Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UK Tax Man (Read 87 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
UK Tax Man
05/12/14 at 17:41:51

Mr Cameron told Sky News: "We have a choice here. If we don't collect taxes properly and make sure people pay their taxes properly we look at the problems of having to raise tax rates.

Under the planned new measures, tax officials will have an automatic power to take money from a bank account when the holder has failed to act on four formal warnings requiring payment.

Currently officials can only remove money in this way with the permission of a magistrate or judge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/10819885/...

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: UK Tax Man
Reply #1 - 05/12/14 at 21:04:35

& whats their tax rate now? I heard France is around 75%, unless ya make like a million pounds/ yr,, then its like 101%,, surely that cant be true..

All these rich clowns pushing for higher taxes dont pay taxes..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheFid

WE Come Unclean.

U.K.  Morecambe
Reply #2 - 05/12/14 at 21:25:10

Its a thought for the future. Wether it gets through parliament is another thing. They want the tax man to be able to raid a persons bank accout for outstandig tax arrears of over £1000-00. A load of MP's are against it allready. The current tax rate is 20% on earnings up to £40,000. and 40% for any amount after that.

Take it easy.but TAKE IT.
Man does not cease to ride because he gets old,Man gets old because he ceases to RIDE.
  IP Logged
shorty
Serious Thumper

be careful out there
gentlemen

southern NM
Reply #3 - 05/13/14 at 07:08:41

here we already get garnished wages if ANY branch of the govt thinks you owe $..

for example if the DOE thinks you didn't pay enough interest on a student loan they will garnish wages with no need for a judge, soon our bank accounts will be fair game

motorcycles have been my main transport since 1974
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/13/14 at 09:06:50

Funny you mention student loans...
I was listening to a talk show - I thought the woman was kidding but she sounded serious the more she went on.
She wanted to start a class action suit against Fannie Mae for student loans as ... The word isn't coming to me. I think it begins with a "D".

Basically when they know a loan is no good but they issue it to you anyway. She's upset her degree is worthless and she isn't able to pay back the student loan.

I'm interested, FID, how the situation in the UK is. I haven't heard much, regarding foreign economies, since the whole business with Greece... from someone in the area.

--Steve

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #5 - 05/13/14 at 18:24:34

Paraquat wrote on 05/13/14 at 09:06:50:
...She's upset her degree is worthless and she isn't able to pay back the student loan...

Grin Grin Grin That is like burning your own house down to collect the insurance. Everyone knew in advance, including her, that her degree was useless but she did it anyway. Art History, Feminism, Sandskrit and Gender Studies are all totally worthless degrees. Maybe if ancient transgender lesbians encoded the key to limitless clean energy on cave walls in Austria then this would payoff...for a couple months.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/14/14 at 07:47:57

You left out "Sociology",, another "basket weaving" course. So many go to school & learn to regurgitate all the right ideas & just Feel Soo Good about themselves & how much theyre gonna DO to Chaynge thu WHIRLD! & Then the graduate & discover there just arent many people willing to pay them to spread all that knowledge around.. They can go BACK to school & TEACH more people the same useless BS..
Radiology, nursing, welding, learn something thats useful..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 05/14/14 at 22:37:26

Going to school and getting a degree in this day and age means you had the fortitude to pass enough classes to get a piece of paper to put on a wall.  At best it puts you in position where you have a long shot a finding a job in the field that you studied.  More than likely you won’t find a position in the discipline that you studied and will accumulate a significant amount of debt.  In my experience, it hasn’t been since the early 90’s where going to college meant you had a good chance a finding a job.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #8 - 05/16/14 at 06:47:47

Much of college seems to be babysitting paid for by loans that haunt the ever child for most of his life.  Note that all such government help the stupid student with his loan burden is for Undergrad loans only.. the grad programs where for many the real work begins..nope..be born rich or get sucked dry. Grin  Of course, the loan program makes Uncle Sam a lot of money and keeps thousand off the unemployed dole for 2-4 years.(Hiding how dismal the situation is). Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 05/17/14 at 12:35:50

Going to college isn't going to vocational school, unless you are studying a technical subject like engineering.
My undergrad degree is in history and political science.  Useful vocationally in itself?  No.  But I knew I was going to law school, which is vocational education, and I had to have a bachelor's degree first.
But a liberal arts degree does a lot for a person - just awareness of what's around you is important.
My mother's family are Appalachians with little education - some probably don't even know who the president is, and I know they don't know who their Congressmen or Senators are.
Education, especially higher education, equips one for many jobs that aren't technical like engineering is.  My college years taught me to write, to speak with proper grammar, and to appreciate music and other intellectual pursuits.  Without writing skills and proper grammar, I would not have been able to publish 4 books and over 300 magazine articles.
Yet, without a technical degree, I've always made a living.  I'm not knocking technical education, I'm just saying that all education is beneficial.
If you study the "basket weaving" majors, one just has to know going in that in itself, that education won't pay off economically.  But it can be a stepping stone.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:42:42

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › UK Tax Man

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.