Send Topic Print
Rough Running (Read 54 times)
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rough Running
05/03/14 at 02:58:23

Just took my Savage out for its first run in, probably, 3 years. I was not expecting sparkling performance but the engine seems to be quite lumpy. Full throttle type acceleration seems to be fine but if I open up the throttle for moderate acceleration the engine seems to be quite ... well. lumpy and rough... almost echoing the thump thump of the single cyclinder. Is this right? I ask as I have never really run a single cylinder before.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rough Running
Reply #1 - 05/03/14 at 04:28:50

Was fuel in the gas tank for all of those 3 years?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/03/14 at 04:35:12

Run out two tanks of gasoline before you start getting all judgmental -- the bike has been in storage for 3 years after all.

First question -- are you running the stock vacuum actuated petcock?

IF so do this      http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1   and LEAVE IT THAT WAY for at least one full tank of gasoline.

Many times the stock vac petcock can cause the bikes to run like shite all by itself (it is the number 1 cause of odd running on the Savage).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/03/14 at 07:30:15

bmwnunkie wrote on 05/03/14 at 02:58:23:
... if I open up the throttle for moderate acceleration the engine seems to be quite ... well. lumpy and rough... almost echoing the thump thump of the single cyclinder. Is this right? I ask as I have never really run a single cylinder before.

You may be running in too high a gear... lugging the engine...
Try downshifting...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/03/14 at 08:05:31

All it really takes to make one rough running is a tank of bad fuel.

Happened to me yesterday. Had to hit reserve on the interstate, and hunt for a gas station at the next exit. The one I found apparently has really dirty or really waterlogged gas. Top speed coming home late last night was 63mph. No power, lots of shaking, popping, bucking... I'll just drain the rest of the tank into the driveway (kill a few zillion weeds) and refuel with fresh farm gas. Alcohol free. Add a splash of SeaFoam, Berryman B12 or ATF and ride it until the jets clear themselves out again.  

Simple engine, simple carburetor, usually simple fixes.

Stumbling and popping is one of a very few things: Dirty gas. Water logged gas. Gummed/plugged jets. Sticky slide. Pinhole in the slide diaphragm. Bad petcock (mine runs a Raptor already). Holed vacuum line if running the stock petcock.

My money is on, in order: too high a gear for the speed you are riding, dirty jets, petcock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 05/03/14 at 08:11:17

This engine likes RPMs (being a single). I'm not talking sport bike 12,000+, but more RPMs than you might be used to.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
bmwnunkie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/03/14 at 09:16:27

Thanks for all the input.

The gas is new and clean. I just ran it again and the motor just stopped and will not start again ( turns over but wont fire ).

I suppose I will have to take the carb off and clean or try the tapping on the side of the carb bowl thing first.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/03/14 at 10:58:43

Start by draining the bowl,, see what comes out. Then, pull the hose from tank to carb & put it on prime. See how fast & what comes out. The screen on the petcock may be plugged up.

Tappin th carb is cool when the float is stuck & gas is running out the vents/ into the oil,,BUT,, cant hurt anything!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:24:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rough Running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.