Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange headlight issue... (Read 143 times)
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Strange headlight issue...
06/05/14 at 12:44:01

So, riding in to work this morning, while it was still dark, and I go to hit the hi-beam on my headlight.  Worked fine, but when I went to go back to lo-beam, the headlight died.  The hi-beam light on the dash panel stayed on regardless of the switch position, and no headlight at all in either position.  When I got home, I checked all the connections in the bucket, pulled the switch housing and checked to make sure the interior of the switch wasn't busted, and checked the bulb. Everything looks good to me.  

Anyone had a similar situation?  Suggestions?  Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Strange headlight issue...
Reply #1 - 06/05/14 at 13:03:49

Ive never seen this problem & Ive been here for a good while, SO, theres not a canned answer.
You tested the lite,, Ohm Meter? Or put 12 volts to it?

YOu checked the switch,,
V meter & change positions?

Are there ANY connectors between the switch & bulb you havent tested?

I dunno exactly where the High Beam indicator bulb gets its power,,
But, apparently its being told the lite is on,,so, Id probably wanna look at a diagram & see how it works,,I sold mine, book went with it, so, Im not able to look at it, sorry, man..

If it gets its power from the wire coming outta the switch,, HO!! Wait a minnit,, I doubt that pukey little switch carries the headlite current,, maybe theres a relay,, The switch is telling the relay what to do, its screwed up, lying to the Hi Beam bulb & NOT feedin hoot to the bulb,,
If you dont Have a wiring diagram, look around the tech section for one,,Or, wait on more input,, either way., everything but blown motors gets fixed around here. relax, its gonna live,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/05/14 at 13:11:10

Nope....no relay.  The puny little switch does the work.

Just after the switch.....the yellow wire travels down the wiring harness, and a smaller yellow wire is tapped in and heads to the high beam light.  You most likely have a broken yellow wire in the harness that is bent over and over and over again as you turn the handlebars.

Having a broken headlight wire in that harness is common - but having both the white low beam and yellow high beam wires break at the same time is not.  It could be that the ground wire to the headlight has broken in that harness, and the high beam indicator light uses a different wire for ground.

Try running a jumper ground wire to the black wire on the headlight, and see if that makes things work.

Here is the link to the wiring diagrams.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 06/06/14 at 06:11:27

Like Dave pointed out, start with the simple make sure the headlight itself works before starting a wire witch hunt   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/06/14 at 06:19:43

IF providing a ground to the lite doesnt do it, then ya know its the hot wires,, BUT, as Dave pointed out, having 2 wires go down at the same time isnt exactly common. I like the troubleshooting method he tossed you.. Very good approach..

Okay, so, lets say it lites up when ya go to the plug on the bulb & jumper a ground in.. Now you either run a parallel ground Or find where the wire is busted. YOu can bet it will be where the most flexing is done in a turn. Look at the wiring loom when its parked & on the stand, tire to the left. Find where its bent the hardest. Then find that ground wire & jumper into it with a ground. If it works then the break is closer to the end of the wire away from the lite. If not, then its closer to the lite. Depending on access TO the wires & how theyre bundled you may be ahead to just run a wire next to it & call it good.
You can run hot wires or grounds,, hey, you just gotta provide paths for electrons to run on,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #5 - 06/06/14 at 13:07:59

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm not gonna get a chance to go through any of it until Sunday, but I'll take all these ideas and run with 'em.  The thing that throws me is that the dash panel light for hi-beam stays on all the time, but no light. The switch has to be engaged somehow, right?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/06/14 at 13:14:04

Smokestack wrote on 06/06/14 at 13:07:59:
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm not gonna get a chance to go through any of it until Sunday, but I'll take all these ideas and run with 'em.  The thing that throws me is that the dash panel light for hi-beam stays on all the time, but no light. The switch has to be engaged somehow, right?

The High Beam Indicator stays on all the time....or just the switch is in the High Beam position?

As I indicated in the earlier post.   The yellow wire for the high beam comes out of the switch and travels down the wiring harness.  Somewhere in the middle of that harness a smaller yellow wire comes off and travels to the High Beam Indicator light.  If the yellow wire for the headlight is broken after the connection with the smaller wire...that could explain how the indicator light still works and the headlight high beam does not.  Also....the indicator light gets the ground from a different wire than the headlight....so the ground to the headlight could also be the problem.

Dave

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/06/14 at 16:38:20

Dave, the light is on all the time. I can flick the switch to either position and it stays on, with no headlight.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/06/14 at 19:21:08

Smokestack wrote on 06/06/14 at 16:38:20:
Dave, the light is on all the time. I can flick the switch to either position and it stays on, with no headlight.

Uh Oh.....that would indicate that I have no idea what is going on.

For some reason the smaller yellow wire in the harness is being powered all the time.....not sure why the high beam does not come on.

Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/06/14 at 19:57:03

probably means you gotta short.
most likely spot for the short is where the wires enter the bucket.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/06/14 at 21:37:02

You think you have a better chance on Sunday? Is that when your prayers usually get answered? So far I havent spotted any timing in mine,,

You could check the diagram & see where the power for the High Beam lite comes from,, BUT,, the "How to get the lite turned on" advice stands until you toss us info that would make it sound, well,, less than intelligent,,

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #11 - 06/08/14 at 12:04:10

Found it. Bad ground wire inside the bucket. Under the wrap, so I didn' t see it. Wire got cut or pinched somehow without cutting the loom rubber. Still trying to figure out how that happened, but 1 new ground wire later and I'm up and running. Sorry it wasn't anything wierd or spectacular, and thanks for the help in any case.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/09/14 at 06:58:18

You feel like telling us HOW ya found where the wire was busted w/o so much as a visual clue? Im impressed,, & ALL hidden , busted wires are "special problems".. Ya done good, take a bow..

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #13 - 06/10/14 at 16:29:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/09/14 at 06:58:18:
You feel like telling us HOW ya found where the wire was busted w/o so much as a visual clue? Im impressed,, & ALL hidden , busted wires are "special problems".. Ya done good, take a bow..

Truthfully? I found it by chance. The next plan was to pull all the connections in the bucket apart, scotch brite the ends, slap a bunch of di-electric grease on 'em and try that.  When I went to disconnect the Y split ground, one of the ends was caught on the little bendable retaining tab and out came the whole Y connector ground.  I peeled back the loom material and found the place it broke; looked like it was cut or pinched somehow. Soldered it back together and down the road I went.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/11/14 at 05:13:38

Youre a blessed man.. Sweet sweet Sarah has blessed you.

Shes a fine gal, that Sarah.. Odd last name, I guess her middle name is Nancy,, not sure..

Sarah N Dippity,, youre lucky to know her,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:16:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Strange headlight issue...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.