Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So tell me I did OK - Sintered brake pads (Read 83 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
So tell me I did OK - Sintered brake pads
05/19/14 at 14:18:20

I ordered new brake pads for the front. Choices were "organic" and sintered... I got the sintered due to the comments saying how great they were.

OK???

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Re: So tell me I did OK - Sintered brake pads
Reply #1 - 05/19/14 at 16:35:04

If they stop you as and when you want - then  you've done alright  Wink

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/19/14 at 17:17:59

Organic pads are the pads most often used on the Savage because the rotor is made of a conventional material.  Sintered pads do perform better but are generally used with rotors made from harder, more expensive materials.  The sintered pads may wear your rotor a little faster than normal.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/20/14 at 07:52:26

Which V-star, the 650 or the 1100? 650 has a "soft" rotor like a Savage, the 1100 uses a tempered rotor like a sport or muscle bike.

You'll be fine, but sintered pads are going to have a lot more effect than you are used to. Ride a bit slower than normal until the pads and rotor are "bedded in" fully. The pads have a good bit more bite than the organic pads tend to.

Whatever you put on the Savage has slowed my riding down, and not just coming to a stop. I've slid through several different lights because they are almost nonexistent over 40mph... almost full lining thickness, they just aren't very good. May have to ventilate the rotor, pretty sure the pads heat glazed already.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 05/20/14 at 11:11:09

WD wrote on 05/20/14 at 07:52:26:
Which V-star, the 650 or the 1100? 650 has a "soft" rotor like a Savage, the 1100 uses a tempered rotor like a sport or muscle bike.

You'll be fine, but sintered pads are going to have a lot more effect than you are used to. Ride a bit slower than normal until the pads and rotor are "bedded in" fully. The pads have a good bit more bite than the organic pads tend to.

Whatever you put on the Savage has slowed my riding down, and not just coming to a stop. I've slid through several different lights because they are almost nonexistent over 40mph... almost full lining thickness, they just aren't very good. May have to ventilate the rotor, pretty sure the pads heat glazed already.

Thanks WD.. yes this is for the 1100.

I did replace the front pads.. I dont recall what.. probably Emgo. The rears are original. I don't think I ever applied/relied on the fronts at 40 mph...I usually slow down using 80% rear and bring the fronts on stronger in the last few yards. I'm just not much of a hot rod.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 16:12:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So tell me I did OK - Sintered brake pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.