Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
brakes woes (Read 340 times)
JBK

MS
brakes woes
04/15/14 at 20:40:43

So bikes back together. Only have 2 small problems.  No front or rear brakes.  I cleaned the old fluid out (13 yrs old) and put everything back together.   bled according to this site.   But got no pressure to the pads.   Fluid is making it to the caliper.  But nothing happening.  Now the back.   Left alone but on the pedal I get no return after pressing down.  The spring is on right.   But I noticed it is loose fitting on the rod.  What's making it not return?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: brakes woes
Reply #1 - 04/15/14 at 21:13:29

how did you bleed the fluid?

and there's a spring on the foot pedal that doesn't get put on correctly.

WWW   IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #2 - 04/15/14 at 21:51:39

Also check that on the front the pads are on EITHER side of the disk, if they arn't, no brake's. How do I know this? New tire on a CBR1000f, I refitted the wheel, test ride......... Take about pucker factor!!!!!!

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #3 - 04/15/14 at 22:57:30

just reread your post. You didn't remove the wheel did you? just disregard my ramblings then. Sorry.

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/16/14 at 03:45:24

For the back brake.....make sur the front pedal is free to move and not all gummed up or rusty (do the same for the shift pedal while you are checking things).  The pedal locations are right up in the path of the spray from the front tire and all kind of junk gets thrown at them.  If the pedal is stuck and won't return the brake won't work.  There is a spring at this pedal that is supposed to be hooked over the peg mount and it often slips off if you have removed the peg.  Check the cable and make sure it is working freely, and finally you need to check the brake arm on the hub.  The shaft that passes through the brake backing plate should be lubed and working freely.  You can take the nut off the threaded end of the cable and pull the cable out, and work the parts to see what could be haning up.

For the front brake - it is sometimes hard to get things bled as the air wants to move up the brake hose as the same time you are trying to push it down.  Not sure of the process you are using - when I did mine I used a hand vacuum pump to pull the fluid down from the master cylinder and kept pumping until I got fluid without bubbles.  I then started to bleed the system by pumping the master cylinder until I had some resistance at the lever - then opened the bleed screw and let the pressure off as the flud ran out.  Then close the bleed screw and pump again.....and I kept doing this until I was sure all the air was out and I had a good lever pull.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 04/16/14 at 05:14:03

http://www.bikebandit.com/2006-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m147605#sch512196

Part #10 in the diagram is the return spring for the rear brake pedal. If it's not installed right the pedal wont return. If you had the foot peg bracket on that side off for any reason the spring probably popped out of place. Mine did . I had to fiddle around for a while before I figured out how to get it hooked back on so it worked.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/16/14 at 08:02:22

Did you remove the caliper or just drain fluid? If you pulled the caliper, tell us what all ya did. Hard to find the mistake in a post that just says "I did everything right"..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #7 - 04/17/14 at 18:00:17

The pic on bike bandit shows the spring on the outside of the pedal. Is that right? Seems like it only fits on the inside.   Am I missing something?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 04/17/14 at 19:10:20

If by outside you mean on the side of the brake pedal closest to the foot peg that's right. The diagram may be a little confusing because it doesn't show the footrest bracket.

If you have a Clymers Manual there is a diagram on page 325 that shows the relationship of the parts better. It even shows how the spring is installed.

The pedal pivots on a stud on the back side of the footrest bracket. The spring fits over the part of the pedal that slides over the stud closest to the footrest bracket, The side of the spring without the hook bent into it is basically up against the BACK of the footrest bracket. The hooked end of the spring hooks over the end of the pedal near where the brake cable is attatched. The straight part of the spring needs to be BEHIND the hollow boss on the frame that the  long bolt( the front engine mount bolt actually) that comes from the other side of the bike and holds the front of both peg brackets on.

I hope that makes sense - or that someone can post a picture.

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #9 - 04/18/14 at 04:37:18

Thats exactly how mine is mounted.  Still got no return.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 04/18/14 at 05:07:04

Disconnect the cable from the pedal. See if the pedal snaps back up when you depress it. The tension of the spring holds the pedal up. If it doesn't it's not in right, or the pedal is binding on the stud that it pivots on.

If the pedal works ok then disconnect the end of the cable attatched to the brake arm at the rear wheel and push/pull on the cable. make sure it is free.

Same with the brake arm. Move it back and forth with the cable off and make sure it's free.

With the cable disconnected from the arm and the pedal you should be able to determine where the problem is.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/18/14 at 05:14:37

oldNslow:

Yep....absolutely.

The rear brake cable needs to be disconnected from the brake arm....and things need to be wiggled to see what is hanging up.  Something is in a bind.....needs cleaned and lubed.

JBK needs to get his hands dirty this weekend.......

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JBK

MS
Reply #12 - 04/19/14 at 15:02:37

alright took it apart and put it back together a little more carefully this time.....got rear brakes now.  since thats done, thought i'd fire her up for the first time in months.  all it will do is turn over.  battery is pretty weak with being attached to charger.  its got fuel getting to the carb.  no leaks.  one thing is white smoke trying to come out the exhaust.  tried on primer, res, choke in and out, and throttle open.  i did do the oil plug fix over the winter, but everything went back together fine.  could the batt be all but dead?  btw the fuel is new, drained all old months ago.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #13 - 04/19/14 at 15:17:48

JBK wrote on 04/19/14 at 15:02:37:
alright took it apart and put it back together a little more carefully this time.....got rear brakes now.  since thats done, thought i'd fire her up for the first time in months.  all it will do is turn over.  battery is pretty weak with being attached to charger.  its got fuel getting to the carb.  no leaks.  one thing is white smoke trying to come out the exhaust.  tried on primer, res, choke in and out, and throttle open.  i did do the oil plug fix over the winter, but everything went back together fine.  could the batt be all but dead?  btw the fuel is new, drained all old months ago.  

When all else fails, try a shot of starter fluid in the carb. A couple second shot and let it evaporate a little. If it fires up you've eliminated spark and electrical issues. Could be a stuck float or gummed up if it has been sitting with old gas in the carb. Battery could definitely be an problem if it is weak.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 04/19/14 at 15:26:45

Quote:
Battery could definitely be an problem if it is weak.

Yup. Check that first. Make sure it is fully charged and not on it's last legs. Very common,well known issue with these bikes . Starter will crank the engine but if the battery is weak there is not enough juice left to fire the plug.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/13/24 at 09:54:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brakes woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.