Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New guy about to get my S40 (Read 150 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
New guy about to get my S40
05/21/14 at 14:30:28

Well, hey there forum.  I'm a new guy here (first post; account just now approved) and really close to buying my bike.
I have my eye on two bikes and thought I would ask a couple of questions to reap the benefits of the hive-mind.
The 2 bikes I'm looking at are:

'07 with 3,875 miles and it already has saddle bags and a windshield.
'08 with 2,735 miles.

Both seem to have awfully low miles for their age.  Both are priced about the same.
I looked at the '08 yesterday and it seems OK; has some minor flecks of rust on the corners of a few chrome nuts even though the owner keeps it garaged.  He's the second owner so perhaps the first one didn't keep it indoors.  Tires have plenty of tread but I forgot to check the manufacture date  Embarrassed.  Belt looked good.  Nothing to indicate the mileage might be 'incorrect'.
I hope to check out the '07 tomorrow; it's about an hour and a half away so I've been avoiding the drive.

So, I've been reading the threads/posts about buying a used bike and I have an idea what to look for but 2 questions come to mind:

1.  Are there any issues particular to either of these model years to look for?

2.  Can anyone give me a ballpark figure to get the tires replaced?Assuming the tires are original, I imagine I'll have to spring for new shoes just due to age, unless garage-storage is enough protection over time.  I have messages out to both sellers about the manufacture date of the tires.

Other than that, I know it's totally my call.
Thanks to all and I'm looking forward to the forum!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Re: New guy about to get my S40
Reply #1 - 05/21/14 at 14:44:26

welcome new guy  Wink

tires will cost about $125 rear
$75 front (if you change them)

good luck (no serious issues with those year/models)

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 05/21/14 at 15:18:08

Welcome Tocsik. Either of those bikes sounds good. I wouldn't worry about the rust on the nuts,that just happens. Soon as you touch a chromed fastener on a jap bike,the chrome gets compromised and a bit of rust starts bleeding through. If you really want, you can get a replacement set in stainless. Good luck man. Savages rock.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/21/14 at 15:22:13

shorty wrote on 05/21/14 at 14:44:26:
welcome new guy  Wink

tires will cost about $125 rear
$75 front (if you change them)

good luck (no serious issues with those year/models)

Thanks Shorty.  My current ride (scooter) has a center stand so taking the wheels off isn't too difficult.  I can get a rear wheel lift but what's the best way to change the front?  
Do most folks 'round here do their own tires?  Of those, do most use a MC lift?  I'd hate to mar the rims.  

Thanks again and sorry for all the newb questions.  I'm a quick learner, though.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #4 - 05/21/14 at 15:28:20

any automotive scissor jack will do..
jack point under engine (forward) will raise front wheel..
jack point at muffler bracket will raise rear wheel..

if you take the wheels to a shop they can do both tires within (1) labor/hour.. or maybe start learning how to do your own  Wink

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 05/21/14 at 15:29:47

Welcome Tocsik, only way to know which to choose, is the one that appeals to you most.
Northern bikes more often have lower miles because of the short driving months.
Tires vary according to brand name and style.

You are making a good choice with the S40(650savage), from the early 90's to present the basic frame/engine has stayed the same with just a few changes in electrical and seats.

Before then the savage had a four speed and a crappy starter <gear>.

The technical section of this forum is full of helpful information, and don't forget to look in the "Table of contents with links" in the Tech section. Listed there are all kinds of fixes and modifications also a picture cd download with TONS of information.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/21/14 at 15:43:11

Thanks again everyone.  As I already suspected, this site is absolutely chock full of amazing info.  I'm just now finding the threads with posts on homemade bike lifts.  

It's good to be back in school again.  Wink

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 05/21/14 at 16:40:36

Welcome, you'll really enjoy it and their is a wealth on information here and a lot of good people as well.

Bookmark this page:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Good luck!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 05/21/14 at 16:49:53

The standard IRC rear is something of an orphan size. Many on here go for a 140/90 profile rear which apparently makes the speedo more accurate. The Shinko brand is popular with many here. I use Micheleins myself. Few on this forum have much good to say about the OEM IRC's.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/21/14 at 17:00:44

Tires generally start to go hard after about 4 years even if you aren't riding on them....but if you don't ride aggressively in the corners you can ride them for a while.  When the rubber gets harder....they don't stick as well.  When the tires start to get checks in them....replace them for sure.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #10 - 05/21/14 at 17:14:58

Yeah,

I dunno how much it costs - I have changed all my own tires on my '07.  The first one was the first tire I've changed (other than bicycle).

You can find out how to do everything you need from this site + maybe a shop manual.  I bought mine new in '07, have not taken it to a mechanic except for annual inspections.  I think I have about 28,000 miles on 'er.  

I have used 140/90 tire on the back with good results. Currently liking the Kenda Challenger as a good price/quality compromise.  

My preferred "jack" method is winch it up to garage i beam with a come-along

re old tires:  did you ever see "The World's Fastest Indian"? - Burt rubs shoe polish into his old cracked tires to pass safety check!! Smiley
-'course he didn't really have to turn  Undecided

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 05/21/14 at 17:25:12

DIY lift...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 05/21/14 at 17:48:29

That looked too easy, real good idea.  Thanks for posting.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/21/14 at 18:00:48

Welcome to the forum.  When choosing between the two bikes take a close look at the heads of the bolts and the nuts.  You may already know this but if you are new to motorcycles and mechanics in general check to see if any nuts and bolts, especially on the engine have slightly rounded corners.  If so, it means someone has been in there for some reason and they didn't own good wrenches which is a bad sign.

If the condition of the two bikes is equal I would buy the newer bike with fewer miles.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 05/22/14 at 18:23:08

I bought my 06 last May with very low miles, only 3270, with original stock tires. I just replaced them with Mezelers, 888 on front and 880 on rear at almost 13000 miles. The stock tires worked great all last year and the front had lots of tread to go. I am finding the Mezelers with their distinctive tread pattern do as advertised. They stick well and don't pull you in on road grooves, vertical tar repairs, grid bridges, etc., but I still found the stock tires very capable. I know that goes against most views expressed here, but this has been my experience.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 13:06:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New guy about to get my S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.