Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuse issues (Read 43 times)
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Fuse issues
05/30/14 at 01:17:06

So yesterday when riding to work I popped a fuse.  Luckily I carry extras.  I replaced the fuse and continued on my way.  I popped another fuse just as I arrived at work.  On my way home I managed to pop the fuse 3 more times.  I replaced them each time.  Good thing I had a small box of 20 fuses in my bag.....LOL.  

Last time this happened I was able to locate a wire that was worn out and I fixed the issue.  This time I tried to narrow down the problem and couldn't determine where it was coming from.  

I took a small piece of wire, and then with a Dremmel I ground down both sides of the fuse and soldered the wire in.  I placed the modified fuse in so I was able to go to work without any worry of popping another fuse.  

On my way to work I noticed several times when I used the hand brake the headlight and the turn signals etc. would dim.  I squeezed it on and off and determined it was definitely the hand brake.  I tried the foot brake and this did not cause any dimming.  I few miles down the road I tried again and found the hand brake did not cause any issues.  This occurred back and forth several times.  I think I have narrowed the problem down to the wiring from the hand brake.

My questions:

Is the modified fuse safe, or will I damage something?
Am I correct in assuming the wiring between the hand brake and the actual brake light has some sort of short?  If I find this and replace / fix that section I should be fine.

« Last Edit: 05/30/14 at 04:28:05 by Dave »  

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Fuse issues
Reply #1 - 05/30/14 at 04:32:15

No it is not safe to eliminate a fuse.....there is nothing to stop excess current from frying your wiring harness if the short becomes severe.  A toasted wiring harness, smoke, fire, and a useless bike could all be in your future if you continue to operate the bike without a fuse.  If the fuse wasn't needed.....why do you think they put them in?

Disconnect the wires at the hand brake......and see if the fuses stop blowing.   Just be sure to use your foot brake so that the brake light operates when you are in traffic.

AND.....take out your wire and put a fuse back in.....NOW!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #2 - 05/30/14 at 05:42:00

Thanks Dave

I figured since it was intermittent it wasn’t putting a constant load on and it would be safe.  But I know you are CORRECT. Sometimes we ask questions we know the answers to and we just need someone to tell us.

Thanks

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #3 - 05/30/14 at 05:43:58

\Someone told me there is a fuse you can buy that you can reset....sort of like a breaker.  Do they make them in 20 amp ....like for our bikes.  

I know I need to figure out what is causing the prob but using a new fuse every time while I diagnose is a pain in the ass.

Found these will they work?

http://www.delcity.net/store/ATO-:-ATC-Low-Profile-Circuit-Breakers/p_795453....

http://www.delcity.net/store/Blade!Style-Maxi-Fuse-Circuit-Breakers/p_152.h_1...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/30/14 at 07:18:45

Those are nice.  I'd get the manual reset.  auto might be thermal.

But those won't be good for tracking down a short.  Use a light (like a tail light) plugged in where the fuse goes or HF sells a meter that plugs in like a fuse.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/30/14 at 08:02:43

You can buy them at any Autozone, PepBoys, NAPA, Carquest, truck stop, etc. Get manual reset 20A and forget about them. While you are there, pick up enough dielectric grease to waterproof all your wire connectors and the sparkplug boot.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/30/14 at 08:51:33

I did not know about "re-settable" fuses.. coolniss..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuse issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.