Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Help My bike hates me (Read 438 times)
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help My bike hates me
05/14/14 at 20:57:29

So less than 2 weeks ago I bought an 1987 suzuki savage. It had a few issues needed some new bulbs. Needed a clutch cable and needs the brake switch for the front done. Still working on the last one. I was riding it today and it was fine ran out of gas (still getting used to riding) so i switch on the reserve and get gas. So I am riding home tonight and it is stalling at every light. It wants to stall when I let off the throttle. So i pull it into the garage and notice that some gas is leaking out of the bottom drip tube. I walk upstairs and my friend says you smell like gas. and so did the whole garage. No the bike is sitting outside.

Here are some things I know
The idle screw is not to low
The bike has 9500 miles
The carbs were not cleaned this year the bike had stabil over the winter months
Ran fine for the first 100 miles
If you look Into the tank you can see some rust speckles on the wall
I put premium gas both times I filled up in it
My bike backfires like a champ and shoots flames. I read it is common on these bikes.

Before I spend the money to get the carbs clean I want to know if that is really the issue.
Other than that I love this bike it is fun.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Help My bike hates me
Reply #1 - 05/14/14 at 21:02:33

First, you only have ONE carb....
Second...don't use premium...
Third, get a raptor petc0ck...
Do this check
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1
Fourth, pull the cap off the drain tube and let all the gas out of the air filter cavity and dry out your air filter.
Fifth... check your oil level...if it is over full you have gas in your oil... pull the fill cap and smell...if there is gas smell, change your oil and filter.

Message back when the above are done...
Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/14/14 at 21:11:31

Yep, that pretty well covers it. Your petcock failed. Find the list and add your name to it, most of us have either been there or swapped to a Yamaha petcock before the stock "fishing weight to be" could fail...

Premium in a Savage is like 100 year old champagne for a street corner hooker. Unnecessary, Thunderbird is more than adequate...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/14/14 at 21:27:15

Yeah I was just reading through the forum and the Petcock seems like it is a common issue. Now the leaking gas. I turned the petcock to prime to see if their was any air in the like and then turned it back to on when the bike turned on. Was the gas just bypassing the carb and going straight to drain line?

So I am new to bikes. But on this one their is no glass oil level checker and no dipstick or dipstick built into the cap so how do I check the oil level?

Yeah I know it is one carb it has just been a long frustrating day with the bike.

the bike had like a nipple cap on the end with a hole in it so i just squeezed it and let the gas come out. But I will remove it tomorrow morning and let the air filter dry out in the sun.

All of my friends said premium is the only thing you should put in your bike but then again they all have sports bikes haha.

So the guy who had the bike before me decided it was a good idea to clean the oil filter with gas and reuse it. So I am thinking I need to change the oil as soon as possible.

What about the verseys chain adjuster. Do I need to do that soon the bike has almost 10k miles. I have not popped off the cover yet so I dont know if the chain is loose.

Thanks for all of your help

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/14/14 at 21:32:21

All the above and 'you ran outta gas'

so all the crap lounging on the bottom got up and ran down the tube...
into the carb and lodged in the float valve or sucked up into a jet and is still there.

drop the bowl and check for crap.
slip out the float pin and unscrew the valve retaining screw.
pull down the seat and inspect for crap.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/14/14 at 21:35:22

quentin99 wrote on 05/14/14 at 21:27:15:
So I am new to bikes. But on this one their is no glass oil level checker and no dipstick or dipstick built into the cap so how do I check the oil level?

you need an owners manual, it's in the tech section
Quote:
What about the verseys chain adjuster. Do I need to do that soon the bike has almost 10k miles. I have not popped off the cover yet so I dont know if the chain is loose.

you won't know till you pop the cover.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 05/14/14 at 21:49:30

Look up what ever you think is causing problems in the "Tech Section", lots of good info there.

The "site level" is a small 1" window on the right bottom side of your case. Go to this page and check it out.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561

LOL, sounds like you should start reading about your bike here and not listen to your "buds"... I have a Kawasaki ninja and the manufacture says "use regular fuel" and so did the sticker on the tank (I removed that).....
The guys here have been riding bikes 3x as long as your "buds" have been alive, they will help you solve any delema you got!

see you around eh?  Cool

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/14/14 at 21:49:46

Oil site glass is on the right hand side above the muffler heat shield. Have someone sit on the bike and hold it upright. If the window is full, your crankcase is overfilled.

We need to know your location, including elevation, to help with any other well known "this is NOT a new rider grade bike" gotcha's. Keep in the back of your mind at all times, that the Savage is a knock off of 1950s and 60s English racing singles. It is extremely primitive. The front brake was high tech state of the art in 1970, the electrical system in 1973, the ignition in 1976, the carburetor about 1978. Even the drive belt and pulleys are rip offs of late 1970s Kawasaki parts...

That said and out of the way, these cute little toy motorcycles are a lot of fun. I actually like the more primitive design aspects, I even ride my 2003 on dirt roads and in my orchards. Looks like a 250, handles like a 250, rides like a 450 and goes like a hopped up 500 twin.

DO NOT try and keep up with even a Ninjette 250 sportbike, you'll get hurt. Don't let your sportbike friends con you into riding like they can, you're poking along in a Model A from 1928, they are piloting a road course prepped Z06 Vette... Apples to watermelons comparison.

Study the forum. Improve your bike's shortcomings (they all have a few) and enjoy it. We've worked out fixes for all of the common pitfalls, and most of the relatively obscure ones.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #8 - 05/14/14 at 21:52:52

All that stuff is pretty common and not all that difficult to correct.  Here is the table of contents from the tech section.  This is a great resource.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Good luck!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/14/14 at 21:58:10

Yeah CARB's and me don't get along. If I take it apart it is never going back together to many small pieces. I can drop the bowl and see if their is any gunk in it no problem.

Yeah I knew about the glass oil level checker I'm the one that taught my friend about it. I looked on my bike didn't see one but I will check tomorrow.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/14/14 at 22:04:48

NOT mine...

Follow the black line down from the battery. When you get to the exhaust pipe, look a bit to the right on the bottom of the engine. I'd add an arrow, but, computers and I don't get along very well.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #11 - 05/14/14 at 22:19:49

Here you go, with an arrow. Smiley
Oil site glass location. If the bike hasn't been washed lately it could be covered with road grime.

blueSavage_zpse7322fb4.jpg
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #12 - 05/14/14 at 22:21:35

Im sorry I know this comment is of no help whatsoever but the subject title made me wet my pants. Grin
That blue savage is beautiful. Smiley

WD wrote on 05/14/14 at 22:04:48:
NOT mine...

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y490/mphsgal/LISA-HP/Photos/Savage/blueSa...

Follow the black line down from the battery. When you get to the exhaust pipe, look a bit to the right on the bottom of the engine. I'd add an arrow, but, computers and I don't get along very well.

IP Logged
quentin99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/14/14 at 22:25:05

Thanks guys I will check the oil tomorrow. I should have titled it my bike is like a bull it wants to throw me off.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/14/14 at 22:31:46

paulmarshall wrote on 05/14/14 at 22:21:35:
Im sorry I know this comment is of no help whatsoever but the subject title made me wet my pants. Grin
That blue savage is beautiful. Smiley

I wish the builder had dressed the welds. Imagine that frame smoothed and molded like they did in the late 60s through the early 80s..  Tongue

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:40:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help My bike hates me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.