Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
altitude change performance question (Read 84 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
altitude change performance question
05/19/14 at 20:15:35

I'm taking my first long trip on my 2012 S40 this summer. I live in Indiana and I'll be going to Wyoming with alternate routes to Colorado or New Mexico depending on weather conditions at the time. Will the change in altitude create a performance issue that I need to be prepared to compensate for?

Rick in Indiana

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: altitude change performance question
Reply #1 - 05/19/14 at 22:15:40

You tune your bike for where you ride... if this is a one time thing,.. just ride through it...
Thinner air at higher elevations will cause a little loss in power, and some popping...
Just enjoy the trip... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #2 - 05/20/14 at 04:52:23

Explain the "popping" please.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/20/14 at 06:37:04

"Afterfires" on deceleration... Most carbed bikes will have rich pops on decel in the mountains...
No harm.... you don't correct for it, or else you'd be lean when you come down...
Just enjoy them, they're fun... Great echo's in the canyons... Grin....

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 05/20/14 at 09:40:15

I make altitude gains/losses on a regular basis...from 5000 to over 10,000 in the Rockies...
The most that has happened is that I get lots of decel pops on my way down from the passes...I could stop and adjust my air screw to compensate but I'm usually having too much fun to worry about doing that!
Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/20/14 at 10:09:38

Bubba wrote on 05/20/14 at 09:40:15:
I make altitude gains/losses on a regular basis...from 5000 to over 10,000 in the Rockies...
The most that has happened is that I get lots of decel pops on my way down from the passes...I could stop and adjust my air screw to compensate but I'm usually having too much fun to worry about doing that!
Grin

I almost hate to post this......but it is a thought.  The pops and bangs on deceleration happen because with the throttle closed there is a high vacuum that is pulling a lot of air past the almost completely closed throttle.....while the only fuel being supplied is through the idle circuit that is adjusted for a normal vacuum.  With so little fuel flowing there too much air and not enough fuel for the spark plug to ignite the mixture.  The unburned fuel and air goes into the header and is ignited by the hot exhaust....or by the next flame that does come out of the cylinder.  Our carb has a TEV (Throttle Enrichment Valve) that is supposed to supply additional fuel flow during these periods of high vacuum and low throttle opening.....not sure how effective it is.

OK....the potential controversy.  During those times when you are going down the steep grades, and the throttle remains closed for long periods of time, and you just keep going blat,blat,blat,blat,blat for long period of time.....wonder what would happen if you pulled the Enrichment Knob out a notch or two during the long descents to see if it would richen things up a bit and eliminate the noise.  (This should not be done when the throttle is going to be applied....as the engine would be too rich). It could be that the TEV is already adding fuel and the use of the Enrichment Knob may not be able to add any additional fuel through the idle circuit.   My hills in KY are short, and I don't have any problems with this issue.

My only concern would be if too much fuel is added...and it starts gumming things up and washing down the cylinder wall with unburned fuel.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/20/14 at 10:17:59

I'll try that sometime but the roads over the passes (at least the ones I'm on) are pretty much twisty's up and down...
I do occasionally just coast along (in gear) but mostly it's for a brief time and pulling/pushing the enrichment knob would get old pretty fast...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/20/14 at 10:21:14

I don't think it's a "too much air" issue... as,.. the popping decreases as elevation decreases... (angle of decent being the same from 9k down to 2.5k)...
Thinner air... more popping... "rich pop"...

.. but,... I'll be riding up the Lemmon in a few days... I'll give the enrichment valve a tug, and see...
Huh...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 05/20/14 at 10:24:47

I live at 4500' ride over the grand mesa at 11000'
quick snap throttle closings gets  some pops also high rev engine braking
its all in the wrist

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/20/14 at 10:59:03

Well...I ride around between 500' and 800'.  Any lower and I am in the Ohio River.....and higher and my wheels aren't on the ground.

I suppose that some of that popping noise you guys hear is your ear drums! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:15:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › altitude change performance question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.