Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rearset bracket alternative to Rycas (Read 269 times)
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rearset bracket alternative to Rycas
05/14/14 at 03:26:46

I've been doing some searching on the Web and have found rearsets that are if not identical to Rycas,  they are an almost perfect match,  along with some other universal ones that look very high quality from $55-120, rather than the $160 Ryca price.   My only question is does anyone know of a bracket that would work besides the $300 one from Ryca?   I'd love to just be able to spend money so easily and just get the ones made for this bike but at that price there is no way and given the fact I've found alternatives to almost everything Ryca make (not saying they aren't a great product,  just in my opinion a bit pricy),  there has to be a bracket alternative to theirs that's not so expensive.   Any suggestions???

IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Re: Rearset bracket alternative to Rycas
Reply #1 - 05/14/14 at 04:46:48

Not saying it's wrong or right but I think Ryca inflates the price of their individual kit parts to make the complete kit price look to be a better value?
Seems like someone here posted recently about a bracket they made but I did a search and was unable to find it.
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/14/14 at 05:14:23

If RYCA made 10,000 of any part.....I am sure the price could be dropped considerably.  Their prices reflect the fact that they are a low volume manufacturer, and everything is pretty much hand made.  Sure they have some things cut out with programmed cutters, and they have some jigs to hold things together while they are welded - but it is all highly labor intensive.  It takes skilled welders and crafstman.....and most likely they are located in California where the labor and overhead rates are very high.

The rear set bracket is very well made, fits like a glove, and there is no alternative other than to make your own.  I have lots of equipment to fabricate things - but I bough their rear set bracket and am glad I did.  It would have taken me a week to design and fabricate one like they make.

I am not a fan of their rear set pegs/pedals however.  I believe the toe portion sticks out too far and makes you ride "duck footed".  No factory sport bike makes you splay your feet out to get over and under the shift pedal.  I bought this set from Dime City.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-...

It is also necessary to fabricate some form of pedal stop for the brake pedal.  The RYCA setup does not have one and the brake pedal can be lifted up out of position, and you can't get a good adjustment on the brake pedal.  You can go to my Bike Build or the one that Gerry did to see how you can make a brake stop.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1358099938
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1385498224

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/14/14 at 07:07:25

The markup on items they dont make isnt too bad. But the stuff they make in house is definitely on the spendy side (but very well made). The rearsets they sell are actually a pretty good deal. Any of the other ones you find will not be as nice, with the adjustability and all, in that price range. If you dont mind the way they fit. They fit me just fine.

When I bought them they were only 135 though I think.   Ive installed other handmade ones, some ebay specials and some woodcraft ones. And i think the RYCA ones were still the best made.  Alot of the ebay ones are steel and thats why they are cheap or completely unadjustable.

I made my own mount.  If your building a custom you either have to make the choice of pay the prices or learn to fab stuff.  I dont think anyone else makes something like that. That being said, its pretty easy to make. Id be tempted to make a few myself and sell them if I had more time.  I have to tear into my bike this week, if I get enough time Ill look into the idea of it.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/15/14 at 15:22:46

Dave wrote on 05/14/14 at 05:14:23:
If RYCA made 10,000 of any part.....I am sure the price could be dropped considerably.  Their prices reflect the fact that they are a low volume manufacturer, and everything is pretty much hand made.  Sure they have some things cut out with programmed cutters, and they have some jigs to hold things together while they are welded - but it is all highly labor intensive.  It takes skilled welders and crafstman.....and most likely they are located in California where the labor and overhead rates are very high.

The rear set bracket is very well made, fits like a glove, and there is no alternative other than to make your own.  I have lots of equipment to fabricate things - but I bough their rear set bracket and am glad I did.  It would have taken me a week to design and fabricate one like they make.

I am not a fan of their rear set pegs/pedals however.  I believe the toe portion sticks out too far and makes you ride "duck footed".  No factory sport bike makes you splay your feet out to get over and under the shift pedal.  I bought this set from Dime City.
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-...

It is also necessary to fabricate some form of pedal stop for the brake pedal.  The RYCA setup does not have one and the brake pedal can be lifted up out of position, and you can't get a good adjustment on the brake pedal.  You can go to my Bike Build or the one that Gerry did to see how you can make a brake stop.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1358099938
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1385498224

Dave

I saw the ones you linked and had also saw the ones I'm linking below on lowbrocustoms,  but DCC is also selling them out seems and I couldn't help but notice what it says about installation on the DCC website.   It says to mount them you just need to fill a 3/8th inch hole anywhere and your good to go.   Would this work on our bike?   Take a look at them and give me some thoughts.   Also,  I've seen a lot of different rearsets mounted simply with a pieces of machined metal that has a few points it attaches to on the bike then you simply hook your rearsets up to this.   Why couldn't this be done with rearsets for our bike?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/15/14 at 16:29:57

The rear set you linked is not adjustable (indexed).  You gotta work with whatever angle they were built with.....and it might not work well on the Savage......don't know.  You want the lever to be nearly perpendicular to the rod for the shifter or brake rod....and that may not be the place where it fits your toe comfortably.  I believe the rear set pegs need to be indexed.

No.....you really just can't drill a hole somewhere.  The frame is narrower than the engine, you can't drill a hole through the frame, you also need the pegs where they are comfortable, and they have to be strong.  I regularly stand up on my pegs briefly when I see a big bump (my seat only has 1/4" of padding), and the mounts have to be capable of supporting the impact load.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/16/14 at 10:58:34

Hopefully in next week or two I am going to be making a rearset bracket for my bike. I will be posting pics in my thread. If you think it would work for you I can make a second.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/16/14 at 11:35:46

scubachef wrote on 05/16/14 at 10:58:34:
Hopefully in next week or two I am going to be making a rearset bracket for my bike. I will be posting pics in my thread. If you think it would work for you I can make a second.  

Yes please keep me updated if like to see how yours turns out.   Any idea on pricing?

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/16/14 at 18:25:42

I will try to document the fabrication when I get there and you can see if it will work. I will need to see what the end result weighs for shipping. I don't know, in raw steel, $50 plus cost to ship?

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/16/14 at 21:00:09

scubachef wrote on 05/16/14 at 18:25:42:
I will try to document the fabrication when I get there and you can see if it will work. I will need to see what the end result weighs for shipping. I don't know, in raw steel, $50 plus cost to ship?

Hey at that price I'll take a set for sure!

« Last Edit: 05/17/14 at 01:49:05 by uigiroux »  
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/31/14 at 17:55:51

I have not forgotten about this, work is getting in the way of the bike. As soon as I have one fabbed up I will post up some pics.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/04/14 at 15:48:40

Just wanted to see if any progress has been made in the rearsets you were making??

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/04/14 at 22:47:01

Apologies, I haven't gotten to the bracket. Some family and work things have come up lately and my time in the garage has been limited. I hope to be working on the bracket soon. Again, sorry for the delay, not trying to string you along or anything. My timeline has just gotten longer recently.

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/04/14 at 23:00:42

No worries I'm  in the same situation lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rearset bracket alternative to Rycas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.