Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Retrofitting original airbox...what a pain :-) (Read 88 times)
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Retrofitting original airbox...what a pain :-)
04/29/14 at 00:28:58

Even with the pics on the Handyman CD, I had a hard time fitting the original airbox back into the bike yesterday. Suzuki engineers did a thorough job with the very close fit in the frame, and with the design of what part of the cable harness needs to go where. Put one cable/connector in the wrong place, and the the airbox (and the battery box!) will never fit Smiley Also, you wonīt believe the amount of homebrew side panel fasteners and other ad hoc stuff I found. Homemade angled brackets, strange bolts..and I also found a miniature circuit breaker for the ignition hidden behind the LHS panel.

Well, airbox in place, BSM exhaust/muffler in place, carb rejetted. One more hour of work on the bike, and then itīs time for a road test, and mixture adjusting time. Once everything works OK, Iīll tie the cables down properly to the frame and leave the bike alone. Cool

BSM? German slip-on stuff. The muffler is louder, it kinda barks. Very much "in your face" sound without being a total nuisance to the neighbors. FYI.

Edit: one more thing: the local shop was out of larger idle jets. The shopkeeper has been in the 2- and 4-stroke tune-up/blueprinting/dragracing business for 30+ years, and he noted - in passing -  that it is very rare that the idle jet needs to be changed, especially with stock air filters. He means it just upsets the tuning equation. The mixture screw should do the job, he says.  So I will go for the stock 47.5 and the 152.5 main and do some thorough testing.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Retrofitting original airbox...what a pain :-)
Reply #1 - 04/29/14 at 04:09:14

Hmm, yea, kinda makes you wonder why Suzuki changed from a 47.5 to a 52.5 pilot jet then doesn't it ?
Yep.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #2 - 04/29/14 at 06:51:34

Yep. I know, I know, and Iīve been reading every single thread about it. Now, I donīt mean to disrespect the opinion and knowledge of lots of you guys, I just want to try it out before I go and split the carb again and install a larger idle jet. Itīs the researcher in me who wants to do some empiric testing.

And..after all, the guy has been into performance bikes professionally (has a Dyno bench etc etc) for almost 4 decades, he canīt be just talking BS. Smiley

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #3 - 04/29/14 at 11:41:02

Took the bike for a serious spin today. 20C, blazing sunset, beautiful conditions. Found the idle screw works pretty good with the 47,5 stock jet. Itīs just a matter of finding the correct balance between idle mixture and idle rev adjuster. No hickups, no stalling, no weakness at redlights. Just all the way good and strong. With a 47.5 jet.

No backfires, except a few tiny ones after  prolonged engine braking (zero throttle, engine doing the braking). Nothing on shutdown, nothing on full-throttle shifting or down-shifting. Tomorrow, Iīm going to do the spark plug color tests. So far so good.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 04/29/14 at 18:21:38

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:27:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Retrofitting original airbox...what a pain :-)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.