Send Topic Print
question about tires (Read 114 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
question about tires
05/27/14 at 15:57:14

I tried searching but didn't find the results I was looking for.  Maybe I'm just not savvy enough on this particular forum yet!

I'm looking at 2 bikes for purchase and both have original tires (<3K on each bike) but they are from 2007 & 2008 so I should probably replace the shoes if I buy.

1.  Knowing y'all are the experts, what are the preferred tires on this forum?  I've used Michelins in the past with good results and haven't like Pirellis.

2.  Is the 140/90-15 a direct fit replacement?  No mods needed?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: question about tires
Reply #1 - 05/27/14 at 17:15:03

Everyone has their preference.  A lot of guys like Kenda, good & reasonably priced.  I like Metzlers because they last a long time.  Anything is better than the OEM tires.  Yeah, that tire is bigger than standard and the saddle bag supports might rub.  Just use allen/cap head bolts and you'll probably be ok.  Feel free to post more questions, good luck.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/27/14 at 18:21:49

I think the miles per year you expect to ride matters some,
No need to buy a tire that will run 35,000 miles if youre only gonna ride 2,000 a year. Itll be old & spooky before its worn out,,
& dont be savin a dime on rubber only to ride it 3,000 & hafta drop the $$$ for a new one every 3 months,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/28/14 at 08:26:40

Thanks for the replies.  I tend to wear out tires long before they age.  My current scooter is an '08 with 40K miles.  I commute about 42 miles/day and ride pretty aggressively.  Not like an a-hole; just quick take-offs and "fun" cornering.  I hit 60 mph on pretty much every commute since the roads have 45 - 50 mph limits.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/28/14 at 08:36:25

Then drop the $$, get stuff thatll last,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 05/28/14 at 09:46:35

72 miles per day minimum. I run an old stock VS800 Dunlop Qualifier (picked 2 up on clearance for $36 each) and the bike had a Shinko 712F front when I bought it. The Dunlop I put on when the bike was still in Pine's stable... Good wet weather traction, great wet weather braking. I've put a bunch of miles on it in under 2 months, had 7157.5 at purchase, now has 9240 and change on it.

100/90-19F, 140/90-15R

My last set of Dunlops (D404) went over 40K miles on a Vulcan 800A, which is a good bit heavier and has a lot more power. Some Savage folks have found them to be lousy, but if ran at 40psi front and rear they are great tires. Get Made in USA or Made in Japan Dunlops ONLY... if the tire sidewall has Korea, China or Taiwan on it, demand your money back. The K-C-T made ones are garbage, no better than ChengShin, Maxxis or Shinko low end tire lines.

I will not be buying another Shinko 712F, it has a max sidewall rating of 33psi and is very soft. It won't last very long, already leaves a rubber dust trail on the sidewalk where I park at work.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/30/14 at 15:29:15

Probably an obvious one here:  buying a 2008 with low miles but original tires so I'm going to replace them.  Thinking Dunlop unless I hear of good reasons to avoid them.

Replace the tubes, too.  Right?
Please don't judge.  I'm used to tubeless tires.  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:28:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question about tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.