Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chroming Aluminum Parts (Read 87 times)
jgrandmont
YaBB Newbies

Buzzards Bay, MA
Chroming Aluminum Parts
05/22/14 at 18:50:52

Some of the aluminum parts on my "09 are getting pitted and I was thinking of someday maybe having them chromed. Has anyone else here done this? If so, was it expensive?

'09 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Chroming Aluminum Parts
Reply #1 - 05/22/14 at 19:23:01

why not just try to polish it.
done it before.  cheap, easy and comes out nice.

dont believe me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOodLNI4BQ

the only thing that concerns me are the the nooks and crannies.  maybe im impatient but ive never had as much success with those...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/22/14 at 22:53:17

Youve got clear coat thats spidering. Where its cracked the aluminum is oxidized/ A "palm Sander" orbital with 3M green scrubby pads cut to fit & a spray bottle of water with knock the clear off and put a nice textured look on the aluminum,, spray clear on it,, Ta Daah..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/23/14 at 04:59:13

Yes you can have aluminum parts chromed, and yes it is expensive.  The parts have to be polished, plated with copper, polished, plated with nickel and chrome.

You can just strip the clear coat and keep the alumium polished - if you live in a damp environment or ride in the rain a lot....it does require that you polish it often.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 05/24/14 at 04:16:37

I have polished my side covers and some other parts and they are so shiny you can read a newspaper off them. Pretty simple and quick to do. First, you have to remove the clear coating. Lots of stuff sold over the counter to do the job. Then I went to harbor Freights and bought these foam sanding pads that come in fine, medium and heavy. Sanded the aluminum until it was clean of the clear coating and most of the fine scratches removed. It only takes maybe 15 minutes for a casing. I also bought some buffing wheels at harbor Freights also for like $5. Used a little rubbing compound then polished them on the wheel and it is as close to chrome as you can get.

IP Logged
jgrandmont
YaBB Newbies

Buzzards Bay, MA
Reply #5 - 05/24/14 at 05:56:45

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I'll try just polishing first. My riding buddy has access to a sand blaster, so I assume that would make quick work of removing the clear coat. My main concern is the engine covers and front fork tubes.

'09 Suzuki Boulevard S40
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 05/24/14 at 07:18:13

Sandblasting is too aggressive, you'll at best pit the material beyond any hope of polishing it. You can buy fine grit stripping wheels that fit in an electric drill. Or use a brass bristle wire wheel. Either way, go slowly or you will groove the parts.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 05/24/14 at 09:54:59

^^ What WD said.... aluminum is a VERY SOFT metal, you are looking to just remove the clear coat and polish the aluminum, then recoat it. A medium abrasive should remove the coating, then polish with a compound for aluminum, wipe it all down and then apply a new clear coat to preserve your hard work.

When you get your abrasive material, start on the bottom somewhere were it is not seen, to find out how your strip job is going to work...if it scratches too deep, then get a finer material.
I used an aluminum car wheel polishing compound for my forward controls and they look great.

I used a 19v battery powered drill and a polishing pad..

Before:

After:

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:42:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chroming Aluminum Parts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.