eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Start and Run Problems
04/21/14 at 06:40:27

Hello all,

I'm a nubie. I just picked up a 2000 Savage as a starter bike. It had 4900 miles on it and I picked it up for $900. I bought a new battery and it started right up. I took it to the dealer to get checked out and they cleaned the carb (did not rebuild) and replaced the spark plug. I had it sputter and backfire some so I did the Yamaha Rapture peacock change out (very simple process, thanks). OK so here's my problem. When I was originally riding it (before taking to dealer), it would start fine but after riding it, it acted like it did not want to stay running. When I shut it down then tried to restart after a couple minutes (like after filling up), it would click like it had a bad battery. I mentioned this to the dealer when I took it in. The service department told me they had no issues with it and cleaning the carb was all it looked like it needed. I asked about the charging system and they showed me how to look at it and test it. With a voltmeter attached, turn the key on (13.8v), then start (13.9v) then rev the engine to riding speed (14.1v). He said everything looked great and I was happy. Then he went to start it again to take it from the shop to the pickup area and click - nothing. He then turn the key off and back on and it started. He told me it was the starter relay. He said they would need to order one but it would be cheaper for me to find it, take it off and go to a AutoZone to buy a aftermarket replacement (couple dollars). I could not find the relay so I haven't replaced it. I went out yesterday. Filled up, stopped at Wally-World then Walgreens then back home. Wife was at mothers so I decided to take a ride. Rode about 40 miles and had it sputter and backfire on the highway (after the Rapture replacement). While riding, I pulled the clutch and revved the engine some. It sputtered and backfired then almost felt like it got thru it and it ran fine again. After 20 more miles, I was about home so I decided to fill back up before going home. Stopped at my favorite Ethanol Free gas station, turned the bike off, filled up and when I went to start it nothing. No lights nothing. I sat there for about 20 minutes because I'm thinking maybe something is happening when the engine is hot. After 20 minutes (testing the switch the whole time) I got lights but when I tried to turn it over I got a click, click. After another 10 minutes, it started right up like nothing was wrong and I drove home.

So, first thanks for reading that long post but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible. Second, is there a starter relay and could it be failing causing this or do I have another electrical issue? and finely, can this electrical issue be causing the sputter and backfire issue? Thanks in advance for any insight and or help.

Eric

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Start and Run Problems
Reply #1 - 04/21/14 at 07:03:33

check the ground cable attachment on the engine near the oil level window.

WWW   IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Re: Start and Run Problems
Reply #2 - 04/21/14 at 08:32:34

verslagen1 wrote on 04/21/14 at 07:03:33:
check the ground cable attachment on the engine near the oil level window.

Oh a pesky ground issue. I didn't even think about that. Thanks. I will check this when I get home. I've had issues just like this on a boat and it was a ground issue.

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:16:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Start and Run Problems