Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bryan's Build Thread
Reply #15 - 05/20/14 at 08:24:05

If you paint it with spray paint.....it will hold up for a while, look somewhat funky in the process, and need to be redone frequently.  Sitting outside or riding it in the rain has a big effect on the durability of the paint.  When the paint is subject to heat cycles it gets small cracks in it....and moisture quickly starts to make it fall apart.  Any road crap, oil or bugs thrown onto the paint will permanently stain it.

Like WD says.....if you can afford a bit of time and money getting it done right....do it now.  I bookmarked this place as a promising place to send it.  $ 45 to $ 65 for a muffler, $ 14 a foot for the header.
http://boneheadperformance.com/

Maybe you can find a place to get it done locally and save some time and shipping cost...but beware not all places are equail.  A local powder coating place made some attempt to spray and bake on ceramic coating......with mixed results.  Sometimes it would hold up OK - but most times it did not.  What they found out was that we have too high of a humidity in Northern Kentucky for this process.  In the short distance from the powder gun to the header/muffler a small bit of moisture is picked up from our 80-90% humidity....and this greatly effects the durbility of the ceramic coating.  The humidity of the air has to be very low when spraying ceramic coatings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bryan's Build Thread
Reply #16 - 05/21/14 at 11:36:55

Well I wish I had read this before I bought paint. HAHAHA!  I found a place that will do it local and they have a great rap for quality work and the price is good.  But It's not in this months budget. AND they have to sandbast them again anyway....SO  I thought I'd have a little fun and try my hand at the spray job. Seeing as how I'm gettin em redone anyway.

Here's my humble spray booth with my parts ready to go.

First coat:

And finished (3 coats later):

And installed:

Should have my new clamp in the next couple days. Also picked up this little heat shield for 30 bucks from Samson Exaust

It wont fit with the big muffler clamp but I'll get some pics with the new clamp on it next week.

Went through the recommended curing process. 10m idle and cool down, followed by 20 and then a 30m ride and complete cool down.

Hoping it lasts at least a month.

Got this in via fedEx today:

So I'll be starting on that tonight. Shes almost ready to go!!  Looking for a windshield though I think...freeway speeds are kinda hard I've noticed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:09:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bryan's Build Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.