Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about dyna conversion (Read 150 times)
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

question about dyna conversion
06/06/14 at 09:54:30

So I have the dyna muffler but havent ordered the jets yet. Should I wait to put on the muffler untill I get the jets or will it run fine without rejetting.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: question about dyna conversion
Reply #1 - 06/06/14 at 10:49:33

Whether you'll need to rejet, is a matter of what other mods you have, and your location...
Temps, humidity, and elevation...

If that is your only mod,... the worst that will happen is your pipe may blue a little...
If yer' worried about that,.. try popping in #150 main jet.. that alone will get you close...
If you are higher 3k elevation... you probably don't need to do anything...

This is all assuming that your muffler is stock baffled and not drilled out...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 06/06/14 at 12:25:39

I  live near sea level. I put on the dyna with no carb mods and noticed an immediate degradation in mid-range performance and MPGs. Loud back fire when decelerating on the freeway.

I'm jetted up one stage now (147.5 main) with the white spacer at 1/2 thickness, performance and MPGs have noticeably improved. I still have soft backfire when changing gears.

One mistake that I made was not double checking my jet sizes before I ordered jets, now I need to re-order the #55 pilot.

I would suggest budgeting time to pull the carb, replace the "phillips" screws on the top and bottom of the carb, and do the spacer mod right away (prolly less than $5). Note the size of your stock pilot and main, and order 2-3 stages up for the main and 1 stage up for the pilot, as well as a replacement bowl gasket.

The closer I get to having this machine dialed in, the more I feel like I own the machine. But then I've only had the thing for 8 years.  Grin

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/06/14 at 12:39:08

the only mods i have so far are the seat mod and the raptor petcock. i plan on getting the k&n filter and rejetting and tuning the carb. im in sc so im pretty much on sea level. real humid all the time. the guy said that the baffle was in it but this doesnt look like much of a baffle.

1055.jpg
  IP Logged
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/06/14 at 12:43:20

i already have a really loud backfire when i turn the bike off. not so much when going down through the gears though. and nice pretty blue header pipe.  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/06/14 at 12:52:53

natesavage wrote on 06/06/14 at 12:39:08:
the only mods i have so far are the seat mod and the raptor petcock. i plan on getting the k&n filter and rejetting and tuning the carb. im in sc so im pretty much on sea level. real humid all the time. the guy said that the baffle was in it but this doesnt look like much of a baffle.

If you can see from one end to the other....with nothing blocking your view...then the center plug has been drilled or punched out....or it is not a real DYNA muffler.

The DYNA muffler allows the exhaust to flow into the pipe at the front of the muffler, and then in the middle of the length is a plug that forces the exhaust to exit through a bunch of holes in the pipe.  The exhaust flows through these holes and enters the outer chamber where the sound bounces around.....then the exhaust flows through a series of holes on the backside of that plug and into the center pipe....then the exhaust flows out the back.

If the center plug is gone, you can get a freeze plug at the auto stores and drive it into the center of the muffler.....I believe is is a 1-1/4" freeze plug that fits properly.  Drive it in from the inlet side - just in case there is a burr or something left over from the original plug....that will help hold the new one in place.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
natesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/06/14 at 19:13:14

so its just a plug, basically? do you have a picture or a link so i know what im expecting

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/06/14 at 21:49:26

I have to admit, my sdearch for the Dyna muffler's baffle has left me baffled..
If you can get your $$ back, do that,.,

If not, I would take the loss & go buy a REAL Dyna & put it on,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 06/06/14 at 22:00:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/14 at 21:49:26:
If not, I would take the loss & go buy a REAL Dyna & put it on,,

Yep. A real Dyna can be gotten for about 30.00 or less. Sometimes and education costs money.  I have a PhD in "Stupid" that's cost me a few grand over the years.  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 06/06/14 at 23:00:28

SP,.. you got bargain...
Mine cost way more... Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/06/14 at 23:40:59

I WISH I had my PHD,, Im still working on it,, Its not just costly, its embarrassing & sometimes painful & sometimes, a little bloody

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #11 - 07/02/14 at 09:41:30

One trick I learned recently one newb to another.  I'm pretty confident I have mixtures dialed in as much as Im comfortable playing with pilot screws etc.  bike didnt backfire while riding but did at shutdown like yours.  Solution from an old hat..is a way my dad used to shut down his bikes in the 70s.  Pull choke out.  Bike shuts down, no backfire.

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - 07/02/14 at 16:19:32

Serowbot wrote on 06/06/14 at 23:00:28:
SP,.. you got bargain...
Mine cost way more... Huh...

Serowbot, well... my PhD in stupid first marriages cost me about 300K. My PhD in stupid other stuff, not so much but now that the ex is paid off I can afford some of the tuition now.  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/02/14 at 16:21:03

You win... Grin...

IP Logged