Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
swapping one clutch for another, help me.... (Read 329 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Re: swapping one clutch for another, help me....
Reply #15 - 05/07/14 at 08:00:58

WD wrote on 05/07/14 at 07:30:20:
2 or 3 layers of nylon stocking, rubber band them to the carburetor mouth. Will stop anything chunky (like bugs) from getting sucked into the carb.

CV carbs and cone filters are usually a nightmare to get dialed in. The vacuum slide needs a fairly smooth flow of air, and the stock airbox and intake piping give it a chance to become linear instead of turbulent. I was aircleaner shopping for my 98 yesterday, had to keep telling myself that it doesn't have an Amal or Mikuni VM36/VM38 yet and to save my money until it does.

Cone filters, velocity stacks and Amal style aircleaners most assuredly look 1000x better than the big black rubber primary intake tract. Unfortunately, they rob power with our carburetor style, and it can definitely mimic the symptoms of a slipping clutch.

Read this set of several pages on Do The Ton. Why pods/cones and CV carburetors do not play well together... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45863.0

This is good news because I am really hoping I don't have to chuck with my clutch. For now I used fiberglass window screen folded a few times and used the metal o clamp. I will test drive it tonight to make sure that's the issue and if so I have already cut the end of the stock boot off and extended the pod so it won't block the ports like it was. Otherwise I will go to step 2 and swap the oil and go from there. But something tells me tonight I'm going to be throttle happy Grin

OK, update I adjusted the clutch 100% correct and removed the cone and everything was running perfectly, no more slipping until I got to 60 - 65 mph and first bogging and  then quickly stalling once back to 55 and under smooth sailing back to between 60 - maybe 70 and boom stalling almost like there's a governer there  :'(

« Last Edit: 05/07/14 at 16:07:53 by wickedbiker »  
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 05/07/14 at 20:57:58

Carburetor, see your other thread.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #17 - 06/01/14 at 09:15:37

OK so everything is adjusted and done correctly I have a cone filter, crankcase filter, 55and 155 jets. The bike takes of and shifts to the point where its almost scary its so bad ass.
The problem is I still have slipping....
I noticed though that it is only in 5th gear, I changed over to rotella T and happily so. But still when I get to 5th gear and pull the throttle back I get slipping where its rrevving but no immediate pick up more like slipping into a slow type of pickup.

Any ideas?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/01/14 at 11:30:37

Youve got no idea what oil Was in it, or how long.. YOure on the right track, slippage is less, correct?

You may need to change oil again ( dont sweat the filter) AND, there may be something you can put in the oil to help flush the crap out,, But remember,, theres NOT much room between those plates & it may just take a while to let the oil get in there & move the crappy stuff out..
I would recommend avoiding letting it slip, You feel it slip, back off, dont just wait on it to catch.;
Someone may come along & totally toss my advice in the junk pile,, so, wait.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #19 - 06/01/14 at 12:42:23

I appreciate all the help I can get on this and you may be right I havent had a great deal of ride time with the new oil. I had Valvoline motorcycle oil for wet clutches in it previously. and I can ride without it slipping in 5th as long as I dont gun it as you said.

I really hope I can find a solution or that it goes away sooner or later. It really is the only thing left thats in the way of having a really nice ride.
I can't understand why it really only seems to happen in 5th gear I hope there isnt some kind of a gear issue like missing teeth or something. Undecided

I did loosen up the clutch cable and adjusted so that it was right between having slack and not having any. then I lightly pushed up on the cable end lever and it was basically sitting on the bottom line.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 06/01/14 at 12:59:32

wickedbiker wrote on 06/01/14 at 12:42:23:
I did loosen up the clutch cable and adjusted so that it was right between having slack and not having any.

You should have slack, at least an 1/8" and check with bars lock to lock.
Quote:
then I lightly pushed up on the cable end lever and it was basically sitting on the bottom line.

Maybe's that's too tight.  There's a point where there's no clearance between the case and rod.  Check the rod length sticking out of the center, 13mm is to long, 12.5 is ok, 12 is on the border of being too short.
Also, push come to shove you can shim the springs or get HD springs.

WWW   IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #21 - 06/02/14 at 06:18:37

So you guys think its the clutch then, even though it is only happening in 5th gear?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 06/02/14 at 06:41:10

It is most likely to happen in fifth gear, as the tall gearing places the most load on the engine/transmission.  It is also more easily noticed in the high gears and may be slipping in the others as well.

This is what the clutch marks look like on a bike with 2,700 miles on it....when the cable is removed (loose) and I hold up with my finger.  If your arm is down at the the lower mark it could need a shorter clutch rod than you have now.  You can take the existing rod out and grind a bit off of  it.  As Verslagen posted....you should have 12.5mm of the rod sticking out from the clutch basket.

Before you tear things apart however......ride it carefully for a bit and avoid using too much throttle...and see if the clutch work better once the Rotella gets some miles on it.

IMG_1385.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #23 - 06/10/14 at 05:22:49

Thank you, sounds good that's what I'll do. If its the rod I have one in another engine I could grind down a bit.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:38:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › swapping one clutch for another, help me....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.