Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust/ Baffles - Attempted to Make My Own (Read 154 times)
SuzukiSavage01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust/ Baffles - Attempted to Make My Own
05/27/14 at 14:16:55

I am new and bought my 2001 Savage 650 about a month ago. So far it is awesome and I am loving it. The only issue that I have so far is the exhaust. I bought it from a friend of mine who had it straight piped with a 165 jet. I got pulled over and issued a fix it ticket, so the stock muffler went back on. I would like a slightly louder and deeper tone, although I understand that I am only going to get so much out of a single cylinder. I decided to play around with the pipe that I had when I got pulled over, and made my own baffle.

The pipe I have is 2" OD and about 15" long. The baffle is about a foot long, and I welded two plugs inside the pipe to force the air through the holes that I drilled. I started with .5" holes first, .435" holes in the middle, and .375" holes at the tail end of the pipe.

This was just experimentation on my part, and the bike is still pretty loud with the set up and the 165 jet. Any advice to achieving a slightly deeper/louder tone than the stock muffler? I'm curious about what other people have done for their setups, tips if anyone made their own baffles, or anywhere I could look to buy a decent sounding and looking exhaust set up. I remember reading somewhere about a Harley Dyna setup

Exhaust_Pipe_and_Baffle.jpg
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Exhaust/ Baffles - Attempted to Make My Own
Reply #1 - 05/27/14 at 14:25:33

Dyna is deeper but not much louder than stock.... a super trap I believe is loud when you get on it, but tolerable when at lower rpm.

I am liking wicked's setup, here have a listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03vJk0KC5Y&feature=youtu.be

and send wickedbiker a pm if you want to know what he is running

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/27/14 at 14:33:18

I have a Supertrapp and run 8 discs. Like old rider says, it has a nice deep rumble especially when backing off the throttle. Also, unless you run more than eight discs, you do not have to rejet the carb. Spendy tho! Be prepared to spend around $400 for a new one. I thought it was worth it tho because of the difference in sound and performance.  Pick up a dyno for around $25 or less on Ebay

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/27/14 at 15:09:02

The Harley dyna/sportster muff is probably the easiest way to go, good tone at a decent volume.  You'll find a How-To in the tech section.  Hit the link below then ctrl-f enter dyna

other wise search for muffler mod and you'll get a 100 hits

look for Hartman mod, and some by diamondjim and some that have done his mod with more detail.

But the short of it, a long tail pipe will give you a deep tone.  Then you'll need a baffle to reduce the volume.

Now, depending where you're at... you may get a ticket with anything that's not stock... just so you know.  some barney will violate you with a night stick.   Shocked

looking at what you did, I'd say you need a smaller pipe and more and smaller holes.

WWW   IP Logged
kochic

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

st-jean-de-matha, qc
Reply #4 - 05/27/14 at 15:11:20

Not enough holes, you need plenty of small holes and a place to pack lot of muffler packing to have less noise.
You can also weld washers or sink crumb cup to help a little.
Marc

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/27/14 at 15:46:01

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #6 - 05/27/14 at 17:16:10

Hey man. Welcome to Savage owning.
The baffle you made looks like you're on the right track. I'd make the holes all the same size. The plug inside the baffle is a good idea. Problem with yours might be that the tube looks too similar to the diameter of the muffler pipe. So theres not a huge space for the gas to exit the holes, expand (and quiet down) before they get forced through the next set of holes to the next chamber. There needs to be some room for expansion for it to work well as a silencer. I made a very similar baffle. My can is a bit bigger than yours. It works very well and I was able to tune the noise level by just drilling more holes til I liked the sound.
If you have room in the can, a glass pack baffle behind the mechanical baffle can take some of the "bark" out of the exhaust note and give a more mellow rumble. If you know what I mean?
Good luck.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/27/14 at 17:24:28

In order to reduce the loudness....you really need some form of a chamber to allow the pulses to dampen.  Some mufflers use a chamber with glass or steel wool to dampen the sound waves - other muffler uses baffles and air chambers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SuzukiSavage01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/28/14 at 13:37:01

Hey thanks for all of the advice guys. I am making another baffle with small quarter inch holes this time, and going to add steel wool around the outside to dampen some sound. Also, I think I am going to pick up a cheap dyna muffler off craigslist for kicks to see how that sounds. Is there any danger of wrecking or overheating anything if I keep running the 165 jet? Am I creating too much back pressure by reducing the diameter that the exhaust has to flow through with the baffle?

Here's a picture of my bike, it was my grocery getter that day!

10001282_10203883972242711_581699129169135661_n.jpg
  IP Logged
SuzukiSavage01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/28/14 at 13:43:13

Also, thanks for the heads up on on some of the other posts about this topic, I am starting to read through them now. I'm liking what I am reading about the Harley short mufflers

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/28/14 at 14:00:12

A 165 main jet is waaaay to rich.  A 155 is probably more than is ever needed.....152.5 is more common.....150 works for most.

Here is the baffle system I made for my megaphone....it works great.  It is 2" and 1.5' pipes.  The flow come in the inside, has to pass outside, is forced inside again, then outside....and finally inside and exit.  The megaphone functions to provide 2 seperate chambers for the pressure pulse to bounce around in.  I made the baffle in 2 pieces so I could take the front one off if I wanted more sound (louder)....but I have never left it out as I like the sound with both baffles in place.

Dave

IMG_0874_001.JPG

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 05/28/14 at 14:13:18

Haha!  I love the milk jug hanging off the side!!   Grin

Running too rich a jet has the danger of possibly washing oil off of your cylinder walls with too much fuel.  Not a good thing!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #12 - 05/29/14 at 07:06:58

I have the same kind of baffle and what worked good for me was I took exhaust/manifold wrap and wrapped it around the baffle and used coaxle copper or any thick wire of your choosing and wrapped that around to hold it. Works great!!

WWW   IP Logged
SuzukiSavage01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/29/14 at 07:22:27

Alright I will look into a new jet, the 165 was in it when I bought it. I like your baffles, looks good! I have extra exhaust wrap that I could wrap around the holes on the baffle, that wont suffocate the exhaust flow too much?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/29/14 at 13:58:51

SuzukiSavage01 wrote on 05/29/14 at 07:22:27:
Alright I will look into a new jet, the 165 was in it when I bought it. I like your baffles, looks good! I have extra exhaust wrap that I could wrap around the holes on the baffle, that wont suffocate the exhaust flow too much?

If your exhaust is using the holes to flow in/out of....you don't wrap them with anything and this is called a "baffle".  The noise reduction is caused by the restriction causing the exhaust waves to bunch together a bit.  This is much more effective it the pressure waves have a chamber to bounce around in.  The DYNA muffler and stock muffler work this way.

If your exhaust is passing through the center of the pipe and the pipe has holes for the pressure wave to bounce around through....then you can use a wrap and you have a "glass pack".  The exhaust goes straight through the inner pipe - but some of the sound is dampbed by the holes and packing.  These type of muffler are better are canceling the high frequencies more than the low ones, and they are often deep sounding and loud.  The EMGO mufflers are built this way.....and they are loud.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:20:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust/ Baffles - Attempted to Make My Own

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.