idle speed when the choke is set to full on or half on. Is this linked to my main problem?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 06/10/14 at 02:06:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/09/14 at 09:36:18:
A Raptor petcock is the right one,, are ya certain its a No Kiddin, GIN You Wine, Yammy part?

Air filter clean & dry? Stock? No cone? You played w/ the float, travel is easy & smooth?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:46:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.