Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
head cover gasket weeping (Read 86 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

head cover gasket weeping
06/04/14 at 16:32:56

OK in have redone my head cover gasket twice...both times I had real good gasket coverage...both times it weeps, not a leak but a wetness around the spark plug area...

Any thoughts? Should I just leave it till I have a better reason to get in there like a timing chain replacement...I'm at 18500.00 miles.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: head cover gasket weeping
Reply #1 - 06/04/14 at 17:00:38

leave it,.. it looks vintage that way...

mine weeps, too... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/04/14 at 17:07:05

Just wetness, not any visible clues?  Probably where I had a leak. Under one of the head bolts. You can find the leak by pressurizing the case by hooking up a tire gage to the breather hose (take the Schrader valve adapter) and add 1 or 2 lbs. It will start to bubble. I wouldn't add much more than that as you might blow out the seals.

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/04/14 at 17:18:20

Serowbot yours is likely perfect and your trying to make me feel better? Shocked

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/04/14 at 17:46:42

verslagen1 wrote on 06/04/14 at 17:07:05:
Just wetness, not any visible clues?  Probably where I had a leak. Under one of the head bolts. You can find the leak by pressurizing the case by hooking up a tire gage to the breather hose (take the Schrader valve adapter) and add 1 or 2 lbs. It will start to bubble. I wouldn't add much more than that as you might blow out the seals.

Under the bolt on the forward side of the "u" where the plug lives...its a bugger and a pain to redo. It had a little ooz of gasket there this last time. It has since peeled away...weeps...drive me ocd crazy...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/05/14 at 09:44:55

Its been difficult for me, since Ive always been a perfectionist, but with age & failing health Ive learned to say "Thats good enough" or "Its just not worth the time & energy to go in to fix that".
As stated, youve already been there to fix it & didnt,, SOOO,, how much time are ya willing to risk wasting by trying again? It runs, its a bike, its as fun as if it didnt oooze,, How much oil are ya losing, in terms of dollars/ year? How much of a mess is it? Is it worth messing with NOW?
As you already considered, youre Going back in, eventually,, for the cam chain, SO, Id wait & Id really consider doing the troubleshooting & pinpoint where the problem is,, & Id sure be looking closely at every sealing washer that comes out, AND study where they land. Sealing washers can only seal if the surface they are on is smooth enough to allow them to seal. Id also consider replacing them,, theyre cheap,,

If you dont have the Versy I'm shocked youve got that many miles & no new cam chain,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #6 - 06/05/14 at 11:23:11

forget the head for a while..
I'm at 19k miles, got the versy @ 18k miles but the chain is original..
when installing the versy, almost didn't have enough chain stretch to
get the versy installed (2nd hole) Wink
I am the original owner

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #7 - 06/05/14 at 16:16:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/05/14 at 09:44:55:
Its been difficult for me, since Ive always been a perfectionist, but with age & failing health Ive learned to say "Thats good enough"...

Yeppers, JOG2. I've been in construction for 33 years and have gotten to "good enough" finally. There's ALWAYS a detail you coulda done better, but there's an old Greek saying, "Many will see, but few will notice." Same for minor leaks, paint blips, and handyman mods. Most of the people who notice my bike are riding from the opposite direction at 45-50mph. No one will see that overspray on my spokes.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/06/14 at 02:41:05

Thanks all...I get the message...thanks for the boot in the bottom. I gotta chill

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/06/14 at 05:53:18

Ride it, enjoy it for what it is, look past the warts, look at it it like youd like to be looked at,,Dont let fear of someone elses thinking force you into action.. IOW, if someone else thinks its such a big deal, let them fix it,,

Kinda reminds me of when I built a fence to keep my kid IN the yard & dogs out,, My dad was over & as he was leaving he pointed out a coupla things about the fence that werent quite up to snuff.. I listened,, I didnt get upset, I just pointed to the shed & told him all the tools needed to build the fence were right in there.. If my fence doesnt suit ya, get on with fixin it.. Im pleased with it, it works & it wont be falling down,,Im callin it good, but if you wanna make it perfect, get on it,, Ya know what? He didnt ever even Touch that fence.. I guess it wasnt bad enough to really need messed with,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:34:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › head cover gasket weeping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.