Send Topic Print
Bryan's Build Thread (Read 356 times)
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bryan's Build Thread
05/09/14 at 12:28:22

Not too sure where this is going, but I wanted to document things before I got too far into this.

Picked up this girl off a buddy for 500 bucks.

2001 LS650 - 10,300 miles

Of course it needed a new battery....so in THAT went...fresh tank of gas, and a little STP treatment Smiley and off to the parking lot it went.

Upon initial inspection, it needed a carb cleaning....BAD...

And...

The baffles were grossly cut out of the exhaust:

So apart she went.

Started with cleaning the carb....

And Discovered this:

That's a 230 main jet!  Not too sure where that came from...but it wasn't from Suzuki....So time for jets and while I'm at it....exhaust too.  I found from my research, that with a Dyna muffler and stock airbox, I'd be looking at somewhere near a 155 main and 52 pilot.  I'm considering tubbing out the airbox and doing something similar to this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1295745373

(I really fell in love with that mod)

So along with the pipe I ordered 155.5/52.5 jets from Jets R Us.

Now I'm just waiting on fedex!

And you're all caught up.   Tongue

« Last Edit: 05/09/14 at 15:38:16 by BryanA »  
  IP Logged
sailorcolin

Building a street
tracker!

Rock Hill, SC
Re: Bryan's Build Thread
Reply #1 - 05/09/14 at 13:03:26

looking forward to seeing the build! How many miles?

99 Savage Street Tracker build.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/09/14 at 13:14:20

Well....it is a bit late for this....but I would have suggested you get a main jet down to a 150.....and pilot down to a 50 while you were ordering them.  I think a lot of folks are jetting the bike too rich, and a #155 is usually too rich.

With a stock air box and Dyna Muffler....a #150 main and #50 Pilot and 2 washers on the needle my bike ran the best.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/09/14 at 15:37:16

Dave wrote on 05/09/14 at 13:14:20:
Well....it is a bit late for this....but I would have suggested you get a main jet down to a 150.....and pilot down to a 50 while you were ordering them.  I think a lot of folks are jetting the bike too rich, and a #155 is usually too rich.

With a stock air box and Dyna Muffler....a #150 main and #50 Pilot and 2 washers on the needle my bike ran the best.  

Realistically, I should have gotten them both, since I plan on doing the intake as well. May have to do it sooner than I thought. Tongue

Exhaust came in!  Not bad for 30 bucks shipped on ebay!

Hopefully Jets should be here tomorrow!

But I also noticed this today.....

That would be oil coming from the head gasket....

Oh, and It's got 10,300 miles on it. (For Sailor)

« Last Edit: 05/09/14 at 22:11:24 by BryanA »  
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/09/14 at 19:30:10

Good choice on the Dyna muffler, experiment a little an intermediate pipe makes it sound real nice  Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/10/14 at 04:02:43

Nope.....not head gasket.  It is most likely the rubber head plug.  We have never seen a Savage head gasket fail.....yet.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/10/14 at 08:32:14

Thats how to get into a bike,, 500 bucks & some sweat equity & youll be good to go.. YOu shouldnt be in it more than 600 when youre out & riding, unless the tires are old or worn out,,
Be gentle with that exhaust pipe,, its only held by 2 skinny little bolts going into that aluminum head,,If pulling the old or installing the new requires much grunt, youd better pull the header off the motor.,

YOure at 10k miles,, YOull need to have a look at the cam chain in a few thousand,
& Dont pull the plug w/o blowing the crap out from around it,

Im always sayin that, I did it once & spent a coupla hours with different things pokin in there with toilet bowl wax on it, dabbing out bits of crunchy stuff that fell in,, urinated me right off, that did..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/10/14 at 20:26:41

Dave wrote on 05/10/14 at 04:02:43:
Nope.....not head gasket.  It is most likely the rubber head plug.  We have never seen a Savage head gasket fail.....yet.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

<3 U Dave! You made my night! I was just sitting here thinking I'm gonna hate replacing that thing, Going to look further into this fix.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/14 at 08:32:14:
Thats how to get into a bike,, 500 bucks & some sweat equity & youll be good to go.. YOu shouldnt be in it more than 600 when youre out & riding, unless the tires are old or worn out,,
Be gentle with that exhaust pipe,, its only held by 2 skinny little bolts going into that aluminum head,,If pulling the old or installing the new requires much grunt, youd better pull the header off the motor.,

YOure at 10k miles,, YOull need to have a look at the cam chain in a few thousand,
& Dont pull the plug w/o blowing the crap out from around it,

Im always sayin that, I did it once & spent a coupla hours with different things pokin in there with toilet bowl wax on it, dabbing out bits of crunchy stuff that fell in,, urinated me right off, that did..

Thanks for the heads up. Exaust header has to come off anywayz...It's missing a bolt! HAHA! Cant complain for 500 bucks though!  Is the chain something I can look at with the head cover off?

« Last Edit: 05/11/14 at 20:25:11 by BryanA »  
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #8 - 05/10/14 at 20:51:46

BryanA wrote on 05/10/14 at 20:26:41:
Is the chain something I can look at with the head cover off?

You'll want to check the cam chain tensioner. Chances are the chain itself is OK at that mileage unless it was seriously abused. Check out the multiple threads on the tensioner. You need to pull the clutch side cover to see that.
At 10K, definitely want to do that before you do any serious riding. Mine had about 9K on it at the tensioner was about to fall out and it needed the plug cap fixed (mine was leaking oil exactly like that).

IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/12/14 at 19:42:09

Thanks for the tensioner tip! Added to the list.

Got the carb rejetted and new pipe, temporarily, installed.  (see pic)

Ran like a CHAMP on the stock airbox.  Next up it to clean up the fitting and get it ready to paint.  I'm going to paint it and leave the accents chrome.  Anyone have a good lead on a new heat shield for the area over the joint?  I might go with the stock one but it looks a little odd with the HD pipe.

Next up...Valves, plug(to fix that darn oil leak) and chain tensioner (Thanks S-P)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/12/14 at 21:09:17

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/13/14 at 23:48:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/12/14 at 21:09:17:

BEAUTIFUL! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you!

I also discovered the petcock started acting up (still the stock one). It started stumbling BAD, till I flipped it to PRI...looks like I'll be replacing that too.

Grin

IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/19/14 at 14:21:32

Lots of work in my future. Ordered, a oil plug, had the exaust sand-blasted(I have a friend), new petcock, AND checked the chain tensioner.

So.  I have a buddy that cleans and paints industral tanks and vessles. Had him prep my exhaust for VHT Paint Next week

Where's all the shiny go!!  It's almost sad huh!

Pulled the clutch cover off and checked the cam chain:

Not bad.  For those of you mechanicly challenged .68 inches displacement.  So....I'm not parking it, but I already got in touch with Versy about a new tensioner.

Next up, changing out that oil seal in the head and paint on the exhaust!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 05/19/14 at 21:53:06

Yer doing it right! I used my stock exhaust guard on my Dyna pipe and it does look a little big, but I figger no one really "sees" it at 60mph anyway...  Grin  An old Greek saying, "Many will see, but few will notice..." Wink

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/20/14 at 07:57:31

VHT high heat paint is garbage, has been since the 90s. Spend the extra money for ceramic coating. The paint will burn off of the first few inches of header pipe within a week or two.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:15:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bryan's Build Thread

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.