Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The notorious oil leak, there must be an easy fix (Read 228 times)
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
The notorious oil leak, there must be an easy fix
04/24/14 at 10:07:17

I have the notorious oil leak from the left side where they have that cheap plug so you can get to the bolt. There has to be a way to just plug or cork that hole. Has anyone had success fixing this leak without having to go to the pain in the ass of opening up the engine.
I have been doing more work on this bike than riding it and this is the only issue left although it just leaves a little oil on the side of the engine. So to me if I can't fix it by corking it somehow than I'm leaving it to leak at least until I feel like doing another darn thing to this friggin project.

Thanks guys

« Last Edit: 04/28/14 at 04:55:55 by wickedbiker »  
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: The notorious oil leak, there mist be an easy
Reply #1 - 04/24/14 at 10:22:29

should be noted that directions and locations are from the viewpoint of the seated rider.

Hence that should be referred to as right side.

No, there is no shortcut to a permanent fix.
The problem is access, even if you pull off the header, you'd have to train a rat to stuff packing in around the plug from the bottom.  And whatever packing you use has to be high temp sh!t to last or turn your bike into a Molotov cocktail.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 04/24/14 at 10:47:15

Leave it be, when the almost guaranteed to happen speedometer cable leak starts, it will off set the lopsided "goo" look...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/24/14 at 11:25:40

How many miles on it? If you havent had to change the cam chain yet, just wait. Youll be right there & ready to lay hands on it when its time.
If ya dont have a Versy, get one, read up on "the fix" for that leak, get all the stuff ready, then, when its time, wade off in it,
FWIW, I never touched the head bolts on mine, sold it at 20,000 miles, never a leak up top. Ive never owned anything that required I re-torque head bolts. & that the book calls for it, over & over? WHY??

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #4 - 04/24/14 at 12:01:51

WD wrote on 04/24/14 at 10:47:15:
Leave it be, when the almost guaranteed to happen speedometer cable leak starts, it will off set the lopsided "goo" look...

That sucks! I have just a bit over 1,5000 on the used engine I got on eBay. Maybe I'll ride the nuts off of it the way it is and just scrap the engine for a newer one come tax season.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/24/14 at 12:14:24

If youve got that kinda $$, do it! Put that engine on the bench, open it up, have the cylinder bored & treated, do some porting, get a carb & build it up. Put that bike on a diet, peel some pounds off it, & have ya a hot rod 650.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/24/14 at 13:07:45

This is good advice coming waaay too late - but you shoulda' replaced the head plug before you put the engine in the frame.  It would have been really easy then......it is a much more involved process now.

(Other folks...make a note of this.  Replace the head plug with a new one if you buy a used engine.....before you install the engine).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #7 - 04/24/14 at 16:24:50

Dave wrote on 04/24/14 at 13:07:45:
This is good advice coming waaay too late - but you shoulda' replaced the head plug before you put the engine in the frame.  It would have been really easy then......it is a much more involved process now.

(Other folks...make a note of this.  Replace the head plug with a new one if you buy a used engine.....before you install the engine).

Yup!!!!

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/24/14 at 18:31:53

Replacing that plug,.. is way easier than installing an engine...

You only need to remove the top head cover, not the whole head... It ain't that bad...
An hour or two... and a $10.00 plug...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/25/14 at 00:55:29

& youll be RIGHT there when youre doin the cam chain,, If its got 15,000 on it,, its close enough to time,,
Row, does the cam hafta come out? Can he just slap a Versy in?

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #10 - 04/26/14 at 18:37:14

Yea I recently did mine with engine in frame.  It gets tedious taking the head off.  Then you got to put it back on.  Patience is a plus.  I got lucky and didn't even have to readjust valves

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Re: The notorious oil leak, there must be an easy
Reply #11 - 04/28/14 at 05:04:32

OK I went ahead and took the leap and bought red high heat gasket and used a chop stick for a spatula and gooped it onto the end and carefully spaculed it onto the upper area where the cap is. I have an old engine with the head off and used it to understand where everything was before doing so, but to make it simple it is a nickle sized round area right above the nut in that crevice. Anyway it WORKED!!! I used to have a small puddle after riding on my clutch casing and now it is dry as a bone. I used a paper towel on the end of something to carfully wipe what I could out of there then used carb and choke cleaner to get the rest out I then immidiatly sprayed it out with the hose because you dont want to leave carb and choke cleaner on that stuf for any time at all. It was pretty cleaned out after that then I used about 3-4 small round globs on the end of the chop stick (Thats 3-4 different times not at once) and scraped up ward cleaning off excess where I could in the opening. I have had some pretty heavy rides thus far and it is working great. I figured even if it is temporary I can clean it all up when I do replace the cam chain or whatever but it works great for now believe me this leak was a nucence when it was there so hpfully this will help someone else. I would not suggest this as a permanent solution but I will keep up with this thread if at any time it does decide to fight back and start leaking again.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/28/14 at 05:21:42

It will be interesting to see how this holds up.

I did a similar thing once...a long time ago.  I had a VW bus and it developed a crack on the block behind the flywheel that would seep oil.  The cylinder spigot has a thin spot there...and after 100,000 miles it cracked.  I had no money but I did have a lot of time and could get the engine out in less than an hour.  I first tried sealing it with epoxy, and it would eventually crack and the leak would come back (not sure if knew about JB Weld at the time).  The second try I used RTV and it seemed to do the trick....I sold the Van about a year later and it was not leaking.

I suppose that was around 1980, and the technical advances in "ackum pucky" to seal and glue things together makes us look darn primitive back then.  If you wanted to seal something up you used Gasket Shellac or that sticky brown Perma-Tex.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 04/28/14 at 20:35:52

wickedbiker wrote on 04/28/14 at 05:04:32:
OK I went ahead and took the leap and bought red high heat gasket and used a chop stick for a spatula and gooped it onto the end and carefully spaculed it onto the upper area where the cap is.

Can you post a picture?

IP Logged
wickedbiker

Riding a Wicked
Savage Custom

Tampa Bay, FL.
Reply #14 - 04/29/14 at 06:22:10

S-P wrote on 04/28/14 at 20:35:52:
wickedbiker wrote on 04/28/14 at 05:04:32:
OK I went ahead and took the leap and bought red high heat gasket and used a chop stick for a spatula and gooped it onto the end and carefully spaculed it onto the upper area where the cap is.

Can you post a picture?

Sure, but this is the best that I could do it was tight between the camera phone and the header pipe.

Looking upward into the crevice

and just for the heck of it a pick of my ride. She's coming along quite nicely if I do say so myself

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 03:03:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The notorious oil leak, there must be an easy fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.