Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Initial Mods to S40 (Read 721 times)
PuffsPlus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Initial Mods to S40
Reply #30 - 06/18/14 at 17:41:32

WD,  could you pm me and tell me how you installed the bags on your stock Savage that is pictured in this thread.  I have the same set and have no idea how to get them to look as tight and professional as yours.  Shocked

Boldly going forward cause I can't find reverse!
  IP Logged
Kay.mac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 06/25/14 at 10:03:26

Hi! I am also struggling with my new Viking bags. I'm brand new to bikes, and also brand new to mechanics. (Understanding the human body? No problem. Who knew machines were more complicated.) I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to get my saddle bags on. They have shock cutouts, and were supposedly designed for a S40. (Although I'm pretty sure Viking bags has never seen a s40 before). I have a '14, with a sissy bar and OEM saddle bag supports. Ultimately I had to soft mount the bags, and have the shock cutout around the saddle bag support. I relocated the tail lights using the Viking 'universal' turn signal relocation kit and some cheap turn signals I got off eBay, which look fairly similar to the stock set. I'm not crazy about them, so will probably look for nicer ones soon.
Unfortunately, with this set up the saddle bags are pushing back on the turn signals pretty hard. I'm worried they might get broken off if I hit a bump, or just get turned so they're facing up towards the sky rather than straight back. Also, I feel like the bags aren't super secure as they are only held by the soft yoke on top, and the slightly flimsy strap on the borrow which I've tied to the saddle bag support.
So: can you please share with the group at large how you got the bags attached to the saddle bag supports so nicely? Also, is anyone else having the problem of saddle bags pushing back against the turn signals? Is this actually a problem or is it ok?

Thanks so much guys! This forum has been such a blessing!!

Kate

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #32 - 08/11/14 at 18:04:54

The motorcycle mechanic that soft mounted my bags with the OEM supports punched little holes in the bags on both sides of the support rods in multiple locations and used zip ties from the inside to wrap around the support rods and get a tight fit.

My bags are not hitting the relocated lights.  If you are having that problem, then you might consider getting the kind of lights that attach to the rear of your saddlebags, instead of the license plate mount.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Initial Mods to S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.