Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LS650 vs SV650 starter? (Read 247 times)
taknbytuf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LS650 vs SV650 starter?
04/27/14 at 16:09:20

Ok, total honesty girl here with inherited first bike. It was step dads "baby" and left in storage when he got sick. I inherited and have been trying to get it back on the road with me as a brand new rider. Scared yet? LOL So, finally got carbs cleaned up and it was running pretty good. Got my permit and on first ride stalled and made horrible noise trying to restart. Rolled home and found the starter motor was missing teeth. Drained oil and found it had about a gallon of gas in it sigh.... pulled strator side cover cleaned everything out found the missing teeth from starter and it's back together. Not sure if I have a bigger problem from running it with a gallon of gas in the oil.. so I've been trying to find a low cost starter for 2 months now to see if it turns over and is ok or not. I've been emailing junkyards all over the country and found a guy who has a 2001 SV650 starter. I've searched all over trying to find out exactly what years are interchangeable and keep finding dif answers and now am wondering if the sv would work. Can any one help clarify? I have a 86 Savage LS.  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: LS650 vs SV650 starter?
Reply #1 - 04/27/14 at 16:42:11

just a cursory look, no they're not compatible.

any year ls650 will fit.

and here's why you lost teeth...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

WWW   IP Logged
taknbytuf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/29/14 at 08:17:33

Thank you!! Ok back to hunting for parts. But at least a clue what to actually buy and an added extra project. Lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/29/14 at 08:38:18

Id be all over that gas/oil thing,,
Get a Raptor petcock, & remember to shut the gas off.
Or, did ya find gunk in the carb that kept the gas IN valve from shutting? ( OHH, Snap! You know what? The I is right next to the U on the K/B,, Shutting almost came out wrong)
Did ya replace the needle that the floats operate?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/29/14 at 08:39:55

Quote:
so I've been trying to find a low cost starter for 2 months now to see if it turns over and is ok or not.

You can probably bumpstart the bike before you actually find/buy a starter. That way you can figure out if it runs ok before you spend the money for the starter. Take a look at this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1337452721

I'm assuming your busted starter is not installed. Tape up the end of the cable that attatches to the terminal on the starter so it can't touch anything and cause a short.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #5 - 04/29/14 at 15:30:24

well, she might find it a little hard to bump start (unless it's Lancer's daughter) Shocked

I can (or could) do it, but not easily and not always.  It helps to be on a hill!

The trick seems to be, start in N, instead of just "clutch in", put it in 2nd, not 1st, and get your weight on the seat - or else the wheel will just skid

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/29/14 at 21:24:34

Im 5'6", mmmm,, Ohh, bout 150 pounds,, I know all about bump startin stuff,, but I never, ever, no not even ONCE managed to run hard enough & do all the doin stuff before poppin the clutch either meant a skid ( OHH such a short mark that left),, or Maybe getting over compression One lousy time. For those of you who can, I Salute YOU!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/29/14 at 21:27:46

thank you minion   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/30/14 at 03:53:23

Yep.....I'm with JOG.  I am 5'-8", 156 pounds......I run and work out daily.   Wife and I stopped for gas, battery died, flat blacktop parking lot on the river bottom with no hill in sight.  No amount of pushing, hopping, bouncing on the seat could ever get the thing started.  In the low gears the back tire just slid, in higher gears I could get a single "pop" - but could not pull the clutch in fast enough to keep it running.  I would do a hop and plant my butt firmly on the seat as I let the clutch out to try and get the tire not to slide....but "No Joy"!

Luckily we got a car to jump start use with battery cables....which won't work if your starter is bad.

I am sure that it is possible to push start a Savage.......us "bite sized" little fellars just can't do it.  Sad

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/30/14 at 08:12:45

until you learn "the trick" even my big butt won't keep it from skidding to a stop even from superslab speed.

if you got battery, use the decomp... hit the start button and let out the clutch as soon as you hear the starter.  letting out the clutch will deactivate the starter and it's got a 1 way clutch to prevent overspeed.  Use any gear appropriate for the speed.

If you don't got battery, you're gonna have to set it up manually.
Stick it in gear, taller the better, bump it forward to rotate the engine.
Do this till you can operate the decomp lever by hand.  This indicates that the exhaust valves are open and you're no where near the compression stroke.  Now run her up to speed and jam it in gear.

The 1 way starter clutch does not like the engine going backward so always bump the engine going forward.  So even if you have a starter torque limiter clutch, you should go forward.  But of course if you like hillbilly teeth on your starter gear go ahead.

gear selection... I use 1st when I'm push starting cause that's as fast as I get it going.  idle is 1000 rpm at about 9 mph.  My tach reads 300 when starting, so at least 3 mph.  If you use the starter button to activate the decomp and your battery is weak, you can chug along at low speed until the battery recovers to give proper spark.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/30/14 at 08:20:41

WHAAT!?!? We dont have a "Clapping" emoticon?

I Never did "Set it up",, Nor did I ever manage to hit the button before it was stopped.. OHH well,, No problem now,, I sold mine!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/30/14 at 11:21:36

I have tried on a number of occasions to bump start this bike and have never been able to get to fire up.  I don't even consider it an option any more; not worth the effort.

Newbie Girl ... almost forgot; I might have a starter laying around here; will go scrounging later this afternoon and see what turns up.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #12 - 04/30/14 at 15:41:30

Taknbytuf, where are you located? Somebody on here may be close enough that they could swing by and let you try to get started with their own starter. Swapping a starter out is only a couple minutes, and to the best of my knowledge there is no risk to the donor starter.

IP Logged
taknbytuf
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/02/14 at 18:59:49

I'm about an hour west of st louis. Just found an denso starter off an 06 ls650 for 30 so fingers crossed it will start up and run... as far as bumping I'm 5'3 and 125 lmao lets just say bumping didnt go well haha then only issue will be why it had so much fuel in the oil. I already swapped to raptor petcock...but when guy cleaned up carb he didnt use the new float needle. He says the petcocks bad. I say it should have had new float put on...so since those seem to be the 2 primary causes for gas leak we'll see who wins the battle. I read somewhere on here about someone blowing a piston for overfilling...so thats my biggest fear since was riding it when it died.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 05/02/14 at 19:52:58

If no fuel flows when a raptor petcock is turned to off, and flows when it is turned to on, or reserve, there is nothing wrong with the petcock.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:20:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LS650 vs SV650 starter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.