Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head bolt video (Read 79 times)
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Head bolt video
05/06/14 at 08:34:32

I'm not a mechanic, but if any of you tackle the famous head bolt leak, can you please make a video of it?

I paid a lot of money last year for this goofy Suzuki shop to take care of an oil leak and it's doing it again. In fact, unless I'm going crazy, I can hear a 'spirrrrt' when it's running.

Not a lot of oil, just enough to be annoying. The symptoms seem to be just like I've read in many post.

Thanks for all the help you guys have provided - all I can say, with all it's evils, I wouldnt be able to so the things I do with the MC if not for the internet and this forum.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Head bolt video
Reply #1 - 05/06/14 at 08:43:24

How are you set up? Got a place to work on it? Tools? A maintenance manual?
If not, tools can be had for a lot less $ today than 30 years ago. Harbor Freight end wrenches will do the job, a beam type 3/8ths torque wrench from Sears is about $30.00. I dont think Id do a HF torque Wrench, someone else may have a higher opinion of their tools. A place can be faked up with PVC & a coupla tarps, but Im not a big fan of opening engines up "out in the elements", tho, I Have installed stuff under the valve cover of an engine out in a field in West Texas,, Hadda be done,, oilfield stuff doesnt wait for Just the Right Time"..
Keeping bolts in order is a good idea, a piece of cardboard with the outline of the part the bolts are coming out of & an X cut in it at the right places, poke the bolts in as they come out,,A maintenance manual is a really handy thing. Online is one source, bought in hard copy is pricey,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #2 - 05/11/14 at 14:31:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/06/14 at 08:43:24:
How are you set up? Got a place to work on it? Tools? A maintenance manual?
If not, tools can be had for a lot less $ today than 30 years ago. Harbor Freight end wrenches will do the job, a beam type 3/8ths torque wrench from Sears is about $30.00. I dont think Id do a HF torque Wrench, someone else may have a higher opinion of their tools. A place can be faked up with PVC & a coupla tarps, but Im not a big fan of opening engines up "out in the elements", tho, I Have installed stuff under the valve cover of an engine out in a field in West Texas,, Hadda be done,, oilfield stuff doesnt wait for Just the Right Time"..
Keeping bolts in order is a good idea, a piece of cardboard with the outline of the part the bolts are coming out of & an X cut in it at the right places, poke the bolts in as they come out,,A maintenance manual is a really handy thing. Online is one source, bought in hard copy is pricey,

Thanks for all the input..

I have a garage and plenty of hand tools including a torque wrench.
I eve  have a MC lift too.
I have a hard copy manual too.

I just don't quite understand all the terms and what I'm looking at in the manual. A video would go a long way.

(BTW - I have a some harbor freight tools, some are really good, so are Ok for occasional use) Cheesy

I guess I'm going to have to give a try and post anything where I get stuck. Maybe I'll have to document it with my camera.

I live near Littleton Co., I wish we had a sav club here where we could have a wrench weekend!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/11/14 at 16:20:04

Have you looked in the table of contents or Index as it commonly gets referred to?

Seems like I wrote one of those, called it http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122 as I recall.

You should really look in the table of contents  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927   before asking for stuff to be written that is already jest sitting there a waiting for you.

Asking for a video of the days long process is sorta silly anyway since the process of cleaning spark plug holes and then disassembly and such takes hours & hours  and re-assembly and set up of RTV gasket materials takes over night at least.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
JRLeathercraft

I'm not a biker, I
just own one.

Reply #4 - 05/11/14 at 18:29:19

I did do a search and looked around but I suppose I missed the info - thanks for the links.

You could always edit a video to the major parts. It's easy to do nowadays on a PC so you don't have to have hours waiting for something overnight.

I'm not trying to be silly, I'm just looking for some help. I know a lot of you are very savvy at mechanics, I'm not.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/11/14 at 20:22:16

Digger is a Co. guy.. If he shows up youll be in good shape..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head bolt video

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.