oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Initial Mods to S40
Reply #15 - 06/07/14 at 07:57:29

Quote:
I got the bag support and went and bought the alan key bolts, but the longest I could find was 45mm, whereas the longest hex head bolt included in the kit is 50mm.  I hope it works with the 45mm long bolt.

I think they are going to be too short. The bolts that are in there now are 45mm.

Another option, since the two long(front) bolts go all the way through the chrome fender rails and are retained by an acorn nut on the outside, is to simply grind most of the head off the long bolts that came with the brackets, to reduce their height. Leave just enough to grab with a pair of needle nose pliers so your guy can tighten the nut. That's actually what I did on my bike. Put a little blue loctite on the threads.

The short(rear)bolts have to be the right length. They thread into the rails.  

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 06/07/14 at 18:36:43

Is this a common problem with Viking bags? I like the look of several of their bags and the process are good, but if the taillight remount kit doesn't work, it may not be a good way to go. Undecided

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #17 - 06/08/14 at 07:50:50

The tail light relocation kit I used is not the one from Viking bags.  So I don't know that that's an issue.  I got a nice chrome tail light relocation kit that chrome world said is for the s40, but it was not compatible with the stock tail lights.

The main problem with the Viking bags is that you can't hard mount them to the S40, but now that I understand why, I doubt that you can hard mount any saddlebags to the S40.  It has the bolts on the inside of the fender instead of the outside, so there is nothing to hard mount to unless you start drilling holes in stuff.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
Brunkster
YaBB Newbies

Ft Myers, FL
Reply #18 - 06/08/14 at 19:07:52

ihasabike wrote on 05/26/14 at 18:25:32:
I bought electrical tape to cover the washers, but my husband says they look good as is.  What do you think?

Great color combination - I have the same on my 2013 and get comments on it all the time.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #19 - 06/15/14 at 20:27:54

Finally got my S40 back from the dealer.

Mods are:

Viking Saddlebags;
Kuryakyn Turn Signal Relocation Kit.
National Cycles Custom Windshield;
12 Volt Outlet;
Gran Tourismo Grips; and
#9 Lead Birdshot Fill of Handlebars.

More photos will follow.

I have some questions.  The end cap on the handlebars came off and I need to reattach it.  What's the best adhesive for that?

I'd like to raise the windshield, since it is adjustable in height.  What is the effect of increasing the opening between the headlight and the windshield cutout?  IS it just more wind to the body or something else?

S40_Mods.jpg

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #20 - 06/15/14 at 20:29:52

Saddlebag Mounts

S40_SB_Mounts.jpg

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #21 - 06/15/14 at 20:30:37

Turn Signal Relocation

S40_tailights.jpg

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #22 - 06/15/14 at 20:31:26

Windshield mount

S40_ShieldMount.jpg

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #23 - 06/15/14 at 20:32:10

Windshield postion

S40_ShieldFront.jpg

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #24 - 06/15/14 at 20:33:00

Gran Tourismo Grips

S40_GTgrips.jpg

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #25 - 06/15/14 at 20:33:46

12 volt outlet

S40_12volt.jpg

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 06/15/14 at 22:56:18

You'll get some road noise from the gap.

They cut the end off the grips to reinstall the chromed plastic one shot wonder bar end covers? That's different... Super glue should affix them alright. Scuff up the inside of the bar with an emery board to give the glue a fighting chance at some mechanical adhesion.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 06/16/14 at 01:17:25

Hey, Hasbike,,you ever run to Shreveport, gimme a holler first,, maybe we could all meet up for coffee in Longview,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #28 - 06/16/14 at 04:56:09

WD wrote on 06/15/14 at 22:56:18:
You'll get some road noise from the gap.

They cut the end off the grips to reinstall the chromed plastic one shot wonder bar end covers? That's different... Super glue should affix them alright. Scuff up the inside of the bar with an emery board to give the glue a fighting chance at some mechanical adhesion.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So just road noise?  I was kind of worried about it affecting handling.  One thing I noticed after installing the windshield is when I road at high speed into a strong wind, the bike started fishtailing a little bit, as if the wind were pushing the shield back and forth and turning the handlebars slightly in an oscillating manner.

I had no idea they were going to do that to the grips.  Thanks for the tip on the superglue.  I want to affix a throttle boss to the end of the throttle grip, so I hope it holds.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to mount my iPhone docking station.  The handlebar seems overly full.

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #29 - 06/18/14 at 17:03:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/16/14 at 01:17:25:
Hey, Hasbike,,you ever run to Shreveport, gimme a holler first,, maybe we could all meet up for coffee in Longview,,

We went to Shreveport a couple of times in the past.  Anything's possible. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:20:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Initial Mods to S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.