Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with rear turn signal (Read 62 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Need help with rear turn signal
05/31/14 at 19:59:20

Hey all, I just brought home my new-to-me '08 S40.
I checked all the lights the first time I looked at the bike and again today before making the purchase and they all worked.
The seller and I noticed the right rear turn signal light was loose so he grabbed an allen wrench and tightened it up.  On the ride home, I noticed the right turn signals weren't working.
When I got home, I contacted the seller and asked if he had any problem with the turn signals in the past and he stated the guy that does his work fixed something because "there was an electrical contact issue".  Wish he would have divulged that but it's my problem now.  No big deal, I hope.

I just loosened the allen screw on the right rear a little and then the light worked so I decided to pull it off and check it out.  It seems like the wire that comes out of the rear fender just runs up inside the blinker housing and the screw makes contact to complete the circuit?  Is that the case?

I checked the left side blinker and it has a phillips head screw so something has definitely been messed with.
I can't get any more wire out on the right side so it looks like I'll need to pull off the chrome side pieces that run along the fender and also hold the sissy bar on.

I just wanted to post this for any help, advice or guidance before I dig in there tomorrow.

Other than that, the front brake squeaks more than I can tolerate so I'll need to deal with that and the bike backfired a couple times on the ride home.  Only when decelerating from highway speed to a stop without gradually letting the throttle off.  It pops when I let the throttle all the way off from speed rather than gradually letting it off. Also, I'm gonna hafta do the mod where you lift the front of the seat.  With that big hump in the seat, I can't slide back and get comfortable like I can on my scooter.  I'm not too big for the bike; just shy of 5'10" and about 180#

Thanks in advance for any help with the blinker issue or comments on the brake squeak or backfiring.  I'll be trying to search the forum for those pearls.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Re: Need help with rear turn signal
Reply #1 - 05/31/14 at 23:03:45

aaahhh yes,the infamous single cylinder back fire....search the tech section for ways to quieten it...I love it louds..cars know I'm there   Grin  Cool

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/31/14 at 23:25:16

That Allen head screw rubbed through the insulation on the signal wire. Screwing it tight grounds the wire out. Take out the screw, squirt in some silicone and let it dry. Replace that screw with a shorter one, end of issue.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/01/14 at 08:08:31

WD wrote on 05/31/14 at 23:25:16:
That Allen head screw rubbed through the insulation on the signal wire. Screwing it tight grounds the wire out. Take out the screw, squirt in some silicone and let it dry. Replace that screw with a shorter one, end of issue.

Thanks for getting back to me, WD.
So, was I on the right track about the electrical connection for the turn signals? Is the circuit completed by the mounting screw or is there something I'm missing?
I'm including a pic of what the wire/insulator looks like with the signal pulled off.  When I squeeze that insulator, it feels like the wire is pretty far from the end of the opening.  I don't want to pull the left one off because the wire feels pretty tight, even with the screw removed.

As for that allen head, it's longer than the philips on the left.

ART951401633476526.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 06/01/14 at 08:17:22

The circuit is there as soon as you plug the signal in. The screw is only supposed to snug the light assembly tight to the support rail. When you bottom the screw out and the light goes out, it means current is not going to the bulb, it is grounding out. Not good.

The lights on our bikes are stand alone units, they have power and ground wires built in. You could set it on the seat and turn the key, as long as the light is plugged in under the seat, it will glow.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 06/01/14 at 13:51:05

Got it fixed. I think the factory screw probably vibrated out on the previous owner and his repair guy replaced it with the longer Allen head which broke through the wires when it was tightened all the way.
I spliced in jumpers using solder and heat shrink.
I even had 2 Allen head screws that were the perfect thread pitch and just a tad shorter than the stock screws so I replaced both rear signal screws so they match. Not for looks, but to make it easier next time I need to remove 'em.

Now, on to brake pads, oil change and seat lift!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:38:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with rear turn signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.