Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Speedometer & Tachometer (Read 236 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Savage Speedometer & Tachometer
04/22/14 at 08:54:55

Anyone got a suggestion for getting a Speedometer and Tachometer for a Suzuki Savage?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Savage Speedometer & Tachometer
Reply #1 - 04/22/14 at 09:22:09

Air Tech unit and a handful of resistors for the tach wire. Digital, and has a front wheel signal generator. So you can change rear tire sizes at random without affecting accuracy. And turn the stock speedometer mount into a cup holder...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/22/14 at 17:54:58

I got a speedo and tach from Dime City Cycles and then installed a volt meter in the stock speedo spot.  Nice having the speedo in view instead of having to look down at it, also great having a trip meter now to track gas usage!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 04/22/14 at 19:07:32

Depends whether you are a digital or analogue fancier. J P Cycles, Catalyst Cycles all have relatively cheap analogue versions. If you go for this type of thing get a white face black dial as they are easier to read at night. There is a really fancy digital thing called Vapor Trail, I understand it isn't cheap.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #4 - 04/23/14 at 16:26:41

ToesNose wrote on 04/22/14 at 17:54:58:
I got a speedo and tach from Dime City Cycles and then installed a volt meter in the stock speedo spot.  Nice having the speedo in view instead of having to look down at it, also great having a trip meter now to track gas usage!   Wink

Which tach did you get, the 1:4 or 1:7 ratio?

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/23/14 at 22:05:24

jcstokes wrote on 04/22/14 at 19:07:32:
Depends whether you are a digital or analogue fancier. J P Cycles, Catalyst Cycles all have relatively cheap analogue versions. If you go for this type of thing get a white face black dial as they are easier to read at night. There is a really fancy digital thing called Vapor Trail, I understand it isn't cheap.

The tail tech is about $200 last I checked,  but I've been really interested in getting one of the GPS spedo / tach units that you can get from Dime City and I've seen them in other sites,  but unfortunately those run around $400...  Does any one have experience with the GPS units?   Seems like the best solution for rear wheel and chain conversions,  and the tach is a nice bonus in my opinion.

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #6 - 04/24/14 at 08:31:23

Would something like this speedometer work?  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Dual-Odometer-Speedometer-Gauge-...

I don't need anything fancy.  I just would rather look straight ahead and see how fast I was going then having to look down at the gas tank.

Would the speedometer cable on the Savage already work with this?  Is there anything I would need to do adjust the speed to make sure it was reading correctly?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/24/14 at 09:16:39

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/24/14 at 09:59:34

The company that offers digital speedo/tach combinations is Trail Tech.  Although they don't make a specific model for the Savage - you can adapt either the generic air cooled motorcycle kit - select one for any air cooled motorcycle or quad and you will have to do a bit of adapting for the mount.  They have GPS units ($ 289.95) and they do display speed and rpm, not sure how much benefit the GPS is on a street bike.  The Vapor unit ($ 129.95) has a speedometer that needs a magnet installed on the font wheel hub and a sensor stickey taped to the fork leg....and they display outside temperature (but about 10 degrees to high), engine temperature, hours, total and trip odometers, max speed, max temp, max rpm, etc. etc.  If you want to add the dashboard that includes a place for the 4 indicator lights (left and right turn signal, high beam, neutral light) it is an additional $ 54.95....and most likely you will need to buy an extra plain magnet to glue to the brake disc.  The Stryker unit does similar...without a tachometer but is is only $ 10 less ($ 199.95) so most folks don't bother with it.  They also have some $ 84.95 things made for quads that "might/could" be adapted.

They work fine, I have not yet been able to get my tach to be competely stable and the rpms jump around a little bit.  I initiall tried direct connection to the coil and would get a mid rpm spike - so a few weeks ago I tried the 5 wraps around the spark plug wire and at idle the digital rpm will jump about about 80 rpm for a second or two even though the idle is stable.  I believe a few more wraps around the spark plug wire are supposed to help.

If you don't like the flat digital computer look....then what Trail Tech has to offer won't help you.

http://www.trailtech.net/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #9 - 04/25/14 at 12:37:22

Thanks all for the information!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 04/26/14 at 04:17:25

Quote:
Which tach did you get, the 1:4 or 1:7 ratio?

I got the electric one SP
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 05:00:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Speedometer & Tachometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.